paradigmblue -> RE: Focus Pacific: Release (6/13/2016 1:39:28 AM)
Join the Focus Pacific Team
We're looking for a few interested parties to help us continue to improve Focus Pacific. I think that Patton and I are pretty happy with the current playable state of the mod, but that doesn't mean that there isn't room for significant improvement.
At the moment, there are certain areas that fall outside of the wheelhouse of Patton and I, and we'd love some help to round out those areas. We're looking help in the following areas:
* Audit current art assets for accuracy and consistency, modifying existing art or creating new ship and plane art as needed.
* Create new plane sides and tops for different models in Focus Pacific, including new color schemes for different models of the same planes.
* Insure that plane and ship appearance in game is working as intended
If you'd like to help, you'll need access to photoshop or an equivalent image editor, have an understanding on how plane and ship art works, and an eye for detail.
* Audit current air-frames to ensure internal consistency of stats and upgrade paths.
* Investigate the possibility of changing the air-model to RHS or DBB standard.
If you'd like to help, you'll need a good understanding of the current air model, and preferably experience with RHS and/or DBB.
Japanese Economy and Air Production
Current PBEM games will help shed some light on this area, but I'd love to have someone who is willing to really dig into this.
* Ensure health of Japanese economy with the changes in Focus Pacific
* Investigate maximum levels of expansion. We want the Japanese player to have the ability to expand the economy far beyond stock, but we don't want to run into issues where they can product 3,000 Zeroes a month without difficulty either.
* Look at production and availability of resources and oil both on the Home Islands and off
* Audit plane upgrade paths and research.
* Investigate interesting historical and "could-have-been" units, planes and ships that could be possibly incorporated into Focus Pacific.
* If these items make sense in Focus Pacific, help translate them into the appropriate devices, planes or LCUs.
* Work to find and/or create art for the new addition.
* Focus Pacific is deeply ahistorical, but we're looking for some plausibility, so no USS Nimitz at the battle of Midway. A Japanese Design A-150 battleship though? That could possibly past muster if done well.
* Focus on adding items that make for new and interesting game-play, not just "because we can".
These areas aren't mutually exclusive - if you want to help in more than one area, that's great!
Goals for Focus Pacific
There are a few short-term and long-term goals for future iterations of the mod.
Round out Minor Nations
Round out minor ships for the Soviets and France - tenders, mine-sweepers, xAKs, xAKLs etc. Currently the Soviets are particularly lacking.
Give Japan More New Toys
Currently the allies get a lot of fun new planes and ships to play with, while Japan mostly gets more (lots more in some cases) of existing assets. I'd like to ensure that the mod is as fresh for Japanese players as it is for allied players.
This doesn't mean that we want both sides balanced against each other in every capability - in fact a big part of the game dynamics are the fact that at certain points in the game each side is very vulnerable to the other. War isn't fair, and the game shouldn't be either. The allies should still be fighting for their life in 42, and Japan should be under pressure in 44 and 45, but I'd love to see some outcomes in Focus Pacific that are not the norm.
Continued Bug Fixing
I'd like to keep up on patches so that known bugs (like the aircraft ordinance bug just found) are squashed on a regular basis.
I've had a lot of help in the art department, but I've also had to do a great deal myself. That's a problem, because I am absolutely terrible at it. I'd love to have some help in improving the consistency and quality of the art assets so that Focus Pacific is a more polished and professional product for everyone to enjoy.