Power Management (suggestion) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns

Fornax -> Power Management (suggestion) (2/15/2011 9:51:06 PM)

This is an idea that, if implemented, would (probably) require some rebalancing work. I just wanted to put it out there as food for thought:

What if there was another titan equipment category called "Power Management". A power management system would act as a power unit reservoir (an "ultra capacitor") inside the titan that would soak up any excess (currently wasted) power units generated by the engine.

These PUs could then be used as needed. Like if your titan does something that spikes its energy demand like running and swivelling at the same time. Instead of the swivel getting cancelled if there's insufficient power from the engine, it would draw the needed power unit(s) from the PMS.

Systems would first try to obtain their PUs directly from the engine. Failing that, they would try to get them from the PMS (if the titan has one installed). This would "smooth out" the titan's PU consumption/demand dynamic.

A titan with energy weapons and a fully charged capacitor could sustain a short burst of elevated firepower. Or a titan with a damaged engine could draw down its capacitor to make up the PU deficit, allowing it to function at full power for a short period of time. An overheated titan with a shut down engine could draw upon its capacitor to move out of a burning hex.

A redesign of existing titans wouldn't be needed, since they none of them have a PMS anyway.

What do you think?

LarkinVB -> RE: Power Management (suggestion) (2/16/2011 8:37:58 AM)

This is an interesting idea which already crossed my mind some years ago. I also liked the idea of adding leg actuators so titans of the same weight can have different speeds but development on TOS has stopped

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI