Naval Use Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury

demyansk -> Naval Use Question (11/25/2013 10:14:19 AM)

I have had this game for a while and never really played it. I have a lot of the games from Battlefront on the Global Conflict scale. However, the Naval movement in this game is a little different.

1 Any videos out there on its use or is the manual the best method.

I do like the look of this map but it seems many of the players are disappointed with this game.

2 Also, can you attack a hex with two-three units at one time?

Thanks

Rasputitsa -> RE: Naval Use Question (1/23/2014 9:31:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: demjansk
I have had this game for a while and never really played it. I have a lot of the games from Battlefront on the Global Conflict scale. However, the Naval movement in this game is a little different.

I do like the look of this map but it seems many of the players are disappointed with this game.

2 Also, can you attack a hex with two-three units at one time?
Thanks

You can launch attacks from multiple hexes and get a bonus for doing so (simultaneous attack can be made from all 6 adjoining hexes), there can be only one multiple attack on each target per turn, but you can launch further single attacks on the same hex, whilst you have units with Action points left.

There are issues with the game having CTDs, I had the game working reasonably well in Windows 7, but Windows 8 has been more difficult. Most CTDs are during load, some scenarios seem more reliable than others, it looks like it works better on some systems than on others.

The game can be frustrating and throws up problems, some of which can be dealt with with minor modding, others are hard coded for which there is no fix. Developers have gone quiet, which is worrying for further progress

Estharos -> RE: Naval Use Question (2/2/2014 5:08:13 AM)

What those this mean: "Amount of supply provided by ships trough beaches is increase, together with range and maximum level." I got the option to choose this once I reach level 3 ships.

Cheers,

Rasputitsa -> RE: Naval Use Question (2/5/2014 2:52:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Estharos

What those this mean: "Amount of supply provided by ships trough beaches is increase, together with range and maximum level." I got the option to choose this once I reach level 3 ships.

Cheers,

It means that if you choose this option :

Your ships will be able to provide more quantity of supply ; support more ground units.
The supply will reach further inland ; I think standard is 3 hexes, so it will reach further.
The supply level provided by ships will increase ; standard is supply level 20 (game maximum is 30)

This is controlled by the 'consts.ini' file that is in each scenario folder, whenever you see in the unit box 'alternative supply', it means that the supply is coming from fleets (with enough CV,BB,CA ships) in adjacent sea zones, or bomber aircraft units that are in range.

These are the entries in the 'consts.ini' file that will be changed when you choose your option, or you can edit the file yourself, if you want to mod a scenario in the game.

[SupplyFromShips]
Maximum = 20-------- level of supply from ships
Range = 3 -------- range inland the supply can reache

[SupplyFromShipsValue]
FriendlyUnitType40 = 1 -- amount of supply from CV
FriendlyUnitType41 = 1 -- amount of supply from BB
FriendlyUnitType42 = 2 -- amount of supply from CA
FriendlyUnitType43 = 0
FriendlyUnitType44 = 0
FriendlyUnitType45 = 0
EnemyUnitType40 = 1
EnemyUnitType41 = 1
EnemyUnitType42 = 1
EnemyUnitType43 = 1
EnemyUnitType44 = 0
EnemyUnitType45 = 0

same applies to bomber units providing supply,

[SupplyFromBombers]
MaxValue = 20
ChanceOfSupplyForBomberStrengthPoint = 10
SupplyPerBomberStrengthPoint = 1

Christolos -> RE: Naval Use Question (4/29/2014 1:19:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: demjansk

I too am having trouble understanding the Naval Battle Control Panel. The Manual states:

10.10.1. NAVAL BATTLE CONTROL PANEL
Next turn all moves during this turn are made by AI,
according to the schedule and strategy used by AI.
Next move skips move and allows opponent to make his move.
Auto resolve Battle the whole battle is resolved automatically by AI.
Retreat The unit tries to retreat from the battle

Does the AI always get to move/attack first? Every naval battle I have played out manually did not allow me (as the human player) to make any move/attack unless I hit the "next move" button first. This, as the manual states, causes me to skip my turn and allows the AI to make its move. Is this supposed to happen each time a new naval battle commences?
There have been instances/turns after the AI moved/attacked and I still couldn't move attack afterwards unless I clicked "next move" again.

It also isn't clear what "next turn" is for. According to what the manual states, it allows the AI to make all its moves...so why would this be useful if only the AI is moving? Am I missing something?

I guess I'm just trying to say that the manual doesn't seem to be that great at explaining the naval battle moves and attack mechanics as it relates to both sides in a given battle...

I have another question regarding the use of naval units and this has to do with:

10.10.3. TIME ON SEA AND DISTANCE FROM PORT EFFECT
Those two modifiers have a cumulative effect on the ships ability to detect enemy fleets or
convoys, and for chance to hit enemy group during the naval battle. The higher those values
are the less chance for detection and hit.

My question is are we to gauge the extent of this modification such that and depending on ones strategy and tactics, it would cause us to decide it's time to head back to port?

C

Rasputitsa -> RE: Naval Use Question (4/29/2014 6:24:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CC1
I have another question regarding the use of naval units and this has to do with:

10.10.3. TIME ON SEA AND DISTANCE FROM PORT EFFECT
Those two modifiers have a cumulative effect on the ships ability to detect enemy fleets or
convoys, and for chance to hit enemy group during the naval battle. The higher those values
are the less chance for detection and hit.

My question is are we to gauge the extent of this modification such that and depending on ones strategy and tactics, it would cause us to decide it's time to head back to port?

After 10 turns at sea for normal fleets and 20 turns for fleets set as raiders, ships will lose effectiveness and become more vulnerable. If you return them to port the 'Time at Sea' counter will return to zero and they can be sent on another mission. Use the Fleet Management panel to check the status of your ships, clicking on the top title panel of each column will shuffle the ships to highlight the item you are checking. If you click the title 'Time at Sea', the list will shuffle to show highest, or lowest time at sea, which is a useful tool.

Ships close to a port suffer less effectiveness drop, but these effects can be checked, or adjusted in the game folder data/scenarios/scenario name/consts file which controls these settings.

This is the text :

[NavalUnit_TimeOnSeaPenalties]
TurnsWithoutPenalty_InRegularFleet = 10
TurnsWithoutPenalty_InRaiderFleet = 20
DetectingAbilityPenalty = 0.5
HitChanceInSeaBattlePenalty = 0.5

[NavalUnit_DistanceFromPortPenalties]
DistanceWithoutPenalty_InRegularFleet=1........ 1 sea zone no penalty
DistanceWithoutPenalty_InRaiderFleet=2 ......... 2 sea zones no penalty
DetectingAbilityPenaltyPerSeaZone=0.1 ........... 10% loss each sea zone distance from port
HitChanceInSeaBattlePenaltyPerSeaZone=0.1

The figures can change during the game with technical advances, which should be indicated as an event notification, but also these settings can be modified, if you wish, by altering the text, like most of the game. [:)]

Rasputitsa -> RE: Naval Use Question (4/29/2014 6:26:51 AM)

Deleted, double post.[:(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI