Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War

ice_strength -> Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (12/25/2018 11:47:06 PM)

I am currently playing as the allies against the AI, and its January 1943. The Axis are held at the gates of Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad, but have made rush for the Caucasus.

I am having difficulty making inroads for a counterattack. Russia has just gotten Infantry Weapons level 2, and Armor Warfare (ie tanks can attack twice). But sadly Russia doesn't seem to make a dent.

As a consequence, Stalin implored for a 2nd front, and about 4-5 units with a HQ have landed around Brest. And WA are also attacking Oslo. But this doesn't seem to draw the Axis from the Eastern Front, i think.

Does anyone have any strategy tips on how to defend Russia and then counterattack?

Schokolokos -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (12/26/2018 1:11:30 AM)

The main reason you have problems to hold the Germans is clear - You need Russian INF lvl 2 in Spring 1941, before Barbarossa starts.

WaW Tech allows you to invest 2 chits at same time, Inf lvl 2 is a need for Russia. Its a huge gap between lvl 1 and 2.

With holding all the important cities in Russia you should still be okay to hold, on the long term your income is much bigger than the Axis.

Xenocide -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (12/26/2018 4:01:12 AM)

Maximize lend lease from Britain. Full 40% until the Soviets are rolling forward. Build corps, tanks, and armies with mobility and infantry weapons. Then attack anywhere you can get even odds or better. Even trades are to your advantage once the advance has been stopped. Do not get obsessed with keeping your units at full strength and even losing a few. Just keep the pressure up. I found that I made a little progress in 43 but in 44 I rolled all the way to the border and was slowed but not stopped in the winter so the tide may be about to turn. Once you start taking Soviet cities back your morale will come up and you can fight even more effectively while German morale falls.

If you have not taken Italy out yet do so if possible. Italian units are used as garrisons a lot and knocking them out hurts the Germans.

ice_strength -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (12/26/2018 5:15:12 AM)

Ah. That makes sense. But if i recall correctly, Russia had difficulty getting the necessary MMP for research. I barely made it with Level 1. But that would mean no new units build.

But you give me an idea, perhaps i should not build units, and focus entirely on research.

ice_strength -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (12/26/2018 5:28:15 AM)

Oh! I didn't know i could adjust the lend lease. I have to go figure that out.

Xenocide -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (12/26/2018 3:17:56 PM)

You can adjust lend lease from The US to Britain and from Britain to the Soviets. I would max both for right now. Go to the convoy map to adjust it.

For most of the major powers I max out my research cap before buying any units unless there is something I desperately need.

ice_strength -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (12/27/2018 12:09:16 AM)

I just found that option! Thanks! Very helpful!

jjdenver -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (12/27/2018 10:51:51 AM)

Convoys are not as efficient from US to UK in winter I think so I normally turn them down in winter then back up when they are at 100% again in spring.

ThunderLizard2 -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (1/24/2019 4:04:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

Convoys are not as efficient from US to UK in winter I think so I normally turn them down in winter then back up when they are at 100% again in spring.

So you loss the MPP in winter unless you micro this?

Also, do you places units on border or pull back to interior before war starts?

Kornstalx -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (1/25/2019 5:12:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderLizard2

So you loss the MPP in winter unless you micro this?

Also, do you places units on border or pull back to interior before war starts?

I'm 99% sure you don't lose the MPP, USA will keep the seasonal reduction. No need to micro this.

As far as the border goes, as the Soviets you definitely want to put Garrison units on the border, especially in forts or big cities with a river on them. Doing this will buy you time as they waste turns on these garrisons, and time is everything to the USSR. I usually operate in spare garrisons or buy one or two before Barbarossa.

ThunderLizard2 -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (1/28/2019 3:25:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kornstalx

I'm 99% sure you don't lose the MPP, USA will keep the seasonal reduction. No need to micro this.

As far as the border goes, as the Soviets you definitely want to put Garrison units on the border, especially in forts or big cities with a river on them. Doing this will buy you time as they waste turns on these garrisons, and time is everything to the USSR. I usually operate in spare garrisons or buy one or two before Barbarossa.

So pull armies/corps back and just have garrison units up front?

hellraiser1973 -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (1/29/2019 1:50:16 PM)

Trade real estate for time - this is the name of the game in Russia.

1. Assuming a decent Axis player, Russia cannot hold Axis advance all by herself. So the correct answer to this question is: find ways to use the western allies to ease pressure on the eastern front. If you don't find ways to threaten Axis in other places, they will most likely wipe Russia out.
2. In my experience, it is ok to garrison forward cities (corps will do fine) for the sole purpose of messing the Axis' timetable up. Do not fight in areas that Axis enjoy a decent supply, or you will be crushed. Let them capture some cities, they can't press forward forever, they need the supply to catch up.
3. Pick one or two spots where you will make a stand. Stalingrad, Leningrad, sometimes Moscow are good choices since you got some natural barriers that you can use - marshes , rivers. Fortify those spots in advance. Do not despair if they eventually fall to Axis - you should have by then a decent counterattack force to wipe out their spearheads which will most likely be in bad supply.

ThunderLizard2 -> RE: Defense of the Motherland (strategies) (1/29/2019 4:43:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellraiser1973

Trade real estate for time - this is the name of the game in Russia.

1. Assuming a decent Axis player, Russia cannot hold Axis advance all by herself. So the correct answer to this question is: find ways to use the western allies to ease pressure on the eastern front. If you don't find ways to threaten Axis in other places, they will most likely wipe Russia out.
2. In my experience, it is ok to garrison forward cities (corps will do fine) for the sole purpose of messing the Axis' timetable up. Do not fight in areas that Axis enjoy a decent supply, or you will be crushed. Let them capture some cities, they can't press forward forever, they need the supply to catch up.
3. Pick one or two spots where you will make a stand. Stalingrad, Leningrad, sometimes Moscow are good choices since you got some natural barriers that you can use - marshes , rivers. Fortify those spots in advance. Do not despair if they eventually fall to Axis - you should have by then a decent counterattack force to wipe out their spearheads which will most likely be in bad supply.

So maybe my mistake is trying to hold all three of the big three instead of just 1 or 2? Of the big three which is easiest/best to keep hold of?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI