The One That Got Away (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series

ParaB -> The One That Got Away (11/8/2013 9:09:18 PM)

When doing a roll-call after the latest engagement with NATO Major Tchernow knew he was in deep trouble...

Scratch one tank battalion.

[img]http://abload.de/img/theone01atij3.jpg[/img]

I was playing the "KG Rommel" scenario and soon realized I had screwed up my initial deployment. A whole Panzergrenadier company AND a section of Jaguars basically missed the whole show. I wanted to quit the scenario but then thought "oh well, let's just see how this turn plays out...".

In the end I fought through the whole battle, nail-biting stuff right until the end.

EDIT: Just realized I have made a mistake, scrolled down too far on the unit roster... but then 3rd battalion's HQ looked exactly like 4th, just that the lone survivor was a T-80... ;)

british exil -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/8/2013 10:25:23 PM)

ParaB sometimes it's nice to carry on the battle, surprises are around every corner.
Even if you mess things up, there's always the next time.

Du spielst gern vor deiner eigener Haustür, wie ich sehe.

Mat

ParaB -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/11/2013 10:42:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: british exil

ParaB sometimes it's nice to carry on the battle, surprises are around every corner.
Even if you mess things up, there's always the next time.

Oh, absolutely.

In that case I hadn't actually planned to really play the scenario though. Just wanted to take a look at the map and the units. And then played a turn. And another. And... [:D]

quote:

Du spielst gern vor deiner eigener Haustür, wie ich sehe.

Mat

Ja, das hat was. Jetzt brauche ich nur noch ein Szenario mit der 10. PD und meinem alten Bataillon.

[sm=tank2-39.gif]

[:)]

76mm -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/11/2013 10:46:34 AM)

Looks pretty brutal, why didn't the S/D conditions kick in?

ParaB -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/11/2013 10:49:43 AM)

They did. That screenshot was taken after the scenario had ended.

Mad Russian -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/11/2013 12:43:36 PM)

quote:

Ja, das hat was. Jetzt brauche ich nur noch ein Szenario mit der 10. PD und meinem alten Bataillon.

Was ist der alten Bataillon?

Gute Jagd.

MR

ParaB -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/11/2013 2:05:08 PM)

PgGrenBtl 292, later JgBtl 292.

Mad Russian -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/11/2013 2:47:32 PM)

You should find your old unit and area of operation come into it's own when we do the Southern Germany expansion.

I believe that should be next in the line of products we release.[sm=00000436.gif]

Hof Gap ring a bell to anyone? [sm=character0272.gif]

Good Hunting.

MR

tide1530 -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/11/2013 9:33:06 PM)

MR you are a tease [;)] I loved the Black Horse scenario. If you guys do a 2nd Cav. scenario I might loose my mind. [X(] My old Regiment.

Mad Russian -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/11/2013 10:54:09 PM)

Southern Germany is coming.

2nd Cav, 1st AD, WG 10th PD, Czech units and all.

We ordered them forward but they keep dragging their feet. They said something about not wanting to be a piece of this party.

No telling when they will get here.

Good Hunting.

MR

ParaB -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/12/2013 11:02:41 AM)

That is excellent news!

Thanks for the Update Mad Russian.

2ndACR -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/17/2013 5:28:05 AM)

Did someone mention the 2nd ACR? How can you have a war in Germany in 1989 and not have the greatest regiment the US Army has ever seen?

2nd ACR has never dragged their feet doing anything, even to joke like that is tantamount to high treason. You would never have heard the 2nd saying they wanted no part of it. You should be ashamed to even suggest a thought like that MR.

Mad Russian -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/17/2013 2:30:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Did someone mention the 2nd ACR? How can you have a war in Germany in 1989 and not have the greatest regiment the US Army has ever seen?

2nd ACR has never dragged their feet doing anything, even to joke like that is tantamount to high treason. You would never have heard the 2nd saying they wanted no part of it. You should be ashamed to even suggest a thought like that MR.

ROFL...ah yes, well I had an uncle that was assigned to 1st AD. We spent some time, 'down south'.

The reason they are 'dragging their feet' to get into the game is because, I only have so much time. While we never did anything with the 2nd ACR I never met a soldier from the ACR that I didn't respect. [&o]

They are coming. In fact, I can hear them loading up their gear as we talk.

Patience Grasshopper...patience. [:-]

[image]local://upfiles/28652/4268CC71985B455999D440A43B8D135B.jpg[/image]

Maybe this map looks familiar to you?!?

Good Hunting.

MR

2ndACR -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/17/2013 10:44:27 PM)

Yeppers........Coburg (shudder).................Bamberg, not bad, Green Goose, oh yeah.

Mad Russian -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/17/2013 11:26:06 PM)

No Green Goose in my day. But then we were much further north than you guys.

Good Hunting.

MR

Rocko911 -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/18/2013 10:58:41 PM)

If I remember correctly you guys were suppose to be the covering force for the U.S. VII Corps during a wartime footing in Germany.

2ndACR -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 7:27:41 AM)

Yep, IIRC, the MLR for the rest of VII Corps was supposed to be like 50-80 miles away on some river.......danged if I can remember the name of it though. Our mission was to fight delaying action back to the MLR killing command control, air defense units and basically forcing the Warsaw Pact units to constantly stay deployed and burn ammo. Shoot, run for the next ridge.

We also screened and led VII Corps during Desert Storm. We operated as the Dragoon Battle Group, almost 16,000 soldiers under the command of our Regimental Commander. I know 210 FA brigade was attached to us, we had a Apache BN attached to our Air Cav Sqdrn, pretty sure we had a CSB with us, and a Engineer unit. Basically we expanded to a division in size under a full bird Colonel who answered to Corps commander only. IIRC How 2/2 (155mm Battery) fired around 1000 rounds during the ground war in support of the Sqdrn.

Mad Russian -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 1:20:40 PM)

I think that would have been the Main (pronounced 'Mine') River behind you. The Germans were to anchor their defenses on the Donau (Danube) IRRC.

The Main river goes all the way up through VII Corps area into V Corps at Hanau aM. and Frankfurt aM. It was the main river through that region of the country.

Good Hunting.

MR

Erik Rutins -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 1:23:04 PM)

Tojours Pret! A good friend of mine was a M109 driver in the 2nd ACR during the timeframe of FPCRS.

2ndACR -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 3:45:17 PM)

Always Ready!!!! Greatest regiment in the US Army. And for any of you truly brave:

http://history.dragoons.org/2004/01/17/regimental-punch-and-ceremony/

They have added a few flavors since my day.

JohnO -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 4:49:35 PM)

So looking at the map that MR posted, Camp May is located at Regen? Reason asking I'm starting to work on a couple of scenarios for "Red Thrust" and the battles will be around some areas of 2ACR. If it is true what unit from 2ACR would be located there?

tide1530 -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 6:44:47 PM)

Wunsiedel and Marktredwitz ring the old bell I remember spending a number of nights staring at the lights of Cheb. But I was in the 1st squadron and that meant mostly looking at Czech border camps. Camp Gates was the border camp I think.

2ndACR -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 9:13:46 PM)

IIRC, 3rd Sqdrn covered Camp May. If the Sqdrn in question was at Graf or Hoen training, then then a troop from another Sqdrn would cover that sector. So it was possible to have a Sqdrn covering 3 or 4 camps at once.

But when I was there it was the following:

1st Sqdrn- Gates and Pitman
2nd Sqdrn- Coburg and Hof
3rd Sqdrn- Reed and May
4th Sqdrn- All of them

I was in 2nd Sqdrn, but I have been to Coburg, Hof and Pitman.

JohnO -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 9:34:41 PM)

Thanks, good information to know. Have you read the book "Red Thrust" by Steven J. Zaloga? I'm working on the maps first then will add the units. Also the time frame that I wont to do this is around 1989 before the wall came down.

2ndACR -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 11:26:31 PM)

Have not read that one. Well 1989, 2nd ACR was still Cobra equipped, no Apaches yet, but all M1a1 were heavy armor versions. So to make it historical, they get Cobras and not Apaches.

JohnO -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/19/2013 11:44:26 PM)

Thanks, I have a thread already titled "Red Thrust 1989" in Scenario School. Will post questions and scenarios for the Campaign there. Just to let you know, may need you're help. I was a Mech Infantry man not CAV [:)]

2ndACR -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/20/2013 2:39:30 AM)

I was 11B before I got smart and went 19D.

tide1530 -> RE: The One That Got Away (11/20/2013 3:03:46 AM)

On the 8th day God made The Straight Leg. But when you go Cav you never go back [8D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI