Viewing the .txt files (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding

marcinius -> Viewing the .txt files (10/12/2015 11:26:56 PM)

So I decided to dive into modding and see what I could create. When I started looking at the .txt files I noticed that they are a little difficult to follow and was wondering what other modders use to view the .txt files to get a better 'follow' of what is being displayed..

yummie -> RE: Viewing the .txt files (10/13/2015 1:25:26 AM)

Note pad mostly

Capshades -> RE: Viewing the .txt files (10/13/2015 4:39:20 AM)

I like to use Notepad++, easier to categorize the larger files

Aeson -> RE: Viewing the .txt files (10/18/2015 12:09:40 PM)

Bit late, but I'd add that a lot of the txts are essentially in CSV format; importing them as such into something like Excel or the open office equivalent isn't a bad way to view the files, especially if you have trouble keeping track of the entry number in the line.

Bingeling -> RE: Viewing the .txt files (10/18/2015 12:27:09 PM)

Without some more fancy tool, using a spreadsheet is the obvious way.

Just admit that having pretty files don't matter, and store the default spreadsheet way (as a csv obviously). I would format a comment line first with commas to head the spreadsheet columns. Just make sure the first value starts with "," to have distant worlds ignore it.

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Viewing the .txt files (10/18/2015 6:15:59 PM)

I like using the free WinMerge program. I used it while developing the Picard Era mod. It
also helps to convert/save the DW program text files to UTF-8 encoding instead of ANSI.

http://winmerge.org/

[:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI