Costal Defence Guns (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

jakla1027 -> Costal Defence Guns (8/17/2014 6:39:23 AM)

Hello,

Has anyone seen any of the allied CD guns? I mean the big guns, 8"-16" guns? The editor has several listed, but I have yet to see them with any unit in game. All I seem to come across are the 5", 6", and 155mm CD guns. So are these big monsters used in game? If so, when & where? Thought I would have seen a couple (16") somewhere on the West Coast of the US. (unless I missed/overlooked them[8|])

Anywho thanks for any info[&o]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Costal Defence Guns (8/17/2014 7:18:46 AM)

Look at Oahu Harbor Defense for one.

wdolson -> RE: Costal Defence Guns (8/17/2014 8:01:19 AM)

I think some of the fortresses along the West Coast have some big guns too.

Bill

oldman45 -> RE: Costal Defence Guns (8/17/2014 1:21:56 PM)

The Philippines has at least two places where the large calibers guns are located.

mind_messing -> RE: Costal Defence Guns (8/17/2014 2:30:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jakla1027

Hello,

Has anyone seen any of the allied CD guns? I mean the big guns, 8"-16" guns? The editor has several listed, but I have yet to see them with any unit in game. All I seem to come across are the 5", 6", and 155mm CD guns. So are these big monsters used in game? If so, when & where? Thought I would have seen a couple (16") somewhere on the West Coast of the US. (unless I missed/overlooked them[8|])

Anything bigger than a 20cm/8 inch gun is pretty hard to move around, so they tend to be in static coastal defence units around big ports and cities. Anything smaller than 8inch guns tend to be mobile, so keep your searches to static units.

sandlance -> RE: Costal Defence Guns (8/17/2014 5:35:19 PM)

There is is a restored heavy coast defense site at The Golden State Nation Park north of San Francisco. IIRC this contains a 16"/45 gun.

msieving1 -> RE: Costal Defence Guns (8/17/2014 8:04:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jakla1027

Hello,

To start the game (Scenario 1)
CD guns larger than 155mm:

San Diego Harbor Defenses
2x 7" CD guns
2x 8" CD guns
4x 10" CD guns
4x 12" CD mortars

Los Angeles Harbor Defenses
4x 14" CD guns
4x 12" CD mortars
2x 14" railroad guns

San Francisco Harbor Defenses
2x 10" CD guns
14x 12" CD guns
4x 16" CD guns
24x 12" CD mortars

Puget Sound Defenses (Oak Harbor)
8x 10" CD guns
6x 12" CD guns
12x 12" CD mortars

Columbia River Defenses (Astoria)
2x 10" CD guns
8x 12" CD mortars

Oahu Harbor Defense
2x 8" CD guns
4x 12" CD guns
2x 14" CD guns
4x 16" CD guns
10x 12" CD mortars
12x 8" railroad guns

wdolson -> RE: Costal Defence Guns (8/17/2014 11:13:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandlance

There is is a restored heavy coast defense site at The Golden State Nation Park north of San Francisco. IIRC this contains a 16"/45 gun.

The Fort MacArthur batteries near Los Angeles are mostly gone, but some of the fortification bunkers remain, but last I heard they are in poor condition. The guns are long gone. Apparently it was a missile battery for a while. It appears there has been some restoration work.

http://www.ftmac.org/fmhist.htm

Bill

pontiouspilot -> RE: Costal Defence Guns (8/19/2014 12:52:58 AM)

Don't underestimate even the old Mk series (likely all WW 1 vintage) the Brits/Aussies have. I had 6th CAA at Pt Moresby and they decimated a landing saving fairly weak grounds forces. They absorbed a series of heavy bombardment TFs including at least 1 run by BB such that little effect vs. the ground troops. They also swiss cheesed a number of big APs. After this opponent conceded defeat and agreed Lt Swales deserved a VC.

jmalter -> RE: Costal Defence Guns (8/19/2014 2:33:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sandlance

Coastal Artillery was a US Army service branch, well-developed from WWI on. The Golden Gate fortifications were well-developed, they included AA, extensive minefields & minefield-maintenance ships (ACM types that were owned & operated by the Army).
My fave is Fort Drum, the 'concrete battleship' built over El Fraile Island east of Corregidor, w/ 2 x dual 14" battleship turrets, 4 x 6" armored casement mounts, a pair of open 3" AA mounts, & a tall lattice-type mast for spotting & searchlights. Construction was begun in 1909, & finished ~1914. Quite a bit of Navy expertise & ordnance was incorporated into this Army fortification. I've read that the max. range of the 14" guns was limited by their turret's max. elevation of 15 degrees.
Haven't read much about the Canal Zone, but they were also v well-defended.
My family vacations annually at Cape May, NJ, where a few remnants of the forts protecting the entrance to Delaware Bay remain (an observation tower, & an ammunition-storage casement). IIRC, the Cape May ordnance included 4 x 6" guns, but their sites were destroyed by seacoast erosion.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI