Amphibious Cavalry (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room

Bozo_the_Clown -> Amphibious Cavalry (9/28/2013 1:11:07 AM)

I scout Odessa twice and it looks like nothing is in there. So I decide to land a cavalry division during the blizzard because it's expendable. The result of this landing is very strange. There obviously was a Romanian unit in there that was routed. But the combat result window doesn't show me which unit it was. In addition the odds are below 1. Can someone explain this result?

[image]local://upfiles/45102/6BBD737FAE8B445095224AAE7EE2830C.jpg[/image]

Disgruntled Veteran -> RE: Amphibious Cavalry (9/28/2013 1:46:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bozo_the_Clown

I scout Odessa twice and it looks like nothing is in there. So I decide to land a cavalry division during the blizzard because it's expendable. The result of this landing is very strange. There obviously was a Romanian unit in there that was routed. But the combat result window doesn't show me which unit it was. In addition the odds are below 1. Can someone explain this result?

[image]local://upfiles/45102/6BBD737FAE8B445095224AAE7EE2830C.jpg[/image]

Fortified Zone?

Bozo_the_Clown -> RE: Amphibious Cavalry (9/28/2013 1:57:18 AM)

That does make sense. The numbers do match a FZ. I'm just curious why it doesn't say in the combat results window.

And there probably was a routed Romanian infantry division in Odessa that got displaced.

rmonical -> RE: Amphibious Cavalry (9/28/2013 4:52:13 PM)

quote:

I scout Odessa twice and it looks like nothing is in there. So I decide to land a cavalry division during the blizzard because it's expendable.

Bozo is correct - fort plus routed Romanian division.

Is anyone else concerned by this statement? The intersection of primitive Naval and the Axis first winter CV nerfs is unfortunate. What would otherwise be an annoyance has the potential to be devastating. The image is a few turns before the Odessa op.

The invasion to surround the counterattacking 1st Mountain Division was also launched with no planning.

I suspect some of the primitive naval issues will be fixed based on the WITW experience. The ones I see so far are:
- Because of the unit by unit system if Ochakov can supply a brigade, it can supply a front.
- Similarly, if Ochakov can accept an incoming rifle brigade, it can accept an incoming cavalry corps.
- Amphibious capacity appears to be effectively unlimited. There have been three or four division plus size landings so far this blizzard.
-No planning required for amphibious (and airborne) operations.
- Axis air superiority appears to not have an impact on naval movement, invasions nor supply.
- I suspect we will learn that even when Ochakov cannot be used for supply due to bombing, its ability to support naval transport will be uneffected.

[image]local://upfiles/38006/3D2E36C6A79F4A3D9E3BB3D9B3E7EB5D.jpg[/image]

Bozo_the_Clown -> RE: Amphibious Cavalry (9/28/2013 6:03:52 PM)

Russians had naval superiority in the Black Sea. They conducted landings at Kerch and
Feodosia in 1941. There were other naval operations in the Black Sea during 1941.

Nevertheless, I agree that the amphibious capabilities of the Russians in the game are over the top.

The real problem, however, is that most Axis player rush every single unit east. A level 4 port simply has to be garrisoned. Without supply most amphibious landings are more or less futile.

What happened in this game is unusual.

rmonical -> RE: Amphibious Cavalry (9/28/2013 6:54:49 PM)

quote:

A level 4 port simply has to be garrisoned.

As you discovered in Odessa, during first winter blizzard, a garrison is largely irrelevant.

Bozo_the_Clown -> RE: Amphibious Cavalry (9/28/2013 7:41:35 PM)

The Odessa gambit was a surprise to me as well. But what would have happened if there was a stronger combat unit in the port. Obviously the FZ wasn't enough.

Ochakov wasn't captured during the blizzard but on T14.

Bozo_the_Clown -> RE: Amphibious Cavalry (9/29/2013 3:30:37 AM)

quote:

I suspect we will learn that even when Ochakov cannot be used for supply due to bombing, its ability to support naval transport will be uneffected.

Nope, no naval transport possible. And I believe the damage has to be above 75% on a level 4 port for it to be damaged.

rmonical -> RE: Amphibious Cavalry (9/29/2013 4:35:19 AM)

quote:

Nope, no naval transport possible. And I believe the damage has to be above 75% on a level 4 port for it to be damaged.

Yep, and they were all isolated. All surrendered.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI