when to turn off active disengagement (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV

gwgardner -> when to turn off active disengagement (5/28/2018 6:55:29 PM)

In the scenario notes for the American Civil War scenario, brigade/division level, the design notes state:

4. The active disengagement option should be set to ‘off’. At this scale units should be able to move near enemy units without a penalty.

Scale and era should indeed factor in to when to use active disengagement, but is there any generally agreed upon set of factors?

Lobster -> RE: when to turn off active disengagement (5/29/2018 1:20:28 PM)

I think the only thing that can be agreed upon is that no matter what is realistic, if the game lets you do it, it will be done if there is an advantage to it and any vacuous excuse will be made as to why it should be okay. [:D]

76mm -> RE: when to turn off active disengagement (5/29/2018 2:30:12 PM)

hmm, at what scale should active disengagement be turned off? I would think that almost whatever the scale, disengagement should be difficult for WWII-era (and later) military formations of whatever size?

I guess it might have been easier in different eras, when weapons only had a range of a few hundred meters, but even then disengagement could be a tricky process.

Lobster -> RE: when to turn off active disengagement (5/29/2018 5:57:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

hmm, at what scale should active disengagement be turned off? I would think that almost whatever the scale, disengagement should be difficult for WWII-era (and later) military formations of whatever size? I guess different when weapons only had a range of a few hundred meters, but even then disengagement could be a tricky process.

Aye. Any time you turn your back on the enemy the consequences will be...uhm...unsatisfactory. [;)]

It should be very rare to disengage and not suffer any casualties as history dictates.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.539063E-02