RE: HPS - Defending the Reich (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Greybriar -> RE: HPS - Defending the Reich (12/13/2018 11:41:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

Doesn't steam gain more than money in the deal? Don't they gain access to your computer

Is that from Steam's end user license agreement or from Reddit?

quote:

and also make their software necessary to play all these "cheap" games?

I have played some of the games WITHOUT Steam software. In other words, you can copy the games to another computer without Steam software and play on it if you want. Might not work for all the games.

If a game purchased from Steam does not have Steam's DRM, it will play by activating the game's executable file. Paradox games did, the last time I checked.

Fred98 -> RE: HPS - Defending the Reich (12/14/2018 12:01:23 AM)

I have 2 games on Steam - Arma 3 and Portal 2.

You need Steam to buy the games, download the games and download patches. You do not need Steam to actually play the games.

E -> RE: HPS - Defending the Reich (12/14/2018 12:41:09 AM)

quote:

Steam software is required to purchase and download the games from Steam Internet store.

Bummer (intrusive bummer).

quote:

Software is required to play some of the games bought from Steam Internet store, at least those that make use of HTC Vive.

(No idea what an "HTC Vive" is. Must be a steam thingmie?)

quote:

If I recall correctly, Steam asks permission to gather information about my computer hardware, and I can refuse it.

I don't think I could trust a company that makes customers install their software in order to purchase software by third parties, to play straight with me.

quote:

But at least Steam automatically updates the games as soon as official updates come available, and that is convenient.

History has proven that automatic updates can break an OS's. (Personally, I only update if I know of bugs or for wanted improvements... ignorance is bliss in the patch department for me!)

quote:

More convenient than looking for newest patches from all over the Matrix site under Products, Members Area (different patch versions under the 2), and where ever else.

Undoubtedly (if you trust auto-updating *grin*).

quote:

Reddit is a WWW forum like this one. Personally I don't like it because there is lots of misinformation that readers quote on other forums.

What is their "schtick?" Here it is the games. At Farcebook it's something unfathomable to non-lemmings. At TWITter is is the twits. *grin*

Then again, does it matter where the misinformation comes from?
Oh! Oh! Oh! That could be CRITICAL... if I need misinformation, it has to be lemon-flavored misinformation! If you get the wrong misinformation, it could ruin the ENTIRE recipe for disaster! That's why you MUST get the right misinformation. .. or chance electing a [insert political party of your opponent's choice here] *grin*

quote:

ORIGINAL: demyansk
I don't play 75% of my Steam games and most likely will not play them. Just like watching a movie more than twice.

I still occasionally play games I bought in the 80s! Your method does not compute! "Non sequitor. Error! ERROR! ANALYZE!" *51-Years-0f-Nomad-grin*

Rosseau -> RE: HPS - Defending the Reich (12/14/2018 1:24:17 AM)

Not all Steam games will run off the exe.

Now I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I have about 560 Steam games (some junk of course) but they all run perfectly. This is what I care about most. Now UbiSoft and the new GoG Galaxy DRM is a complete horror. GoG is having a sale now, but Galaxy is a mess, at least on my computer. Weren't they the "no DRM" people?

Okay, GoG says Galaxy is optional. It didn't appear that way a couple months ago, but don't want to post the wrong information. God forbid [;)]

Kuokkanen -> RE: HPS - Defending the Reich (12/14/2018 3:13:33 AM)

quote:

This

E -> RE: HPS - Defending the Reich (12/14/2018 8:10:50 AM)

quote:

quote:

This

So it's a youtube thingmie? (I can't watch youtubes direct, only some embeds)

Red2112 -> RE: HPS - Defending the Reich (12/14/2018 10:22:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

Not all Steam games will run off the exe.

Now I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I have about 560 Steam games (some junk of course) but they all run perfectly. This is what I care about most. Now UbiSoft and the new GoG Galaxy DRM is a complete horror. GoG is having a sale now, but Galaxy is a mess, at least on my computer. Weren't they the "no DRM" people?

Okay, GoG says Galaxy is optional. It didn't appear that way a couple months ago, but don't want to post the wrong information. God forbid [;)]

Rosseau you got the whole GOG thing wrong...

First, DRM is "Digital Rights Management", which GOG does not use. GOG Galaxy is a platform for GOG so it can update your GOG game, itīs also a community platform, but it does not use any DRM system. Yes you can download your games from GOG manually, or via Galaxy. If you do it manually you then have to patch/update manually too. Itīs been like that since Galaxy came out. In a nutshell, you have two choices to download, but neither use DRM.

On the other hand, yes you can launch Steam games from there original .exe without the use of Steam, but Iam not to sure as to how long (days) you can play those games offline without Steam having to check your DRM online. [8|]

Maybe some folks would have rather used the "Starforce" method again. Unless your a expert in netcode and/or work for the CIA, I donīt see all this issue with playing a game. If someone is so concerned with his/her security, then buy another PC for gaming, surfing or what have you on the net.

You have a credit card, a bank account and a mobil phone. Thatīs enough for them to know what ever they need from you!

PC Technology is here to stay, and for a very long time! Itīs one of the biggest buisness of this era so live with it, or Alaska or bust! [:D]

zakblood -> RE: HPS - Defending the Reich (12/14/2018 10:29:18 AM)

steam was limited to 2 weeks in offline mode, but that was back in 2013, and once updated and altered it now works for as long as there isn't a client code update needed in the client, which does need to go online and be patched, so while the games can be played with no DRM and offline for any length of time, once a update for steam client is needed, it must go online to install it, or you may get error's on a reboot, so some have said with no net use for 6 months or so this year and last, it still worked, as not everywhere you go in the world still has or can get good or any access

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI