How do you take over an independent colony (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room

LarryVE -> How do you take over an independent colony (2/4/2011 6:30:20 AM)

I have encountered a couple of independent colonies. Two are manned by races that are unfriendly to me. I tried sending a colony ship to one and the colonization failed.

How do I take over an independent colony when:

1. they are neutral or friendly to me

2. they are not friendly to me

and ... if I take over an unfriendly colony do I need to keep troops on the colony and what ratio of my troops to the population are necessary?

Thanks.

J HG T -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (2/4/2011 7:02:04 AM)

1. If the possibility of colonizing is "probable. Friendly population" just send colony ship and they should join empire happily. I'm not so sure about neutrals but they should usually join your empire quite easily.
2. If population is hostile but you still want them in your empire, may it be their taxpayers or their ability to colonize a new type of planet, just send troop transport with 3-5 troop batallions to invade them. You get small rep hit doing this but I've never found it to harm my empire in any major way. Also, those troops keep the population in check. Just be sure to build spaceport with recreational center and hospital module on the planet to make sure that your new citizens are happy and healty.

sbach2o -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (2/4/2011 9:08:32 AM)

Also note, that the indication of friendly/neutral/hostile population seems to be always in relation to the dominant race of your empire. When a colonizer lands, the chances of a friendly takeover are determined by the independent's attitude towards the race on the colony ship, though. There might be a huge difference.

It is always a pretty safe bet to land with a colony ship having the same race as the independent colony. Of course, you cannot always staff such a ship. A race from the same group usually also works. I.e. if the race on the planet is 'Sluken', any insectoid race on a colonizer seems to offer a good chance of a friendly takeover.

Data -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (2/12/2011 2:17:46 PM)

All you need is one colony with the same race or family of races as the independents and at least 10 milion population so that it can build the colony ship

Wreck -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (2/14/2011 5:24:00 PM)

So far as I can tell, you don't need to garrison places you take over.  (Vanilla DW 1.06.)  I hope they do change that, or did in the expansion.  Anyway, when you invade an independent you do take a reputation hit, but other than that invasion is cheaper than colonization, assuming you've got at least one transport ship and a few troops anyway.

Data -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (2/14/2011 5:32:37 PM)

given how hard you get the rep back it's not that cheap actually....maybe not that hard but anyway it does count. But we have other, more sly, methods to do it.
I also hope they change this, in MOO2 for example you always lost sakkra captured colonies to insurgents....altough the fact that after invading you could capture tech made this a kind of exploit

Tomatoes -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (1/11/2012 1:51:47 PM)

in my game the other day as Humans I had 3 Kaidian inderpendants in my nearby systems.

I colonized 2 of them with colony ships friendly but the 3rd one resisted...this was weird as at this point i had 3 planets. 1 human and 2 kaidian.

Anyways I didnt wanna gamble another colony ship on them so I just invaded...

Short on colony ships? Too many planets to colonize.....invade the inderpendants....much quicker [;)]

Deggial -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (1/11/2012 1:56:06 PM)

Quicker and - as I learnd by reading this forum (thus not out of personal experience) also way more hitting your diplomatic relations.
As it is stated somewhere else, invading an independent colonie causes the same diplomatic hit as declaring war to a mayor civ.

Tomatoes -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (1/11/2012 2:00:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deggial

Quicker and - as I learnd by reading this forum (thus not out of personal experience) also way more hitting your diplomatic relations.
As it is stated somewhere else, invading an independent colonie counts gives the same diplomatic hit as declaring war to a mayor civ.

true true...I think its -4 for invading an inderpendant and -3 for DoW on another empire.

Kill a few pirates and all is well again [:D]

dalecox -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (1/11/2012 5:43:03 PM)

I have been sitting on this independent race for quite some time and I can't seem to do either colonize or invade.  The colony ship will not give me the option to colonize.  I had a troup transport with 7 on it and they just went there and disappeared.  Since it seems to take forever to get to this planet, it's not that easy to just send more troups.  I'm a newbie so any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong are welcome.

dalecox -> RE: How do you take over an independent colony (1/11/2012 5:54:58 PM)

Ok, nm.  The second troup transport was successful at taking the colony.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
4.785156E-02