South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

obvert -> South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/2/2011 9:46:20 PM)

This will be my first PBEM playing either side.

I have no hope to provide the kind of great entertainment GreyJoy has given us in his first AAR, but I will most likely need some help along the way as well, and welcome anyone who is interested to stop in and give their two cents.

This is a Scenario 2 game

Settings and HRs

FOW ON
advanced Weather OFF
Allied damage control ON
PDU ON
historical first turn OFF
Dec 7 surprise ON
reliable USN torps OFF
realistic R&D ON
no unit withdrawels OFF

turn cycle 1 TURN

No Allied 4E naval bombing below 10,000ft (except for NAVY 4Es)
Max sweep and CAP are at second best manouver band.
PPs to be paid to change a restricted unit to an unrestricted command before marching accross a border.
no Strategic bombing in China by either side for the entire war.

This is the first PBEM for each of us.

I should have the first turn off to Dan this evening, unless I have unforseen technical problems or a wave of trepidation about my planning.

As part of this AAR I'm planning to do a little extra work.

Units to watch throughout the War

In addition to giving information about strategic planning and tactical engagements, throughout the course of this AAR I will attempt to follow certain units of different types through their various deployments and actions. Some of the units I have chosen have some kind of significance to my experience, and I will try to explain some of that below.

I may choose some others later as well, as I see how this goes.

DD Shiranui

This ship has special significance to me because it is largely the reason I am playing the game at all. At the invitation of my girlfriend, who lived in Dorking, Surrey at the time, I went into a small modeling shop, Dorking Models.

http://www.dorkingmodels.com/

I was immediately charmed by the throwback look of the shop, with piles of kits balanced on every counter, and many finished display models sitting and hanging everywhere. I had made a bunch of 1/700 series waterline kits of WW2 ships as a kid, and this brought me right back into the passion I felt then about the war. My girlfriend encouraged me to find a kit and buy it. I scanned the stack of ships and saw shoved at the top of a pile the Shiranui.

I had been reading a book about Japan, Ď1,000 Autumns of Jacob De Zoetí by David Mitchell, (a great read) which features a Mt. Shiranui. I had been intrigued by the name, and looked up the meaning. Shiranui apparently is a Japanese name for the elusive flames that appear in swamps we call will-o-the-wisp.

From Wikipedia

A will-o'-the-wisp /ˌwɪl ə ūə ˈwɪsp/ or ignis fatuus ( /ˌɪɡnɨs ˈfśtʃuːəs/; Medieval Latin: "foolish fire"), also called a "will-o'-wisp", "jack-o'-lantern" (or "jack-o'-the-lantern"), "hinkypunk", "ghost-light", "spook-light", "fairy light", "friar's lantern", "hobby lantern", "corpse candle", "orb", or simply "wisp", is a ghostly light or lights sometimes seen at night or twilight over bogs, swamps, and marshes. It resembles a flickering lamp and is sometimes said to recede if approached. Much traditional, non-scientific belief surrounds the phenomenon, giving rise to the wide variety of names.

Without getting too deep, this seemed interesting to me as a metaphor of my memory of childhood, and the vague flickering of images as I recalled afternoons riding my bike down to the model shop, evenings bent over a pile of disarranged plastic sitting in front of the TV watching Hoganís Heroes, and the moment many years later when I blew the entire fleet apart using an air riffle and a few packs of leftover firecrackers.

In ITRW Shiranui lasted until late 1944, when she was sunk by aircraft shortly after the Battle of Leyte Gulf. She went down near Iliolo.

Her captain is CDR Akazawa, Shizuo.

xAK Oregon Maru

(Possible conversion to AKV or AKE)

This ship will be followed simply because I was born in Portland, OR. I lived there until age 28, when I moved to Seattle, WA.

Hopefully the game version will not meet the same early fate as its WW2 namesake.

On November 17th, 1942, U. S. submarine Salmon (SS-182), attacks a Japanese convoy off the west coast of Luzon and sinks repair ship Oregon Maru, 65 miles northwest of Manila, 14į16īN, 119į44īE.

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?138888

The ship will be captained by CPT Nasu, U.

I-25

This ship also has something to do with OR. I will not be recreating this scenario, however. Too bad about the backstop, and ironic considering that the Japanese also play and revere baseball.

From Wikipedia

Bombardment of Fort Stevens

In what became the only attack on a mainland American military installation during World War II, the Japanese submarine I-25, under the command of Tagami Meiji, surfaced near the mouth of the Columbia River, Oregon on the night of June 21 and June 22, 1942, and fired shells toward Fort Stevens. The only damage officially recorded was to a baseball field's backstop. Probably the most significant damage was a shell that damaged some large phone cables. The Fort Stevens gunners were refused permission to return fire, since it would have helped the Japanese locate their target more accurately. American aircraft on training flights spotted the submarine, which was subsequently attacked by a US bomber, but escaped

Lookout Air Raids

Main article: Lookout Air Raids

The Lookout Air Raids occurred on September 9, 1942. The first and only aerial bombing of mainland America by a foreign power occurred when an attempt to start a forest fire was made by a Japanese Yokosuka E14Y1 "Glen" seaplane dropping two 80 kg (180 lb) incendiary bombs over Mount Emily, near Brookings, Oregon. The seaplane, piloted by Nobuo Fujita, had been launched from the Japanese submarine aircraft carrier I-25. No significant damage was officially reported following the attack, nor after a repeat attempt on September 29.

Glens donít seem to have the same payload capabilities in AE, unfortunately.

A really interesting development had to do with the pilot of the Glen.

Twenty years later, the floatplane's pilot, Nobuo Fujita, was invited back to Brookings, and served as Grand Marshal for the local Azalea Festival.[1] At the festival, Fujita presented his family's 400-year old samurai sword to the city as a symbol of regret. Fujita made a number of visits to Brookings until the end of the century, serving as an "informal ambassador of peace and friendship".[2] Fujita died in 1997, the same year Brookings made him an honorary citizen.

I tried to find this pilot in the replacement pool, but he wasnít there. If I locate him on another sub Iíll put him onto I-25, assuming he doesnít suck.

Also, I couldnít find the listed captain, Tagami Meiji, either. Not that important at all, just thought it might be fun to have them on there.

The current captain of I-25 is CDR Sagara, K.

AMC Hokoku Maru

(The word hōkoku, when written 報国, means "devotion to the country".)

I am a photographer and teacher of photography and film. While looking at AMCs I was surprised to learn that Hokoku was also the name of a pre-war Japanese camera type, a 4.5 x 6 inch folder camera.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Hokoku

I am fascinated by the idea of these merchant raiders during WW2, and find the multiple roles they played throughout the war to be worthy of documenting.

Captain Koh, A.

Tainan Ku S-1

I will follow the Tainan fighter group. I chose this group because it produced so many of Japanís early aces, including Saboro Sakai. Since the developers have been so studious and included Sakai and other aces in the group, Iíll try to keep them active and alive and report on their exploits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tainan_Air_Group

The groupís current leader is LT Shingo, H.

14th Tank Regiment

I want to follow at least one land unit, but I couldnít decide how to pick one of significance. I chose the 14th Tank Regiment simply because my birthday fell on the 14th of October.

The groupís leader is LTC Aizawa, Takhuji.

Nagato Maru

One of my favorite feats of WW2 is the Doolittle Raid on Japan. Until reading more recently, I had no idea so many IJN boats were out there as patrol Ďpicketí boats protecting the approaches to the Home Islands.

The Nagato Maru was one of the unfortunate ones to be damaged by air attack and subsequently sunk by USS Nashville.

Halsey-Doolittle Raid: TF 16 (Vice Admiral William F. Halsey Jr.), formed around carriers Enterprise (CV-6) and Hornet (CV-8), approaches to within 650 miles of Japan. Discovery by Japanese guardboat No.23 Nitto Maru compels Vice Admiral Halsey to order Hornet to launch 16 USAAF B-25s (Lieutenant Colonel James H. Doolittle) earlier than planned.

SBDs (VB 3, VB 6) and F4Fs (VF 6) from Enterprise, meanwhile, attack Japanese guardboats ("picket" boats) encountered near TF 16, damaging armed merchant cruiser Awata Maru and guardboats Chokyu Maru, No.1 Iwate Maru, No.2 Asami Maru, Kaijin Maru, No.3 Chinyo Maru, Eikichi Maru, Kowa Maru, and No.26 Nanshin Maru. Guardboats No.23 Nitto Maru and Nagato Maru, also damaged by SBDs and F4Fs from Enterprise, are sunk by gunfire of light cruiser Nashville (CL-43) (see 19 April).

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/USN-Chron/USN-Chron-1942.html

Iím choosing one of the two Nagato Marus, the Ansyu-C Cargo Class that can be converted to a PB.

princep01 -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/2/2011 10:23:54 PM)

Obvert, a most interesting introduction to your AAR. Best of luck with the AAR and in your game. However, one word of warning. Do not become too attached to the AMC Hokoku Maru. The AMCs seem to attract a lot of Allied sub torpedos (most of which will dud) or otherwise seem to stubble into harm's way a lot. As I recall, this particular ship starts far out at sea in a raider roll. If it is the one I am thinking of, it has yet to survive past February 42 in either of the games I have played as the Allies.

I am really looking forward to a n interesting AAR and a good game between you two stalwarts.

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/2/2011 10:32:00 PM)

Thanks princep.

I'm sure I'll lose a few of these before I'd like to! But I won't hide them away either. I'm curious to see the path of each as they go, and hopefully a couple will last long enough to make the journey interesting.

Dan Nichols -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/2/2011 10:47:39 PM)

Erik invited me to stop by today. This is a scenario 2 game, so he does have a few extra goodies to help him if he makes a bobble. I may or may not start an AAR of my own. I will wish Erik good luck and bow our of this thread now.

Dan

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/2/2011 10:53:24 PM)

Thanks Dan. I did forget to mention that part!

Scenario 2 it is.

A virtual handshake to you!

Cribtop -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 12:25:19 AM)

Good luck, obvert!

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 12:35:32 AM)

Thanks Cribtop! I've been learning a bit from your AAR and hopefully I can put some of it into practice.

GreyJoy -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 12:49:33 AM)

I will follow this one! Love the idea of giving attention to some particular ships/airgroups!

[:)]

Scenario 2?
If i may suggest from my particular experience...don't bother with India...go directly for Oz!
if you manage to advance in China fast, you can set free enough LCUs to get to Oz...and Oz CAN be conquered imho...much easier than India

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 1:00:56 AM)

Thanks GreyJoy!

If I'm lucky enough to have a chance to consider conquering a sub-or full continent, I'll consider your very informed advice. [:)]

First things first I'm going to try to take care of business where I have to, and then I'll think about if there's opportunity for something else.

I don't know if I'll manage the economy quite as well and as aggressively as Rader. We'll see!

The idea of following certain units came from seeing that in Canoerebel's AARs, and of course Cuttlefish and a few others. I hope the first chosen ones don't get ruined right off the bat!

Jzanes -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 1:32:41 AM)

Glad to see you've started an AAR Obvert. I will be following this one with great interest.

I am not familiar with your opponent, Dan Nichols. What is your assessment of his experience, skill, and style of play? Hopefully, the two of you will prove to be a good match and this game will be challenging and long lasting.

Cribtop -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 2:37:21 AM)

Thanks for the kind words. To follow up on GreyJoy's post - what are your plans for world domination? Is auto victory a consideration? Oz, India or Hawaii on your radar screen?

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 7:24:52 AM)

-Jzanes-

Thanks for stopping in. Dan seems very knowledgeable, but he has played only the AI as well. He has had a lot of experience in gaming, and I gather played AE with the intent to learn how to one day play a PBEM. He has read many AAR threads as well as other areas of the forum, and the comments I've seen suggest he understands well the workings of the game on a fairly deep level.

I have no idea about his deeper strategic abilities, or how aggressive he'll play. I have a feeling, just a hunch, that he'll be cagey and devious!. His messages are short and concise, and he is very attentive to details.

It's exciting, as I told him just recently, planning all of this and not knowing the kind of reaction I'll get from him.

-Cribtop-

And now about that planning ... it really has so much to do with what strategy he employs in the DEI to try and slow me down. If I see a Nemo/CR style fortress building up somewhere, especially on Sumatra, I'll put everything I have into the early break-up and conquest of that area. That includes a few ideas I've had watching things develop in the CR game. I will definitely do all I can to secure the DEI as early as possible.

I may leave Luzon and the rest of the PI contained but not conquered for a while just to keep up the pace elsewhere. I haven't seen where this can really hurt, but please let me know if you have more experience with how it could!

Assuming all of that is on schedule, I hope to have assessed my opponent's style, done some bits of recon in India and OZ, and maybe after that I could think further afield.

I also think China could be an important area to feel out early on. If it seems I can easily encircle and wipe units there, and take large chunks of the country, then as Manchurian units are bought out I might send them there at first and see if more can be accomplished. I love the feeling of a cleared out China. That frees up a lot of units, allows a much better defense of Burma and Russia later, and would allow a few divisions to head out for tropical island recreations.

So really, all I can say for sure now is, we'll see how things go. I don't want to make any grand pronouncements yet about what I will do, but I'll keep posting about the evolving plans as they develop.

My style of play will hope to unbalance an opponent, not let them know where I might go, so I plan to start prepping some units for everywhere soon. I want him to think I could hit anything on the map short of San Fran by March! But as I said above, that assumes I'm not circling 5,000 AV on Sumatra with a frustrated group of CVs in February.

GreyJoy -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 8:08:39 AM)

I'd say go for China early on and bring the hammer!
Rader's strategy there has been really sound imho....go for Nanning area. Once you manage to bring there lots of reinforcements you can easily march north and break the whole Changsha sector!
Remeber to use all the IJAFF bombers you can master....plaster everything!!

Another thing i'd suggest is to forget Nates all the same. Don't throw good pilots away. Boost the Oscar production and wait till you Sentais are filled with Oscars before committing them.

Then i'd by-pass Luzon all the same. Use the forces intended to be committed at Luzon to get Sumatra early on. Isolate Singapore but wait before assaulting it...You can easily starve both Manila and Singapore, simply using your Air Force.
Go for Mindanao and Borneo thus isolating Luzon. Then go for Timor and souther DEI. With Sumatra and Timor strongly in your hands you can take your time before getting invading Java.
Once In China you have managed to break the Changsha and Sian sectors, secure them and then free most of your units...isolating with outposts and strongpoints the central China.
Use those free units for the next push...Take Luzon, Singa and Java. Secure Burma with the 15th Army and then go for Oz, using Solomons and New Caledonia to secure your eastern flank.

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 10:59:29 AM)

quote:

-GreyJoy-

I'd say go for China early on and bring the hammer!
Rader's strategy there has been really sound imho....go for Nanning area. Once you manage to bring there lots of reinforcements you can easily march north and break the whole Changsha sector!
Remeber to use all the IJAFF bombers you can master....plaster everything!!

Another thing i'd suggest is to forget Nates all the same. Don't throw good pilots away. Boost the Oscar production and wait till you Sentais are filled with Oscars before committing them.

Then i'd by-pass Luzon all the same. Use the forces intended to be committed at Luzon to get Sumatra early on. Isolate Singapore but wait before assaulting it...You can easily starve both Manila and Singapore, simply using your Air Force.
Go for Mindanao and Borneo thus isolating Luzon. Then go for Timor and souther DEI. With Sumatra and Timor strongly in your hands you can take your time before getting invading Java.
Once In China you have managed to break the Changsha and Sian sectors, secure them and then free most of your units...isolating with outposts and strongpoints the central China.
Use those free units for the next push...Take Luzon, Singa and Java. Secure Burma with the 15th Army and then go for Oz, using Solomons and New Caledonia to secure your eastern flank.

Some inspired planning GJ!! I like pretty much everything you've said. I think I like to get Singapore out of the way early so the straits open up, but again it depends what he fortifies. If the Aussies go there, and other stuff gets squeezed in, we might have to change plans.

Also, if everything starts leaving Singapore, it needs to be wiped early to move those troops on to wherever he's been building up.

I agree with the pilots and the Nates. They're ok for CAP early, and but I'll leave the major sweeping and bombing against fighter concentrations until I have the 1cs filling most of the groups, and also until my Sally IIAs have a good head start.

I literally haven't decided even about a second day attack at Pearl. I just have to see how the first day went. I'm nervous about Wake and the two SNLF units heading there right now, and the ability for a quick CV strike as they finish the unload. We'll see.

Last night as I was dropping to sleep after sending turn 1 I had visions of a one or two day Pearl attack and then a quick disappearance of the KB north to refuel, (I sent the tankers farther north than the historic set-up, just for more safety), and then see what the subs run into. If someone sights a task force running toward the States, I might take a shot at it. If something seems to be moving to OZ I might take an angle toward the DEI, (where I plan to use the KB next), see if they come close to something, and also support the first Solomons landings on the way West. I want Shortlands and Tulagi early for recon and to build those bases as quickly as possible.

Then, depending on the look of things, I might leave 2 CVs for a month in the Truk/Rabaul area, hopefully surreptitiously, (Milne Bay is the next target in that area, and then a fairly early PM if it looks like it's fairly easy pickins), or bring it all to the DEI to pick up strays and chase roaming SCTFs into hiding. I'll try to pound any ports that look to be full of shipping before any good fighters get over there or pilots have built up skills. That said, we'll keep an eye on the AVG and other deployments and hope to strike weak points first.

Excited to see the first turn! Worried about my Pearl settings, but if it goes all wrong I'll stay an extra day, and even then I know the Cats and 4Es might be more important than the BBs.

GreyJoy -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 11:33:54 AM)

Defenetly go for a second day at PH! Those BBs need to be taken out!
Then i suggest you to dislocate a couple of CLs to raid the PH-WC area right after the KB departure. Those bastards can run almost unseen way beyond any Catalinas search range and get some juicy target early on... Flood the area with subs and maximise the allied early lack of ASW.
Use your AMCs aggressively and couple them with CLs and AOs...be sneaky and move beyond his first line of bases in SOPAC...it's easy to find unescorted convoys of xAPs/xAKs in the area of Thaiti and Franch Polinesia...an AV to spot, an AMC to chase and a CL to hunt...along with subs...

Keep in mind the "Luzon" thing...i really do think that you don't need to invest it immediately...you can obtain the same result simply bypassing it and isolating it and you gain a lot of time!

House Stark -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 2:13:18 PM)

A warning about the Philippines. I don't know if you've been reading AdmSpruance's AAR, but he's shown the danger for a Japanese player who ignores the Philippines and doesn't cut them off completely. If you don't bottle the Allies in Clark/Bataan, you have to establish naval patrols to prevent resupply AKs from sneaking through (I think it's been said that naval strikes won't always be launched against single ships).

GreyJoy -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 2:38:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: House Stark

A warning about the Philippines. I don't know if you've been reading AdmSpruance's AAR, but he's shown the danger for a Japanese player who ignores the Philippines and doesn't cut them off completely. If you don't bottle the Allies in Clark/Bataan, you have to establish naval patrols to prevent resupply AKs from sneaking through (I think it's been said that naval strikes won't always be launched against single ships).

Yup, but if you manage to take and estabilish a strong position in the NE of Luzon and in Legaspi, along with the occupation of Jolo (sp?) and othe other islands between Luzon and Borneo, you can effectively strangle the enemy and make him starve.
Also a couple of DD Divisions (one at Legaspi and one at Jolo) are able to sink, if combined with a Daitais of Netties, everything that dares to come any closer...

And even if he manages to send a couple of AKs full of supplies...his army there burns lots of supplies just to remain alive and your IJAFF should be able to prevent, along with zeros , any fort building or supplies stockpiling

Again on China...I suggest you to read the first pages of my AAR...Rader's strategy there was absolutely a winning one...and even if your opponent will be (as he surely will) smarter than me in orchestrating a stiff defence, the "Nanning Way" is an easy path to success...

I wish Rader could come and drop a line about his considerations of his chinese campaign...maybe PM him...his experience should be really helpfull imho!

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 5:00:53 PM)

quote:

Defenetly go for a second day at PH! Those BBs need to be taken out!
Then i suggest you to dislocate a couple of CLs to raid the PH-WC area right after the KB departure. Those bastards can run almost unseen way beyond any Catalinas search range and get some juicy target early on... Flood the area with subs and maximise the allied early lack of ASW.
Use your AMCs aggressively and couple them with CLs and AOs...be sneaky and move beyond his first line of bases in SOPAC...it's easy to find unescorted convoys of xAPs/xAKs in the area of Thaiti and Franch Polinesia...an AV to spot, an AMC to chase and a CL to hunt...along with subs...

Keep in mind the "Luzon" thing...i really do think that you don't need to invest it immediately...you can obtain the same result simply bypassing it and isolating it and you gain a lot of time!

I just watched the turn! Nothing ultra fantastic, but nothing terrible either. I will write a post when I get home and begin to detail things more specifically.

I have to say, even just after the first turn, I'm hooked. It's exhilarating to watch things develop and know there is a mysterious mind behind the other side. Also to know you can't peek at what really happened, but have to trust reports and recon for all of the information. It's a different mindset completely.

That said, I don't plan to sit back and be careful.

quote:

Thanks for the heads up, House Stark. I'll check that AAR.

For Luzon I don't feel comfortable with a complete bypass. I know I could get more of the DEI faster and come back, but he could choose to risk a good squadron or two at Clark, build up some good pilots, and send in the Banshees. I'm not fond of a strong air presence in the middle of my supply lanes, and the recon will continue to help his subs. My plan is still to land the traditional units, minus just a couple, and then work to bottle the US and PI troops to wherever they choose as a fortress.

As other ops dictate, I will then decide when the right time is to finish them off. I will also start some Manchurian units prepping for the smaller places like Cebu and Iloilo. If he's backed up to the ocean and constantly threatened, I think it'll be less likely he'll risk good air groups in the PI.

As for PH, I am leaning toward a second strike for turn 2. I'll get more into that later.

GreyJoy -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 5:13:16 PM)

Even if he moves the AVG at Clark, your zeros at high alt will sweep him to oblivion in a couple of weeks! For the first months allied air power is nearly useless...and you must beat him hard and don't leave him time to recover and reorganize. At this early point you'll be facing, at best, couple of squadrons of P-40Es with pilots in their 60s...and if he moves the AVG those early P-40...nothing that can bother your crack zeros daitais!
His Banshees are crap unless he manages to train his pilots...and even doing that you can easily get them on the ground with hordes of Sallies/Helens...

An advanced allied defence like the one we're seeing in CR's AAR is really something that a first time player cannot think to mount...at least not to a degree that can scare you...
Play offensively...keep on pushing him hard everywhere...keep your KB united and use at best your first months landing bonus!

Another small hint.... use single xAP with fragments of naval forces to occupy every single dot-base you come across....every single useless dot base...so that you will always be aware of his future advance even if you don't have mavis everywhere

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 5:35:00 PM)

quote:

Even if he moves the AVG at Clark, your zeros at high alt will sweep him to oblivion in a couple of weeks! For the first months allied air power is nearly useless...and you must beat him hard and don't leave him time to recover and reorganize. At this early point you'll be facing, at best, couple of squadrons of P-40Es with pilots in their 60s...and if he moves the AVG those early P-40...nothing that can bother your crack zeros daitais!
His Banshees are crap unless he manages to train his pilots...and even doing that you can easily get them on the ground with hordes of Sallies/Helens...

An advanced allied defence like the one we're seeing in CR's AAR is really something that a first time player cannot think to mount...at least not to a degree that can scare you...
Play offensively...keep on pushing him hard everywhere...keep your KB united and use at best your first months landing bonus!

Another small hint.... use single xAP with fragments of naval forces to occupy every single dot-base you come across....every single useless dot base...so that you will always be aware of his future advance even if you don't have mavis everywhere

Wow. You're getting me all pumped up GJ!

Yes, the other thing is you don't want to forget one and have him fly stuff into some random dot base near Macassar at an inopportune moment later in the game!

I get the sense he's not the average first time player. Lots of gaming experience. He gets the tactical stuff based on comments he's left elsewhere, and I bet he'll have a plan from the beginning. Could be Sir Robin, or it could be CRumatra!

I'll find out soon.

GreyJoy -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/3/2011 6:04:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Wow. You're getting me all pumped up GJ!

I bet i am[;)]

[image]local://upfiles/37890/32EDA9A292E64A5096D23E11090067D2.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/4/2011 5:46:29 PM)

Thanks for that, or uh, not really. GreyJoy, going to levels most of us can't hope to reach.

Dec. 7, 1941

After some nail biting and severe doubting of my settings, I received the turn back from Dan and watched the replay. I won't say yet this was the opening I had hoped for, but there were no major disasters and some minor successes. Dan showed with a few small moves that he will be an opponent to reckon with and be wary of.

Pearl Harbor

I set one less Kate group to torpedo and I think this was not the best choice. I figured the 800kg bombs might do nearly as much damage to the BBs and if they hit something else, really tear a hole in it. Instead, the BBs did their job, ate a bunch of bombs, and none were reported to have sunk outright. Some of the hits on other ships do look like big 800kg hits, especially the DDs that did sink.

One suicide sub impaled itself only after actually launching torpedoes and scoring a hit on the Maryland. Miracle! The rest floundered in various ways as usual.

I had one group of Zeros attacking the airfields at 100ft, a group of Vals and one of Kates bombing as well, and came away with what looks like mediocre airframe destruction. Lots of damaged planes reported, but also a lot more than are actually there, so obviously those are not on the mark.

As a result of this inconclusive set of reports, I will attack again on turn 2. I only lost a few A6M2s on the day, so I'm prepared to take heavier losses for one more day to make sure I've made a dent here.

One of Dan's subs went right to the KB and launched 4 torps at Soryu, but luckily all missed. I sent the KB out west and then back in on an arc, and put a whole flood of subs in between tomorrow's launch point and Pearl, so hopefully any enterprising SCTFs or subs will hit those first. I also set a few Pete's to night search and some to ASW at 2 hexes around the KB.

I'm nervous about the oilers up there all alone (which were detected at 7/7), but if he goes for it with the Enterprise TF I'll come hard after him the next day.

DEI

The only unconventional move here was to send the Manado TF from Samah to Singawang on a quick TF. Dan was smart and kept his Swordies on 8 hex range, and hit two xAKs unloading. One went down with a few troops and the other is now going to try to limp back to Saigon. I got 55 AV ashore, and think this might take the place considering the state of the KNIL battalion there and its low moral. If it doesn't, there's no great damage, as he can't move a lot in there quickly, but I'd like to get it quick and set up the airfield.

Dutch subs went right after the TFs around Malaya, and he also got an xAK at Patani.

Phillippenes

The port bombing at Manilla hit 11 subs with a bomb each, so not bad there. I'll keep it up until it looks like nothing is left in there. We hit some B-17s on the ground at Clark, but again not sure how many really.

Apparri and Vigan invasions are on, Legaspi is not, but is heading to Ambon instead. More on that soon. Legaspi 2 is heading to Antimonan, but won't arrive for a while.

