RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding

wneumann -> RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome) (3/1/2015 9:34:15 PM)

I’ve been looking at the RA (Reluctant Admiral) mod and noted the mod includes its own (expanded) game map and art files. What I’d expect to happen when installing RA is that the expanded map would replace the stock map (the stock map being eliminated), likewise with the art. The end result being the copy of AE on my computer would play only Reluctant Admiral scenarios and no longer be usable for playing stock scenarios. While I ordinarily would not have an issue with this, I still have a PBEM campaign underway with Jolly Pillager using stock scenario 6 which leads me to this question…

Would a feasible solution to the problem involve having two copies of AE installed on my computer – one copy of AE updated with the RA mod, the second copy still configured to run stock AE. One trick I could see with this is keeping save files matched with the correct version of AE (stock with stock, RA with RA) when handling them outside the SAVE folders within each copy (version) of AE – this not a major issue, I’d come up with methods for handling it.

At the moment, I’m assuming this arrangement is possible and has probably been done at least a few times before. Just getting comments and any pointers I may need to know.

RogerJNeilson -> RE: RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome) (3/1/2015 9:45:43 PM)

Each opponent I have has a different AE install folder. Two are on the newest Beta one is on vanilla AE.

It is simple to operate like this and as long as you remember which save file to use for your specific opponent the only limit ids the size of your hard drive.

When I start a new game with a new opponent I just copy one of the other folders as a stating point, rename it to the new opponent and then modify the data, maps whatever...... I also copy tracker across to the folder.

Roger

John 3rd -> RE: RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome) (3/2/2015 12:46:41 AM)

I just bumped a 'how to' up to the front of the War Room. Walks you through the whole installing a second game process. Let me know if you need more help.

btd64 -> RE: RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome) (3/6/2015 12:52:07 PM)

I have 4 seperate installs on my system at the moment. Three for PBEM and one for me to screw around with.[;)]....GP

Mundy -> RE: RA and Stock AE on the same computer (Pillager welcome) (3/6/2015 12:55:46 PM)

I tend to use the separate installs just to keep the log files straight.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.757813E-02