Thoughts on multiple missions for units in Command (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Mgellis -> Thoughts on multiple missions for units in Command (5/26/2014 5:00:12 PM)

Not being a programmer, this might be a stupid idea, but I had a thought...

Currently, when a unit is assigned to a mission in Command, it gets selected from a pool of "still not assigned" units. So units can only be assigned to one mission.

What about follow-up missions?

It could work this way. A group of units are assigned to a mission. But every mission has the option to Create Secondary Mission. If this option is clicked, the scenario designer can also set up a Secondary Mission, which can be any standard mission type (patrol, strike, etc.). The same units will be assigned, but the AI behaves according to this status menu:

Option 1: Primary mission active

Option 2: Primary mission inactive

Option 3: Primary mission completed or scrubbed; activate secondary mission <-- this one usually only gets selected as a Change Mission Status Action...you don't do it until some Trigger takes place; after all, it usually wouldn't make sense to set up a mission and then automatically scrub it.

Of course, a secondary mission can have its own secondary mission. And so on and so on.

They did something like this in Harpoon AWN. Units are still limited to one mission, but each mission can be now be made much more complex.

Thoughts? Observations?

Gunner98 -> RE: Thoughts on multiple missions for units in Command (5/26/2014 5:15:27 PM)

That makes sense, although I'm not a programmer either.

Another idea/thought came to mind: Set up an 'umbrella' mission with a number of other missions included, then you select units to a specific mission - but should that mission be deactivated (through an event) or be made redundant because all targets are destroyed (or what ever) the AI picks up the next appropriate mission in the same basket.

E.g.:
Umbrella mission: Offensive Air Patrol:
Sub missions: OAS A, OAS B, OAS C etc.
Through events, activate and deactivate the sub missions as needed to simulate the OAS patrols moving deeper and deeper into bad-guy land.

E.g.:
Umbrella mission: Destroy Air base
Sub missions: Runways, Taxiways, Runway Access points, HAS, Ammo etc etc
Assign your AC to your priority and as these turn into smoking holes, they move on to the next target set. Some form of priority would be useful here as well.

B

snowburn -> RE: Thoughts on multiple missions for units in Command (5/26/2014 5:37:28 PM)

i like the idea, but i think we can expand it a little more.

Create new actions:
-Clear plotted course.
-Scrub mission and force RTB.

Tomcat84 -> RE: Thoughts on multiple missions for units in Command (5/26/2014 5:45:05 PM)

I would like an event editor event to change a unit's mission assignment to a different mission...

A force RTB event could also be handy

Blas de Lezo -> RE: Thoughts on multiple missions for units in Command (5/26/2014 6:44:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomcat84

I would like an event editor event to change a unit's mission assignment to a different mission...

quote:

That has been requested and logged...

mikmykWS -> RE: Thoughts on multiple missions for units in Command (5/26/2014 8:18:16 PM)

Yeah this one is definitely on the list.

Mike

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02