OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

oaltinyay -> OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (9/11/2015 11:25:59 AM)

That was a fateful day indeed.

I had persuaded myself into thinking that noone can do this and this is merely some stupid pilot who couldnt fly straight ( it had happened before I told myself - A B25 - no less - had crashed into one in LA in '50s) then I saw the second one flew into the Twin Towers. I watched them fall.

It was a deliberate attack...

Then I told to myself... this is not only a sad day , this is a disaster that will span decades and will claim more lives, innocent lives mostly.

The aftermath could have been, it should have been handled differently. It wasn't. As usual ordinary people's tragedy became some people's red carpet to having their way with power, divisions were created and enlarged everywhere in the world, bringing us into ... a not better level as promised... but closer to a medieval setting which I can barely recognize as 'the future' I dreamed for me.

I know this day is a day of trauma and loss for all Americans , I do feel your loss and nothing anyone can say bring those poor people back who died that way.

But let me add this, this day also signalled the end of a period after the cold war ( which I was born into ...and lived with all its properties ) where there was a glimmer of hope that we all may reconcile globally and only villains will be those in 007 movies. It was not to be...

Call me a pessimist and I would love to be wrong but now, I only see ... what is still a long road back to normalcy even after 15 years of struggle.

Terminus -> RE: OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (9/11/2015 12:16:08 PM)

Once Bill Olson wakes up, I hope this thread gets locked. This is not a subject for this forum; 9/11 and its aftermath is far too political and sensitive.

It's one of the few rules on the Matrix forums.

rogueusmc -> RE: OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (9/11/2015 12:23:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Once Bill Olson wakes up, I hope this thread gets locked. This is not a subject for this forum; 9/11 and its aftermath is far too political and sensitive.

It's one of the few rules on the Matrix forums.

Agreed

oaltinyay -> RE: OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (9/11/2015 3:06:25 PM)

I do agree such a delicate and sad topic deserves a high level of sensitivity. I hope my post will be seen as a message of solidarity on this day.

dekwik -> RE: OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (9/11/2015 3:38:57 PM)

There's an incredible array of very intelligent people on this forum,from all corners of the earth who have insights into geo politics and warfare that are far, far above the average. I'm optimistic that this is a topic that generates debate on this forum that will be intelligent and "political" only in the broadest sense of the word. In particular, what do forumites think the future holds?
If I'm wrong, and it gets locked or degenerates, then that itself speaks volumes as to the intensity, sadness, revulsion, anger and horror that this wound justly manifests. And will continue to manifest for decades to come.

AW1Steve -> RE: OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (9/11/2015 3:53:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dekwik

There's an incredible array of very intelligent people on this forum,from all corners of the earth who have insights into geo politics and warfare that are far, far above the average. I'm optimistic that this is a topic that generates debate on this forum that will be intelligent and "political" only in the broadest sense of the word. In particular, what do forumites think the future holds?
If I'm wrong, and it gets locked or degenerates, then that itself speaks volumes as to the intensity, sadness, revulsion, anger and horror that this wound justly manifests. And will continue to manifest for decades to come.

I agree, BUT it only takes one to spoil, and the subject is way too sensitive to many people , especially those with a personal stake in the subject. There are other forums , other places to do what the creator of this thread is trying to do. And better suited. This is not on topic , not relevant to the narrow focus of the forum and not necessary. I must agree with the others who've said this thread needs to be locked. It was created with the best of intentions I'm sure , but emotions are far too raw still for this not result in controversy. [:(]

FYI:I've emailed Bill.

btd64 -> RE: OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (9/11/2015 4:41:18 PM)

Just wanted to get this in. While doing kitchen design at a homedepot in Massachusetts a young woman with a eight or nine year old son came into the kitchen area and started asking questions about cabinets. After a couple of hours she produced a contractor measured kitchen plan. So her and her son sat down at my desk with water and cookies, crayons and pictures to color and started to design the kitchen. Now she seemed very distant I guess. So I asked if she was ok and she said that she and her husband were going to do this before there son was born but he passed away on September eleventh. Now I'm a little slow so it took a second. I saw the tears offered my condolences. I asked her if she would like to take her son to Wendy's for dinner(closest place I could afford) on me while I finish my work. She said not necessary at first, but I told her it's ok. I told her we don't get paid commission anyway. So I gave her $20 and she went to dinner. I asked my manager about an additional discount for her and the cabinet vendor. Bottom line, I got her a 12k kitchen for 6k. When she came back into the store some of the ladies that work up front bought a$100 gift card for her son for toys or clothes, and a spa makeover gift card for her which included a massage. Never saw someone go from so down to so happy so fast. After that she became a regular customer. She would bring baked goods sometimes to. Her son was not developing property and he was doing much better. A positive outcome from a destructive day....GP

kaleun -> RE: OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (9/11/2015 5:50:32 PM)

GP you brought a tear to my jaded face

wdolson -> RE: OT : 9/11 reflection from a different corner of the world (9/11/2015 6:14:51 PM)

This has been polite thus far (and even touching), but it does have a lot of modern political connections, so I'm going to have to lock it.

Sorry,
Bill

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI