Event Variants (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

lion_of_judah -> Event Variants (8/21/2018 10:09:33 PM)

If I have objectives with a value, say a capital value is 20 and major cities are 8, how do I program an event variable for a side to win once a certain number has been reached. I've looked at the manual and cannot find any detailed information on how to actually create this.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Event Variants (8/21/2018 10:21:40 PM)

The game engine keeps track of the EVV variable, it a organic part of the game engine and
as far as I know there's no way to "create" a variable. I'm not sure how to use the EVV
variable but Steve Sill would know I think.

Raindem -> RE: Event Variants (8/21/2018 11:31:46 PM)

To program an early victory based on points uses just a single event.

Event #1: Trigger = Force 1 Winning, Value = 20 (or whatever), Effect = End victory 1

And you would use another event to set early victory conditions for side 2.

lion_of_judah -> RE: Event Variants (8/22/2018 12:12:17 AM)

do I have to add an event 1 occupies hex so and so, then this or just this.

larryfulkerson -> RE: Event Variants (8/22/2018 1:01:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem

To program an early victory based on points uses just a single event.

Event #1: Trigger = Force 1 Winning, Value = 20 (or whatever), Effect = End victory 1

And you would use another event to set early victory conditions for side 2.

I'll have to remember that. Thanks Curt dude.

Raindem -> RE: Event Variants (8/22/2018 2:38:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

do I have to add an event 1 occupies hex so and so, then this or just this.

If you want the victory based on points then enter it as shown above.

If you want the victory based on occupation of a specific hex then just change the trigger to 1 (or 2) Occupies and then the hex coordinates.

If you want both victory conditions to apply then you'll need seperate events for each condition.

Lobster -> RE: Event Variants (8/22/2018 2:52:13 AM)

To increment the Variable you can set a Trigger, say someone occupies a city. Then for the effect use the Variable+ to add some number to the Event Engine Value.

Use Variable Value to Trigger an event to signify the accumulation of Variable points. Once that value is reached it Triggers an effect.

So you use Variable+ or Variable- to increase or decrease the Event Engine Value. And you use Variable Value to trigger an event effect when the EEV reaches the value you want. You can use any number of things to add or subtract from the Event Engine Variable.

If you have used some kind of scripting before then you should be able to get a handle on this.

To be sure the Event Engine Variable is set to zero at the beginning of your scenario or to reset it to zero during a scenario just use Variable- and some very large number. It can never be set lower than zero.

Lobster -> RE: Event Variants (8/22/2018 11:13:30 AM)

Here one is added when Minsk is totally in German hands. Event 8 is simply a news item. However, when 8 is triggered then it allows 9 to also be triggered adding one to the Variable value.

[image]local://upfiles/45799/2DFEA576D342434A83D20A3D78579A29.jpg[/image]

lion_of_judah -> RE: Event Variants (8/23/2018 7:04:56 PM)

I suck at programming and kinda understand what you are saying, but if it's not laid out in black and white for me with an example, then I'm almost totally lost. I know, this sucks but I was not any good at programming. :)

lion_of_judah -> RE: Event Variants (8/23/2018 7:06:28 PM)

how do you determine what the total value for the winning side would be then. Say nation one has a total value of 51 and nation 2 has a value of 37,how would I program that.

Lobster -> RE: Event Variants (8/23/2018 10:00:17 PM)

Variable Value as a Trigger. It reads the Event Engine Value and when it reaches the value you assign it one of several things can happen depending on what you want. Open the editor and check it out.

lion_of_judah -> RE: Event Variants (8/24/2018 12:43:02 AM)

okay, thanks

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI