Saving the Web for Posterity (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

GaryChildress -> Saving the Web for Posterity (9/28/2010 1:53:13 PM)

Is there a way, some sort of program that will copy whole websites? Is there a way to easily save to hard disk a website and all its internal links so that you can browse the site offline?

Ever since Geocities went defunkt I've been concerned about losing access to some of my favorite websites like http://niehorster.orbat.com. There were some really good WWII websites on Geocities and now they are gone forever. I'd like to prevent this from happening to me in the future. [:(]

Thanks.

sprior -> RE: Saving the Web for Posterity (9/28/2010 2:00:10 PM)

Be careful about copying other people's material, it may be copyright and they might be sensitive about it.

junk2drive -> RE: Saving the Web for Posterity (9/28/2010 2:13:53 PM)

The other problem is obsolete hardware. Save to 8-track? Beta? VHS? 5.25 floppy? Someday, whatever you save to will be a problem.

ilovestrategy -> RE: Saving the Web for Posterity (9/28/2010 3:03:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

The other problem is obsolete hardware. Save to 8-track? Beta? VHS? 5.25 floppy? Someday, whatever you save to will be a problem.

OMG. 5.25 floppies. I suddenly have flash backs of multiple disks installing Ultima 6 and Star Trek 25th Anniversary! [:D]

Bodhi -> RE: Saving the Web for Posterity (9/28/2010 3:17:53 PM)

HTTrack is one: http://www.httrack.com/

junk2drive -> RE: Saving the Web for Posterity (9/28/2010 3:28:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

OMG. 5.25 floppies. I suddenly have flash backs of multiple disks installing Ultima 6 and Star Trek 25th Anniversary! [:D]

How about Ultima without a number on an Apple IIe? I still have the notching tool for those floppys.

MikeBrough -> RE: Saving the Web for Posterity (9/28/2010 6:06:28 PM)

quote:

How about Ultima without a number on an Apple IIe? I still have the notching tool for those floppys.

How about Ultima without Ultima in the title? I remember Akalabeth on the IIe. Happy days.

E -> RE: Saving the Web for Posterity (9/28/2010 6:50:18 PM)

quote:

Where were you two months ago when I had to buy a new one for my still-running Apple II's? *not-kidding-grin*

Lützow -> RE: Saving the Web for Posterity (9/30/2010 1:05:12 AM)

WebArchive

is your friend for ancient websites.

pelle75 -> RE: Saving the Web for Posterity (10/4/2010 5:38:47 PM)

Im a big fan of the scrapbook extension for firefox.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI