rkr1958 -> RE: Witness to World War 2. (1/13/2019 8:04:20 PM)
Turn 7. July/August 1940. Allied #1.
(1) Immediately deploy a second BEF army, here-forth known as the 2nd BEF Army, under command of General Wavell to France.
(2) Maintain complete defense of Egypt and the Suez Canal.
(3) Maintain neutrality naval operations in the Med and Atlantic with respect to the non-belligerent, and neutral, Italy.
2nd BEF Army and Deployments.
(1) Forces consist of Wavell HQ-A, 6-5 XI Mot, 5-3 London Mil.
(2) General Wavell HQ-A (Egypt) to Malta (1st combine) and then to southern France (2nd combine). (2 TRS and escorts in Portsmouth assigned)
(3) 6-5 XI Mot (Portsmouth) to Northern France (1st combine, 1 TRS and escorts in Portsmouth assigned).
(4) 5-3 London MIL to Brest, through the Bay of Biscay (2nd combine). (1 NEI TRS in Halifax, originally assigned to transport 5-2 CAN MIL there, but (re)assigned to this mission).
British 8th Army, Egypt.
(1) LTG Quinan upon departure of General Wavell will (temporarily) assume command of all Commonwealth forces in Egypt, which are to be designated as the British 8th Army.
(2) Forces consist of 2 Egyptian territorials, CW 2rd Inf div (Malta), 2-4 6 pd A/T gun div (Portsmouth), 5-4 V Inf (Kuala Lumpur, Malaya).
(3) 2-4 6 pd A/T div (Portsmouth) & 3rd Inf Div (Malta) will load onto a TRS in Portsmouth (1st combine) and disembark to Egypt as soon as practical or required.
(4) 5-4 V Inf and Queens will move into East Med (2nd combine) and will disembark to Egypt as soon as practical or required.
Rome. Though Great Britain and, PM Churchill, expect and hope that Italy remains neutral, the reality is that Operation SPLICE, which will be spread at best over two combine impulses, and will initially strip British defenses in Egypt will be just be too much for Mussolini to ignore and not attempt to exploit. However, Operation Splice will be undertaken by the British under the assumption that Italy will remain neutral. Bad assumption ... yes but their assumption never the less.
Below. General Wavell on the right confers with LTG Quianan about upcoming operations and change of commands.