China

It's be quiet here for a while as I organize garrisons and rest divisions back to full strength. I'm more concerned with cutting supply by getting to Burma quickly than hurrying here. I did hit Hong Kong Port and Changsha airfield. I'll be bringing a few new Sally groups in soon, changing out the Nates, and once things are more settled start moving toward Sian, chasing random Chinese corps around, and hoping to land at Pakhoi and head up toward Nanning.

Wake Invasion

Put together the Tarawa and Wake invasions and they're heading up to Wake. I'm nervous about the Lexington TF moving in, so with the day 2 Pearl strike, I'll head this back to the Marshals for a few days until I know the coast is clear.

Combat Reports

I won't always post lengthy combat reports, but for this and other crucial turns I will. I'd welcome any thoughts about the PH attack especially, and the situation with the US CVTFs and their likely movements.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Dec 07, 41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Midget Sub attack inside harbor of Pearl Harbor!!!

Japanese Ships
SSX Ha-24, hits 6, heavy damage

Allied Ships
BB Maryland, Torpedo hits 1
PC Taney

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Patani at 52,72

Japanese Ships
xAK Meiten Maru, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
PB Eiko Maru

Allied Ships
SS KXVII

Japanese ground losses:
7 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

SS KXVII launches 4 torpedoes at xAK Meiten Maru

Day Time Surface Combat, near Singkawang at 56,88, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Fubuki
DD Usugumo
DD Shirayuki
DD Hatsuyuki
APD Fuji
TB Hiyodori
PB Heiei Maru #7
xAK Syoka Maru
xAK Rokko Maru
xAK Igasa Maru
xAKL Ryoyu Maru #21
xAKL Sasago Maru

Allied Ships
CL Danae

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions: 28,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 21,000 yards
Japanese TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 21,000 yards...
Japanese Amphibious TF evades combat

Morning Air attack on Pearl Harbor , at 180,107

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 72 NM, estimated altitude 2,100 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 80
B5N2 Kate x 144
D3A1 Val x 135

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed by flak
B5N2 Kate: 3 damaged
D3A1 Val: 7 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 38 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 98 damaged
PBY-5 Catalina: 7 destroyed on ground
P-36A Mohawk: 18 damaged
P-36A Mohawk: 3 destroyed on ground
SBD-1 Dauntless: 21 damaged
SBD-1 Dauntless: 3 destroyed on ground
B-17E Fortress: 17 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 23 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 2 destroyed on ground
P-40B Warhawk: 43 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 3 destroyed on ground
F4F-3 Wildcat: 6 damaged
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed on ground
O-47A: 7 damaged
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground
A-20A Havoc: 17 damaged
A-20A Havoc: 3 destroyed on ground
C-33: 4 damaged
R3D-2: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Pennsylvania, Bomb hits 12, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 7, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB California, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
BB Maryland, Bomb hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB Tennessee, Bomb hits 9, heavy fires
CL St. Louis, Bomb hits 1
BB West Virginia, Bomb hits 7, heavy fires
CL Helena, Bomb hits 2
BB Nevada, Bomb hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AR Vestal, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA San Francisco, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires
BB Oklahoma, Bomb hits 5, on fire
PT-30, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
CL Phoenix, Bomb hits 1
DD Dale, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AO Neosho, Bomb hits 1
DD Farragut, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
DD Cummings, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
SS Cachalot, Bomb hits 1
DD Schley, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
DD Jarvis, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AV Wright, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA New Orleans, Bomb hits 2, on fire
DM Montgomery, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

Repair Shipyard hits 3
Airbase hits 31
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 47
Port hits 23
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x A6M2 Zero bombing from 100 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 60 kg GP Bomb
12 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
Port Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 800 kg AP Bomb
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
Airfield Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
27 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Port Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
City Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
18 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb
11 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
18 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 9000 feet
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 10000 feet
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
27 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 10000 feet
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
6 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
4 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 10000 feet
13 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
10 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
11 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
19 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'
12 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'
12 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'

CAP engaged:
18th PG/6th PS with P-40B Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 1 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 7 minutes

Training flight from 18th PG/6th PS has been caught up in attack
Magazine explodes on DD Dale

Morning Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9

Allied aircraft
P-40B Warhawk x 1

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
24th PG/HqS with P-40B Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 1 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 2 minutes

Morning Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Raid spotted at 43 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 13

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 5 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.67 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (1 airborne, 4 on standby, 10 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 24 minutes

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 13 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 27
G3M2 Nell x 27
G4M1 Betty x 27

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
SS Perch, Bomb hits 1
SS Tarpon, Bomb hits 1
SS Swordfish, Bomb hits 1
DD Pillsbury, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Searaven, Bomb hits 1
SS Porpoise, Bomb hits 1
SS Stingray, Bomb hits 1
AM Whippoorwill, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AV Langley, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
SS Permit, Bomb hits 1
SS Sargo, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
AVD Childs, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 15000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
27 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 15000 feet
8 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet *

Morning Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Raid detected at 56 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 19 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 36
G3M2 Nell x 9
G4M1 Betty x 54

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-35A: 8 damaged
P-35A: 1 destroyed on ground
B-17D Fortress: 24 damaged
P-40B Warhawk: 7 damaged
O-47A: 5 damaged
O-47A: 1 destroyed on ground

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 39

Aircraft Attacking:
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb
9 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 15000 feet
4 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet

Morning Air attack on Davao , at 79,91

Raid spotted at 26 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N1 Kate x 12

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
AVD William B. Preston, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires

Port hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x B5N1 Kate bombing from 5000 feet

Morning Air attack on Kota Bharu , at 51,75

Raid spotted at 26 NM, estimated altitude 3,100 feet.
Estimated time to target is 8 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18
Ki-27b Nate x 44

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-27b Nate: 4 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Buffalo I: 3 destroyed

Airbase hits 5
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 22

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x Ki-27b Nate sweeping at 10000 feet
12 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 10000 feet
15 x Ki-27b Nate bombing from 100 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 50 kg GP Bomb
4 x Ki-27b Nate bombing from 100 feet
Airfield Attack: 1 plane(s) with no ordnance
Airfield Attack: 2 x 50 kg GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
No.21 Sqn RAAF with Buffalo I (15 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(15 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
15 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead

Morning Air attack on Kota Bharu , at 51,75

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 16
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 48
Ki-43-Ia Oscar x 24
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 32
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 30

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 38 damaged
Hudson I: 2 destroyed on ground
Vildebeest III: 3 damaged
Vildebeest III: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Airbase hits 18
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 42

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb
27 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 10000 feet
30 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb
12 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on Manila , at 79,77

Raid detected at 34 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
SS Saury, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage
SS S-37, Bomb hits 1
SS Sealion, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Port hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 15000 feet *
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Hong Kong , at 77,61

Raid detected at 79 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 27 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 7
Ki-44 Tojo x 5
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 12
Ki-51 Sonia x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 1 damaged
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
xAK Nanning, Bomb hits 2
xAK Hai Lee, Bomb hits 2, on fire
xAKL Yat Shing, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Hinsang, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires
xAK Munlock, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Hanyang, Bomb hits 1
xAK Fatshan, Bomb hits 1

Repair Shipyard hits 7
Port hits 5

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 4 x 50 kg GP Bomb
5 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 10000 feet
City Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb
7 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 10000 feet
Port Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb
13 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing from 10000 feet
Port Attack: 4 x 50 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Changsha , at 82,52

Raid spotted at 32 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 7
Ki-51 Sonia x 12

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
DB-3M: 1 damaged
SB-III: 2 damaged
A-29A Hudson: 1 damaged

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 18

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-51 Sonia bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 50 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 27 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 36
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 33

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 1

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 23

Aircraft Attacking:
36 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 10000 feet
12 x Ki-43-Ib Oscar sweeping at 10000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.67 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 16 minutes

Raid spotted at 38 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 18

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Indira, Bomb hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
HDML 1103, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Mundra, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Agnes, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Chaksang, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Chilka, Bomb hits 3, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Hermelin, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
xAKL Ardent, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires
HDML 1104, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 10000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on Clark Field , at 79,76

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 36
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 27

Allied aircraft
P-26A x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-26A: 1 destroyed

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 10

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 15000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 100 kg GP Bomb
15 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet
9 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
6th PS PAAC with P-26A (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 1 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 21 minutes
24th PG/20th PS with P-40B Warhawk (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 6 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 8 minutes

Training flight from 24th PG/20th PS has been caught up in attack

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Patani at 51,73

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-27b Nate x 9

Allied aircraft
Blenheim I x 7
Hudson I x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim I: 3 destroyed, 1 damaged
Hudson I: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano
AK Tosan Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Hudson I bombing from 6000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 250 lb SAP Bomb
3 x Blenheim I bombing from 6000 feet
Naval Attack: 4 x 250 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
77th Sentai Det A with Ki-27b Nate (5 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(5 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
5 plane(s) intercepting now.
Raid is overhead
1st Sentai with Ki-27b Nate (4 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(4 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 9000
Raid is overhead

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Singkawang at 56,88

Raid spotted at 2 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Allied aircraft
Swordfish I x 5
B-339D x 3

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAK Syoka Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
xAK Igasa Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
475 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 13 destroyed, 22 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x Swordfish I bombing from 6000 feet *
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 lb SAP Bomb

Sub attack near Pearl Harbor at 180,104

Japanese Ships
CV Soryu
CA Tone
DD Akigumo
DD Kasumi
DD Arare
DD Tanikaze
DD Hamakaze

Allied Ships
SS Plunger

SS Plunger launches 4 torpedoes at CV Soryu
DD Kasumi fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Arare fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Tanikaze fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Hamakaze fails to find sub and abandons search
Escort abandons search for sub

Ground combat at Singkawang (56,88)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 787 troops, 5 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 30

Defending force 1432 troops, 11 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 55

Assaulting units:
West Borneo KNIL Battalion
Singkawang Base Force

Defending units:
15th Nav Gd /1
8th JNAF Coy /1

princep01 -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/4/2011 7:36:46 PM)

My guess is that Pennsylvania was the only BB sunk in the first attack. Looks like 3 DD, a DM and yes! a PT Boat join her at PH. The Manila bombing attack PROBABLY did not hit all those subs. Maybe half are real hits, likely less than half. But, a good day on the merchants and your losses were very low.

Another attack on PH will probably sink one or two more BBs and WILL visit significant air losses on KB. I'm not sure that is a good trade as the BBs that will be sunk will otherwise be out of action for a very long time anyway (6 months to a year +). That is th eperiod you will be on the offensive. Yes, they are worth points and they are useful for shore bombardment, but actually, they are a hinderance in most other naval battles (except against the old, slow IJN BBs) . I'd think carefully before risking the loss of 20-30 ace pilots for those ships.

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/4/2011 11:12:51 PM)

quote:

My guess is that Pennsylvania was the only BB sunk in the first attack. Looks like 3 DD, a DM and yes! a PT Boat join her at PH. The Manila bombing attack PROBABLY did not hit all those subs. Maybe half are real hits, likely less than half. But, a good day on the merchants and your losses were very low.

Another attack on PH will probably sink one or two more BBs and WILL visit significant air losses on KB. I'm not sure that is a good trade as the BBs that will be sunk will otherwise be out of action for a very long time anyway (6 months to a year +). That is th eperiod you will be on the offensive. Yes, they are worth points and they are useful for shore bombardment, but actually, they are a hinderance in most other naval battles (except against the old, slow IJN BBs) . I'd think carefully before risking the loss of 20-30 ace pilots for those ships.

Well, the turn is gone now, but I'd still like to learn from this, so thanks for that princep. Good aim on the PT, eh?

I guess my feeling on the old BBs is that they get really useful in 43 during amphibious landings. Put a few of those in the TF that hits the beach and you suck up a lot of shore battery, air hits, and give some back as well. The AA is also not bad on those after the refit. Having 7 of them floating around for the US seems like a good thing (for him), and worth more than even 30 of the best IJN pilots. I know those guys are great, but I have confidence I can train up to 55 EXP, 70 TORP, 60 LN, 65 DEF for the KB if I don't use it every single week to hit another flak heavy port. That's bit off the starting levels, but not much.

I'm just as excited to see if I can take down the CA's and a few more Cats and B-17s on Henderson field as well though. There will be quite a few unflyables there waiting to get hit.

xAK Oregon Maru

The Oregon Maru is among several Aden class xAKs converting to the xAK-t type for a little extra troop carrying ability. She'll be in Nagoya for a few more days.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/9F37AC9CDA6D4E7299FEBF8A7F3BB949.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/5/2011 2:26:25 PM)

Tainan Ku T-1

This group is supporting the PI invasion and hoping to get a lot of kills over Clark and Manilla. I won't be basing them here for long. Too far to keep sweeping from Taiwan. As soon as we have airbases set up, they'll be moving to the PI.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/3F866988804E41AEB5464ECEC6656A57.jpg[/image]

PaxMondo -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/5/2011 5:03:28 PM)

I agree with you ... take those BB's out or you will pay for it in '43. Hate losing the pilots, but as you say, by the time most allied players will risk their CV's in a battle (after July '42), you will have plenty of reasonably skilled pilots in your pool to replace them with.

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/5/2011 5:14:25 PM)

quote:

I agree with you ... take those BB's out or you will pay for it in '43. Hate losing the pilots, but as you say, by the time most allied players will risk their CV's in a battle (after July '42), you will have plenty of reasonably skilled pilots in your pool to replace them with.

Pax

I just read of their use in 45 in the downfall scenario Nemo is AARing as well. His opponent lost a few of them in amphib TFs, but because they were there, it meant they ate the damage that would have otherwise taken out 20-30 other ships loaded with troops. Plus he didn't fly his bomber squads thinking the AA would be too hot. That seems worth keeping around, or from my point of view, worth taking another good shot at.

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/6/2011 5:45:41 PM)

Dan sent back turn 2 after a long consideration of his options and it threw me for a loop. This game is getting interesting already.

8 Dec 1941

Pearl Harbor

The day 2 attack went off as planned. My groups took much heavier losses as expected. Only when they got to the port to bomb, there were no ships in Pearl Harbor!!!

I was utterly confused watching the reply. After looking at the reports, and the screen mouseovers, it does appear PH is empty! This was a bold move on his part, (if it is not a strange bug) but depending on what else is happening out there East of Hawaii, it could be a fantastic opportunity.

He could have done one of two things in my opinion.

1. Moved everything out at top speed and sent it to the West Coast, burning BBs and all. Three are listed as sunk last turn. Not at Pearl, but near Pearl and Lahaina. Two DDs listed sunk near Hilo.

2. Moved most out at top speed but made multiple SCTFs of the multitude of DDs from PH, and set a rear action screen for the rest of the ships that the KB will run into tomorrow. Or they could be a zillion tiny 1-3 ship SCTFs meant to trip up movement and run me out of ammo in case I dislodge and chase with a SCTF of my own.

The damaged BBs can't be far, nor can the merchants and supply ships which were there.

The other strange thing is that very few aircraft are reported at PH now, including NO aux. I had 200 bombers over the port and airfield plus a few float recons and I can't imagine this is off by too much. So where did all of the damaged planes go? Could he have loaded them and got away in one turn with the AKs?

Here is a map. Let me know what you think, please!

[image]local://upfiles/37283/205595D6BE7E43F595D9F92138983B64.jpg[/image]

obvert -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/6/2011 5:50:23 PM)

Here is the path of the KB and my SCTF for tommorrow. I split this off the KB as a screen from the PTs and a hunting TF for tomorrow if I do indeed sight over 100 ships speeding to San Fran.

I ran over another sub yesterday, but my escorts sighted it first. I'll keep some floats on ASW. I set the Kates and Vals to short range to avoid the PH cap and set the Kates to bombs at 5,000 to conserve torpedoes for the next day if we do sight some things. If the KB does reach this position I can't imagine all of the BBs would have cleared this area by then, and we might still have a shot at them or other slow AUX and merchants.

[image]local://upfiles/37283/253D3AD14AA048DA97A0A332B120B1B5.jpg[/image]

Jzanes -> RE: South of the Border, West of the Sun - obvert (J) vs Dan Nichols (A) (10/6/2011 5:56:47 PM)

What range is your naval search set at? Would your subs have spotted any ships fleeing to the east, south, or north?

I suspect he's playing a shell game. I bet he moved all the ships and had them "auto disband" in Hilo and Lahaina harbours. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move them back to Pearl next turn. I bet he lost several heavily damaged ships once they left Pearl and their damage control failed.

You might try hitting the smaller HI ports and have the KB sweep around to the east and see if you spot and kill any slow moving cripples.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
7.421875E-02