RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/28/2019 12:30:07 PM)

Not sure if this is right or not, but the NATO units Alouette IIs have a "bombardment range" in the unit detail, but there is not a "range" button in the screen that lets you set the range. I think those should have range option?

Looks like it might be all of those, the ones I've looked at so far all are missing the option to set range.

Some range would help there around Lubeck, looks like WP sure has a lot of tanks pointed at Lubeck

[image]local://upfiles/18399/690636D6490D467F9A67C5B2743F578A.jpg[/image]

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/28/2019 1:23:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hellen_slith

Not sure if this is right or not, but the NATO units Alouette IIs have a "bombardment range" in the unit detail, but there is not a "range" button in the screen that lets you set the range. I think those should have range option?

Looks like it might be all of those, the ones I've looked at so far all are missing the option to set range.

Some range would help there around Lubeck, looks like WP sure has a lot of tanks pointed at Lubeck

[image]local://upfiles/18399/690636D6490D467F9A67C5B2743F578A.jpg[/image]

I corrected all helicopter units recently because I confused helicopter attack with heli transport (my eyes have a heck of a time distinguishing those symbols). That unit along with others should be either a heli recon or attack icon symbol. You should see a fix on final rollout.

Looks like WP is amassing for attack!

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/28/2019 5:29:20 PM)

Great! Ya, I saw a few more ... looks like it was all the Attack and Recon helicopters that were missing the range. Not sure if you saw it, you might look at Belgium I Corps, it has a Transport Helicopter unit in there that also looks like it might need range, not sure.

Thanks again! Looks like its going to be a fun scenario!

sapper32 -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/28/2019 9:09:19 PM)

Hey guys im not sure if you have updated the units in this scenario but ive noticed that the British 16th Parachute brigade appears after a few turns however this formation was disbanded in 1976? The para battalions attatched were put into 5th Infantry Brigade minus one which was stationed in Ulster, Also 3rd Airmobile division isn't correct only 24 Brigade was airmobile don't think the 9th Brigade stayed active after 1965 and as mentioned earlier in the post 5 Brigade was UK based for out of area operations, British 3rd Division was an Armoured division from 1976 based in Germany as part of BR I Corps.

Ian

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/28/2019 9:59:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Hey guys im not sure if you have updated the units in this scenario but ive noticed that the British 16th Parachute brigade appears after a few turns however this formation was disbanded in 1976? The para battalions attatched were put into 5th Infantry Brigade minus one which was stationed in Ulster, Also 3rd Airmobile division isn't correct only 24 Brigade was airmobile don't think the 9th Brigade stayed active after 1965 and as mentioned earlier in the post 5 Brigade was UK based for out of area operations, British 3rd Division was an Armoured division from 1976 based in Germany as part of BR I Corps.

Ian

Yes, an enormous amount of change was made to the orbat. If you could, download the beta and see what you think. The British and especially the French went through a big change in the late 1970's that are reflected in Expanded.

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/29/2019 12:46:20 AM)

Hello, I started a hot seat game, "Sudden War" option, did not choose to invade Austria.

Turn 2, I was able to attack Austrian airfields w/ WP SCUDs and at least some aircraft (only tried some Czech aircraft that were close by.) Found that I could also attack ground targets with air units.

Never thought of trying that before, so I tried it. Haven't resolved combat, will probably just waste ammo. But thought I would try it. If I do any damage, I will try to attrite them to death :)

[image]local://upfiles/18399/65032261B1B34079BF323066D94B18F1.jpg[/image]

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/29/2019 12:51:25 AM)

Yep, it worked. Could not attack Austrians w/ ranged equipment set to range 0, but could w/ range 1.

SCUDs, Air, and Arty all doing damage on those peaceable Austrians.

Let's see how much I can soften them up ...

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/29/2019 11:01:56 AM)

quote:

Yep, it worked. Could not attack Austrians w/ ranged equipment set to range 0, but could w/ range 1.

SCUDs, Air, and Arty all doing damage on those peaceable Austrians.

Let's see how much I can soften them up ...

In the Original game, air strikes were taking place before a declaration of war (of which I could not find a solution in Events :( ). Also, air movement/transport can take place over neutrals and forbidden hexes...

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/29/2019 12:58:12 PM)

ah, I see ... OK, well, I think I'll really try to get some moves in today. Going to post an AAR, so hope to post a few more screenshots. Fun game! Thanks again!

cathar1244 -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/29/2019 1:48:35 PM)

quote:

In the Original game, air strikes were taking place before a declaration of war (of which I could not find a solution in Events

It might be possible to have all air and artillery units deploy as reinforcements once the declaration of war event occurs. Probably still possible for players to get gamey, though. May be a thing for a house rule.

Cheers

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/29/2019 10:43:06 PM)

Hello again, I was playing my "hotseat" game (AAR in the other forum) and when I tried to embark (onto rail movement) the attached British anti-air units, the game crashed to the "load game" menu.

First time, I embarked that first in the list, managed to move it to Austria, and it was interdicted ... so I clicked "next unit" to embark that second British anti-air. Right click, embark, little blue circle ... and the game crashed to load game menu.

Reloaded game. British anit-air unit, right click, embark ... blue circle, crashed to load game menu.

I was too scared to try it again...but anyway, looked like it might be a reproducible bug, not sure but those units seem to be a little hinky about taking trains.

Anyway, thanks again! Fun game!

[image]local://upfiles/18399/DF9AEB9EC43042A2B36742896C4D32C6.jpg[/image]

larryfulkerson -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/30/2019 2:52:14 AM)

quote:

Hello again, I was playing my "hotseat" game (AAR in the other forum) and when I tried to embark (onto rail movement) the attached British anti-air units, the game crashed to the "load game" menu.

First time, I embarked that first in the list, managed to move it to Austria, and it was interdicted ... so I clicked "next unit" to embark that second British anti-air. Right click, embark, little blue circle ... and the game crashed to load game menu.

Reloaded game. British anit-air unit, right click, embark ... blue circle, crashed to load game menu.

I was too scared to try it again...but anyway, looked like it might be a reproducible bug, not sure but those units seem to be a little hinky about taking trains.

Anyway, thanks again! Fun game!

[image]local://upfiles/18399/DF9AEB9EC43042A2B36742896C4D32C6.jpg[/image]

I'm not sure but I don't think it's supposed to CTD. Maybe you might want to post something in the Tech Help section to get somebody on the development team to look into that.

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/30/2019 3:33:35 AM)

Hi Larry, yeah, I was just thinking I should try to find the crash log ... but I disabled that function whilst switching to compatibility mode. Will try to reproduce the event w/ crash log <equals> ON and post results here before I venture in to Tech.

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/31/2019 12:45:45 PM)

BAOR 201 Sec. Bn is out of uniform.

They've been given extra KP and have been restricted to base.

LoL just thought you might want to double-check that they get the right uniforms on when you re-do the colors.

Thanks again!

[image]local://upfiles/18399/FCCC437308CE4F3E930FCD64BB22DDC3.jpg[/image]

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (3/31/2019 7:13:53 PM)

Just noticed, that BAOR unit should (I think?) actually be in the WG formation that has the other Sec. Bn

IOW, right uniform, but wrong formation. There were a couple others in BAOR like that...(WG Sec. Bn in BAOR formation)

Thanks again!

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/2/2019 10:14:33 AM)

quote:

Just noticed, that BAOR unit should (I think?) actually be in the WG formation that has the other Sec. Bn

IOW, right uniform, but wrong formation. There were a couple others in BAOR like that...(WG Sec. Bn in BAOR formation)

Thanks again!

This is intended. A source has it that the BAOR had attached several West German security units. Put those uniforms back on, you don't want naked German security troopers roaming the backside of the BAOR. [sm=00000622.gif]

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/2/2019 10:31:16 AM)

quote:

Another observation (looking at NATO forces on their turn 2 in "Tension" mode) ....

The entire Italian army is already mobilized (same for French / Belg / Dutch / looks like all of NATO). If memory serves, in the original version, the Italians don't mobilized until like turns 5 or 6 (?) maybe earlier if Austria is invaded, and even then not all forces. Seems like the French were a bit later, and def. in the original the Danes are not ready at all at turn 2.

Anyway, not sure if that was by design (b/c of the added WP forces) or if it might be a bit too early for NATO to have all those forces ready to move on turn 2 (tension mode.) Just thought you might want to pull back NATO mobilization ... noticed in events the time frame accounted for re: REFORGER and thought, all those forces could not possibly ready to move that quick, even if they already there.

Thanks again for the great scene!

All Game Turn 2 units are were they are supposed to be and deployed historically. When you look at the Orbat, you will notice a plethora of reinforcements mobilizing/arriving on-map throughout the scenario time frame. Remember, each turn is 3.5 days so many, but certainly not all, are arriving quickly based on that nation's mobilization schedule.

Also while I was play testing several weeks ago, I did not like the original NATO GT2 movement, so I changed it. This would apply to the Tension scenario as well:

quote:

I am making some changes to the initial mobilization time line through the Event Editor. This applies to the 1st turn of war only (GT2)"Sudden War":
- WP forces take 24 hours to assemble, thus their movement is reduced by 24/84 = -28%.
- NATO take a 20 hour delay to respond/surprise, plus 24 hrs to assemble. Movement = -56%
- I tweaked the SHOCK values, WP 123, NATO 98, which = 25% WP advantage. I did this so that more NATO units will not be frozen/unmovable on the first turn.

The net result for WP is that they still have a 25% shock advantage, but their advance/penetration reduced to 72% movement. For NATO, retarded movement to their war time deployment areas and a 2% chance that a formation will be unable to move.

Keep up the good work! As you move forward, let me know what you think about the Soviet supply levels. It was suggested earlier in the design process that it may need to be adjusted upward.

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/2/2019 11:50:18 AM)

Ah, ok!! Did not know that. Nice touch on those types of details.

Enjoying it very much!

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/3/2019 12:30:22 AM)

quote:

Enjoying it very much!

Keep posting any feedback since my final roll-out should be soon with some changes. I overhauled (again, and again) the naval units, the above mobilization, new unit colors (massive help from Cathar), and a bunch of other tweaking.

As you get 3-6 GT's of war, pay attention to Soviet supply levels and let me know if it needs more.

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/3/2019 12:30:44 AM)

Thanks, Larry, for some reason I suspect that it is a video issue on my end (I have a weird setup, HTML to the big TV, so I can SEE those tiny fonts, working on learning how to edit the fonts display LoL). But, it seems to occur only in TNW-Expanded. I have taken to saving the game after every formation move, and esp. after making big moves w/ trains and aircraft.

If it persists, I'll break out my real computer monitor and use a harder cable....I don't think its the game, its just on my end. Something about the map, though, I think ... that Leningrad thing over on the right side .... I think something either goes there? or maybe the map could be truncated there?

Just a wild guess. It is a great scenario! Tons of fun!!! Well, talk to you later!

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/3/2019 12:34:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mussey

quote:

Enjoying it very much!

Keep posting any feedback since my final roll-out should be soon with some changes. I overhauled (again, and again) the naval units, the above mobilization, new unit colors (massive help from Cathar), and a bunch of other tweaking.

As you get 3-6 GT's of war, pay attention to Soviet supply levels and let me know if it needs more.

Hello, in my "hotseat" Next War (AAR in the other forum) I had the message from turn 2 that Italy "refuses to send troops outside her borders".

I find now that Italy can indeed move troops outside her borders into Austria.

I tried to "replicate" the event in the prior Bob Cross version, but never had any luck drawing a "no troops" card for Italy....

But I did get some that said (e.g.), "East Germany refuses to participate" or "Czechs refuse to participate". In those draws, the EG and Czechs had the little yellow band on them that indicates an event prevented them from moving.

Just thought that it should be likewise for the Italians, but the msg "refuses to send troops outside her borders" is a bit diff. than "refuses to participate".

A technicality, I know, and perhaps I am splitting hairs ... we wound up in our game using a "hotseat" house rule that It. cannot move troops into Austria. Still, an Air interceptor fr. It helped out in one battle for NATO. Rogue unit?

Not sure how the event engine works, but that is something you might look into ... forcing a "no movement" onto It. forces if "Italy refuses" <equals> YES

Anyway, thanks again for such a great scenario, this is def my fave! Can't wait for the "gold" version!!

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/3/2019 12:41:00 AM)

quote:

Thanks, Larry, for some reason I suspect that it is a video issue on my end (I have a weird setup, HTML to the big TV, so I can SEE those tiny fonts, working on learning how to edit the fonts display LoL). But, it seems to occur only in TNW-Expanded. I have taken to saving the game after every formation move, and esp. after making big moves w/ trains and aircraft.

If it persists, I'll break out my real computer monitor and use a harder cable....I don't think its the game, its just on my end. Something about the map, though, I think ... that Leningrad thing over on the right side .... I think something either goes there? or maybe the map could be truncated there?

Just a wild guess. It is a great scenario! Tons of fun!!! Well, talk to you later!

To the right (east) of Leningrad is the Leningrad Military District 0ff-map box. Units from Arkhangelsk and Vologda will arrive there. As a design decision, I decided to create the map space between Kaliningrad and Leningrad up to Murmansk since so many Soviet units of the Baltic District are here. It also serves the purpose of giving the Soviets freedom to commit their vast reserves where they will. This was done knowing there would be a lot of dead space on the map, since much of the fighting will be well west of it.

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/3/2019 2:14:45 AM)

Thanks, Col.!! <salute> I was kind of wondering about that space, I was like ... ??? That explains it!!

Wow, this is SO much fun to play ... well, back to the game!! Thanks again!!!!

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/3/2019 10:04:00 AM)

quote:

I tried to "replicate" the event in the prior Bob Cross version, but never had any luck drawing a "no troops" card for Italy....

But I did get some that said (e.g.), "East Germany refuses to participate" or "Czechs refuse to participate". In those draws, the EG and Czechs had the little yellow band on them that indicates an event prevented them from moving.

The Events as created by Bob Cross are complex to say the least. I tweaked a few, but mainly kept it as is. For Beta/playtesting purposes I changed all Warsaw Pact participation levels to 1% (from 10%) so that I could experience the full WP onslaught and to see if any future game balance decisions were needed. In your download, there should be an Excel WS (Events) that list the major Events by # that you can tweak (be careful!).

As designed, if the "No Units Across Borders" is drawn the Italians can send forces into Austria ONLY if WP invades it. From a strategic aspect if the Soviets know that Italy will not send troops across there borders (50%), then maybe they can hold off an invasion of Austria?

Excellent feedback!

cathar1244 -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/3/2019 4:54:43 PM)

Mussey,

Just a side comment here about the Italy-Austria discussion. At some point, it would be more realistic to have the border fortifications represented for both Italy and Austria. Those may make vacations in Vienna less attractive to the Soviet player.

Cheers

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/4/2019 7:32:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

The Events as created by Bob Cross are complex to say the least. I tweaked a few, but mainly kept it as is. For Beta/playtesting purposes I changed all Warsaw Pact participation levels to 1% (from 10%) so that I could experience the full WP onslaught and to see if any future game balance decisions were needed. In your download, there should be an Excel WS (Events) that list the major Events by # that you can tweak (be careful!).

As designed, if the "No Units Across Borders" is drawn the Italians can send forces into Austria ONLY if WP invades it. From a strategic aspect if the Soviets know that Italy will not send troops across there borders (50%), then maybe they can hold off an invasion of Austria?

Excellent feedback!

Ah, ok, I see. I'm not going to do any tweaking, that's for sure! Never did understand much if anything about events, and I can't design scene worth a flip. I tried to do a small Velikiye Luki once, but that didn't go far LoL!! ANYWAY,

So, I think then, since WP did invade Austria in our hot-seat game, the Italians should be in it ... without them, NATO is just going to get shredded. I can't move a lot of NATO forces from WG to Austria w/o abandoning the West German defense.

So, Gen. Rogers will be glad to know that Italy has decided they'll help out the Austrians. Thanks for the tip!! It will make that Austrian debacle a little easier for NATO down there, and add an interesting possibility for counter-offensive. Thanks again!!

PS: any ideas about when the final might be ready? Really looking forward to it.

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/5/2019 4:24:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

Mussey,

Just a side comment here about the Italy-Austria discussion. At some point, it would be more realistic to have the border fortifications represented for both Italy and Austria. Those may make vacations in Vienna less attractive to the Soviet player.

Cheers

This is what I have so far. Several fortress battalions manning the northeast.

But I think the fate of Italy is movement beyond the north Italian plain and into the rugged Austrian Alps in conjuncture with the German Mtn Div (and any other NATO units) to her north. Any surviving Austrian forces could retreat to the Alps and join with incoming NATO forces to create a redoubt. For Italy, those mtn passes into Austria afford her time and space to to hinder Soviet intentions.

As for NATO, the key is to keep Austria in the war and Salzburg is paramount. The loss of each major city beyond Vienna increases the odds of Austrian surrender but a 20% chance if Salz is captured (the other major cities of Vienna, Linz, Graz are 5%).

AS for this scenario as presently depicted, Yugoslavia is passive, yet in reality Italy would have to prepare for defense if she were to join the WP...

[image]local://upfiles/23116/52D0913B0CD0428AA01BF59B2222B43E.jpg[/image]

Hellen_slith -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/6/2019 12:26:56 AM)

quote:

quote:

Thanks again!

This is intended. A source has it that the BAOR had attached several West German security units. Put those uniforms back on, you don't want naked German security troopers roaming the backside of the BAOR. [sm=00000622.gif]

LoL roger that. Ok, they have been released from KP w/ apologies. We certainly don't want naked Germans doing KP!!!! Times are hot there, everyone is on edge. Thanks again for the great scene!!!

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/6/2019 1:55:47 AM)

OK, naval equipment has been modified and ready for play-testing. In three pics this is what it looks like on 3rd Game turn of war in the North Atlantic and Baltic seas. 1 of 3, Soviets are overwhelming Denmark. Note, each fleet unit is 3-4 vessels.:

[image]local://upfiles/23116/DA398C9D5AE945939A74A1280B6D27E6.jpg[/image]

mussey -> RE: Next War 1979 - Expanded (Beta 1.0) play testers needed (4/6/2019 1:58:58 AM)

Pic 2 of 3, Soviet Northern Fleet attempts to blockade Narvik:

[image]local://upfiles/23116/418AF68E5212433A820EB595CA24CFEC.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI