The first air ops tutorial (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room

MarkShot -> The first air ops tutorial (6/9/2016 2:33:42 PM)

I am having problems with this:

(1) I achieve air superiority.

(2) I take out the SAMs.

In order for the alpha strike to score 2000; you must take out 20 buildings. In general the buildings get damaged, but not destroyed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

mikmykWS -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/9/2016 2:52:58 PM)

You can compare weapons and target damage points needed in the view we. You could try using the WRA settings as well. Info on that here:

http://www.warfaresims.com/index.php?s=wra

Keep in mind that the buildings generally take the hit and then burn.

If you think there is a bug please provide a report with file.

Mike

mikmykWS -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/9/2016 2:55:04 PM)

SAMS are tough in that one but SA-5 is a high altitude SAM and you have jammers as well. Try lower and jam.

mikmykWS -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/9/2016 3:29:14 PM)

Oh and this scenario was designed by Ragnar. I'm sure if you pm him on it you'll get some great insights

Thanks!

Mike

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/10/2016 3:10:58 AM)

Thanks, Mike.

I will play around with this at a much more fine grained level.

It probably should be stated in the briefing that this scenario rewards total destruction of just buildings (not aircraft or mobile units) as opposed to comprehensive damage. I only found that out by going into the Editor and looking at the triggers/scoring.

Finally, I need to figure out why my dumb bombs never seem to hit anything. It is 1983. The pilots are using a HUD with a CPI and not a Norden Bomb Sight! :)

Dimitris -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/10/2016 5:25:02 AM)

Accuracy of unguided weapons increases as the release altitude decreases. So for maximum accuracy you have to drop them from as low as possible. This of course leads to increased exposure to AAA, so it's a trade off.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/10/2016 6:45:31 AM)

I checked and I think they were at 5,000 feet, but I didn't check AGL. Now that I am more familiar with the game, I will be trying some stuff.

Thanks.

Rory Noonan -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/11/2016 8:39:47 AM)

I had a play through and got a major victory (1800).

If I understand correctly you're having no problem taking out the MiGs or SAMs, but find that you're damaging rather than destroying buildings.

I changed the WRA for Mk82 500lb bombs to 2 per salvo for soft targets, and 'no automatic use' against hard targets or mobile vehicles. This meant my aircraft were over the target for a lot longer, but were much smarter about using their weapons against different buildings rather than the default drop everything on one target. The 2000lb LGBs and Walleyes were set to 1 per target for hard targets only. They were semi effective, if I played this through again I might increase it to 2. There are no penetrator type weapons in this scenario, so it might be best to pick out 4 or so hangars and just focus on destroying them rather than damaging a whole bunch.

In this play through it seemed like I had destroyed the SAM threat pretty early on, apart from my initial DEAD missions no-one took any SAMs. If this wasn't the case, I'd be more reticent about having my strike aircraft circle over the target dropping pairs of bombs.

On a side note I remember playing this the day I got the game a couple of years back. I was terrible, lost heaps of aircraft and also had a lot of trouble controlling what happened. With the improvements in the sim and my ability this scenario was a cake walk this time around. Quite satisfying [:D]

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/11/2016 1:29:09 PM)

I will try your suggestions. Thanks!

ComDev -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/11/2016 2:07:23 PM)

IIRC if you concentrate on the industrial site you should be able to win quite easily?

Whacking aircraft revetments is pointless because they can be bulldozed and prepared again. Same goes for runways and runway access points. So gotta pick targets that cannot be rebuilt.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/11/2016 4:52:09 PM)

Can I combine a manual flight plan with a mission?

I mean that I want to fly low and hide the strike with mountains, but still you a mission for the actual strike. I thought I could. That it would jump into the mission upon hitting the last waypoint, but I am not so sure.

It looks like you I may either flying the entire profile manually or just accept the mission direct flight plan. But the SAMs are murder if you come straight in high.

How to build such a profile:

* Mission editor

* Manual path

* Manual throttle

* Emcon/ROE separate for the approach and start of the mission

Thanks.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 12:50:59 PM)

I altered the scenario and made it into two:

* Unopposed ground strike.

* Unopposed air strike (drones).

This should give me the practice with the UI I need at least for this portion.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 1:42:44 PM)

Okay single plane 18 MK82; no opposition; no evasion; AI planned mission; no destruction.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 1:43:55 PM)

Flight

[image]local://upfiles/8864/8EA4B1FFFC364CC084049E1CCA46FBA9.jpg[/image]

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 1:44:53 PM)

Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

[image]local://upfiles/8864/DB7879C5B3644E7D8F3E718AC238EEA0.jpg[/image]

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 1:50:50 PM)

Not any better with off angle attack.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:10:20 PM)

The same profile at 300KTS made no difference; nor did giving a couple of hours to burn.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:15:57 PM)

A flight of two actually does worse than a flight of one.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:20:30 PM)

A flight two separated does no better than a flight one one. They went in trail by about a mile.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:25:07 PM)

A flight two off angles does no better than one.

mikmykWS -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:26:49 PM)

HI Mark

Sorry you're having all these issues. We'll definitely take a look to see if there is anything funny going on.

Mike

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:32:47 PM)

Four planes take it out, but how can I meet my objectives with such high demand?

Time to play with pulse settings and such.

mikmykWS -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:35:29 PM)

Not sure.

Perhaps we should look into an easier air opts tutorial at some point.

Mike

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:37:54 PM)

Pulse settings make no difference.

mikmykWS -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:39:59 PM)

They shouldn't

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:48:18 PM)

Okay 1 GBU is enough for a kill.

mikmykWS -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 2:53:51 PM)

Depends where it hits. Try lower altitude for better results with dumb bombs.

Also notice we use CEP so close misses cause damage etc. Fire also burns things down albeit not immediately.

Mike

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 3:04:05 PM)

Okay 1 Walleye is a kill.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 3:05:15 PM)

If I lower the altitude from the AI 800', it fails to release. Hours of fire has not affect.

MarkShot -> RE: The first air ops tutorial (6/12/2016 3:09:30 PM)

Okay, I got 24 guide weapons with probably enough dumb bombs for another 4 kills.

It looks like I can achieve the 20 building kills.

However, I must gain air superiority and kill all SAM sights.

Also, despite using the mission planner this will require some serious micromanagement.

Finally, the brief is very misleading. It implies that you can win with a single mission. I doubt it. But I will try a single with WRA fine tuning next and see what happens.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI