LCU replacements (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Chris21wen -> LCU replacements (2/2/2011 4:36:20 PM)

Am I right in saying that an LCU will only receive replacements if there is a base(s) that is within supply range of it and then only if the base has at least twice the supplies the base requires?

Supply range is the problem. I know the cost is for each type of terrian but not what the supply range is based on these values.

inqistor -> RE: LCU replacements (2/2/2011 5:09:09 PM)

I am not sure, that unit can receive replacements NOT in base. And supplies should be much higher, than twice.

Common guess is that you subtract hexes terrain cost from 100. As long, as you have positive value, there is supply range.

Grfin Zeppelin -> RE: LCU replacements (2/2/2011 6:11:05 PM)

Having correct HQ in range which is siting on 20k+ supplies and no enemys in the Hex always works. Sadly I have no clue about the finer mechanixs

Chris21wen -> RE: LCU replacements (2/3/2011 11:00:13 AM)

Anybody know the definitive answer?

michaelm75au -> RE: LCU replacements (2/3/2011 11:32:47 AM)

Basically 3 variants (IIRC):
1. National Base hex with supplies > 2 x required supply +100
2. Base hex with supplies > 2 x required supply +100
3. Units not in a Base hex

A LCU could benefit from all 3 attempts to get replacements.

Case 1 and 2:
All LCUs within supply range (>49 points left) of the base are tested - there is some added randomness to this so it does not happen EVERY turn.
a) Chosen LCU can accept replacements (allowed and no delay in replacement cycle - usually every 7 days).
b) Chosen LCU not a fragment.
c) Chosen LCU is in base with +20K supply and at REST can try to take replacements each turn.
d) Supply from base is used when LCU draws replacements from there

Case 3:
LCU can accept replacements (allowed and no delay in replacement cycle - usually every 3 days).
LCU not a fragment.
LCU is in base with +20K supply and at REST can try to take replacements each turn.
LCU carries supply > 4 x required supply
LCU supply is used when drawing replacements

Supply range is base on the magical number 100. It decreases as you move out from the base according to the terrain and ZOCs. I don't know exactly what the numbers are but I had thought that they were in the manual.
Yep, page 189 of physical manual - its under section 8.3.1 Overland movement as a chart for defence value, supply and movement costs.

Now I think of it, it would have been nice to have added some sort of indicator of the supply state to the LCU display, especially the LCUs NOT in a base. Base LCUs should be obvious.

Case 3 would most likely happen only if the LCU couldn't trace a good supply path to a friendly base, and had plenty of supplies. Most likely situation here would be an invasion (or unloading of LCU into a non-friendly or non-base hex) or at the start of a scenario.

USSAmerica -> RE: LCU replacements (2/3/2011 1:58:46 PM)

Good stuff, Michael.  Thanks! [:)]

Is it true that units in a base normally take replacements only once in 7 days, unless in Rest Mode?  I've never noticed a delay like that with LCU's.  Air groups, sure.  It seems strange to me that the typical delay for LCU's out in the countryside is only 3 days, while in a base it would be 7 days. 

Nomad -> RE: LCU replacements (2/3/2011 2:06:47 PM)

I thought Tracker has shown that I have had units not in a base hex and certainly much less than 4x requirements take on replacements.

For now I rely on michaelms information. If I see in Tracker where I think a unit outside of a base is getting a replacement, I will report it.

morganbj -> RE: LCU replacements (2/3/2011 2:39:35 PM)

I think that replacements flow to other untis as well. I have Chineese units now at 100% and there's no base there with 20k supply. SOme were just haning out at some road junction for a while, well, actually quite a while.

USSAmerica -> RE: LCU replacements (2/3/2011 3:12:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

I thought Tracker has shown that I have had units not in a base hex and certainly much less than 4x requirements take on replacements.

For now I rely on michaelms information. If I see in Tracker where I think a unit outside of a base is getting a replacement, I will report it.

Nomad, as I understand what Michael posted, that 4x requirement for LCU's outside bases is only for those that are not within "supply range" of a base. In a base, or within supply range of a base, they would draw on the supply of the base to take reinforcements.

Chris21wen -> RE: LCU replacements (2/3/2011 5:24:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Supply range is base on the magical number 100. It decreases as you move out from the base according to the terrain and ZOCs. I don't know exactly what the numbers are but I had thought that they were in the manual.
Yep, page 189 of physical manual - its under section 8.3.1 Overland movement as a chart for defence value, supply and movement costs.

Thanks.

Yes! the basic terrain supply costs are but the magical number 100 is not which is what I was inquiring about.

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

3. Units not in a Base hex

Case 3:
LCU can accept replacements (allowed and no delay in replacement cycle - usually every 3 days).
LCU not a fragment.
LCU is in base with +20K supply and at REST can try to take replacements each turn.
LCU carries supply > 4 x required supply
LCU supply is used when drawing replacements

Case 3 would most likely happen only if the LCU couldn't trace a good supply path to a friendly base, and had plenty of supplies. Most likely situation here would be an invasion (or unloading of LCU into a non-friendly or non-base hex) or at the start of a scenario.

I confused about the red text as it's under case 3, 'not in a base'.

LCU carries supply > 4 x required supply - would answer my question on why some LCUs are not drawing replacement.

michaelm75au -> RE: LCU replacements (2/4/2011 10:31:06 AM)

A LCU  goes through all 3 possible chance/cases, based on being near bases in the first 2 cases and then checking every LCU to see if it can drawn any possible replacements in case it had failed the "near base" checks.

So even if the LCU is in a base for case 1 and 2, the base might not have enough supply (>2 x required) or it might fail its random checks.
But during case 3, it may still gets is delay reset back so it can take replacements the next turn.

michaelm75au -> RE: LCU replacements (2/4/2011 10:32:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

LCUs not sitting in a base will still possibly get replacements if LCU is in the supply range of a base.

michaelm75au -> RE: LCU replacements (2/4/2011 10:39:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Good stuff, Michael.  Thanks! [:)]

Is it true that units in a base normally take replacements only once in 7 days, unless in Rest Mode?  I've never noticed a delay like that with LCU's.  Air groups, sure.  It seems strange to me that the typical delay for LCU's out in the countryside is only 3 days, while in a base it would be 7 days. 

That's what the code says.
Actually based on the order of checking, if the LCU took replacements from one of the base checks (which sets it the delay to 7 days), the last "check all LCUs" would actually set the 7-day delay to 3 days.
So I am not 100% sure what the logic behind the 3 or 7-day delay. It could be that it started as 7-days (like groups), but got lowered to enable a better low of individual devices into the LCUs.

CV2 -> RE: LCU replacements (2/4/2011 12:34:27 PM)

Would be nice if there was a way to force an upgrade (or downgrade) of a device. I have some divisions that have a regiment or 2 that upgraded but 1 part hasnt so the unit cant be recombined.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI