RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Design and Modding

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/1/2010 2:02:57 AM)

Updated with several new planets. Here's some previews.

[image]local://upfiles/34469/0093E4B3078043A7BD935ABEA9E60488.jpg[/image]

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/1/2010 2:03:43 AM)

A continental planet claimed by the mighty Romulan Star Empire[:D]

[image]local://upfiles/34469/E9DF7CFDA7044EB289E0E90A55F6B46C.jpg[/image]

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/1/2010 2:05:06 AM)

Had to take snapshot of this. Couple of the new gas giants and moons in one shot.

[image]local://upfiles/34469/6E3F77F2E4EA45E289AD58C10F6B1FB1.jpg[/image]

drillerman -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/4/2010 7:18:41 PM)

WOW!!!!!

I love the Gas giant...........Fantastic!!!!!

Can these be downloaded yet???

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/5/2010 12:13:01 AM)

Yip. I'm updating the link on the 1st post.

ehsumrell1 -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/5/2010 5:26:21 AM)

Way 2 Go Igard! [&o]

Shark7 -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/5/2010 3:14:00 PM)

Nice. [&o]

Fishers of Men -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/5/2010 8:18:11 PM)

Excellent work!!

WoodMan -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/6/2010 12:38:16 AM)

Yup!  Fantastic stuff, cheers!

Btw, can I ask what settings you use when saving exactly, I made a planet and it appeared really dark in the game, but yours and the originals are fine [:D]

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/6/2010 1:04:54 AM)

I use the default settings on GIMP. Select png as the file type, name it and save it. Maximum compression as it doesn't seem to make a difference with these.

Make sure there isn't a 'save gamma' option checked. I don't use that and don't know what effect it'll have.

Conflictx -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/30/2010 10:16:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

I know what you mean, Baleur, it's very tough keeping motivated to do this stuff. That's why I don't put any pressure on myself, I'm taking my time with this and if anyone wants to help, then that's very much appreciated.[:)]

Hehe, true and speaking from experience here... Ive made slow progress since I actually started.. partially because of college which also made me hugely inactive on the forum. :p

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (11/30/2010 12:48:47 PM)

Hello again, Conflictx. Yes Distant Worlds can't be very condusive to getting good grades. Keep it up, it'll be worth it in the end.[;)]

Duael -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/3/2011 5:32:39 PM)

There is a growing collection of SiFi Planet bitmaps at
http://freebitmaps.blogspot.com/

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/3/2011 9:45:29 PM)

That looks very useful indeed, Duael. I'll take a look at this sometime soon. [8D]

drillerman -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/3/2011 11:08:43 PM)

here's one

[image]local://upfiles/34061/2AB871F11EC84EC8B1A8EF4C7D990855.jpg[/image]

drillerman -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/3/2011 11:19:00 PM)

...and another, is it Arrakis?

[image]local://upfiles/34061/843418627006435A8E4CC54861AC13EB.jpg[/image]

ooops! Came out a bit big, sorry!

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/3/2011 11:30:05 PM)

Beautiful, drillerman!

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/3/2011 11:51:58 PM)

Drillerman, I know you can do this yourself, but would you like me to convert these to pngs using the same method as the rest of them?

Setekh -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/4/2011 2:13:20 AM)

Some of these are a little large don't you think?
I know you're trying to increase quality but planets in game are never rendered this large so you're only losing all the detail when they appear in game. Not to mention the increased memory requirements when all these are loaded at once.

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/4/2011 3:42:14 AM)

You're probably right. I didn't want to make them too small as there's no going back from that and keeping them large means that any enhancements to the games rendering (we can dream can't we?) we can keep up with it. [;)]

I've noticed some increased load times with these, but performance is good on my system. There's a warning on the first post about the possible performance hit so it's really up to the player if they want to try it out and it is still WIP.

There WILL be a low res version, but that's only when I (or another generous person with too much time on their hands) gets round to creating one.

drillerman -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/4/2011 6:32:30 AM)

Hi Igard,
Thanks for the offer, however I have also saved these as PNG's as well. The reason these are JPEG's was because I thought we could only post JPEG's on the forum?

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (2/4/2011 1:00:33 PM)

The only 2 ways are to zip them or upload to an image host. This is the easiest host I've found to use, no logins or anything, just upload and copy the link : - http://imageshack.us/

I hope you're going to do more of these, they look fantastic. I don't know when I'll get back to it, but  I might have a look at that above site Duael posted pretty soon. [:)]

Bingeling -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (3/28/2011 5:37:15 PM)

Something strange here.

Installing this causes the game to crash very early in its load routine. Copying over them with the originals makes the game work. So some file in this makes the game go bananas (1.5.0.8).

Data -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (3/28/2011 6:42:41 PM)

Bananas in a beta? very unusual [:)]

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (3/28/2011 9:09:41 PM)

Sorry, Bingeling. I don't know what to suggest, they're just png files, nothing more. They are much larger than the vanilla files, so unless you've got a good amount of RAM, I wouldn't recommend them.

I haven't had much motivation to do these recently, but I'll start working on a low res version as soon as I'm able.

Bingeling -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (3/28/2011 9:18:01 PM)

No big issue really just thought I would mention it in case it is something changed in DW that makes it balk. I am surprised if it is a mem issue, as the crash is like a second into launch. Like it finds something strange that makes it drop dead.

Hm, I moved the originals and replaced, maybe there is a file missing or something.

cookie monster -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (3/28/2011 9:22:14 PM)

Only idea I have is...

I changed the opening movies names so they wouldnt play...the game crashed

Maybe one of the name's of the pictures in the game's loading list is incorrect

Bingeling -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (3/28/2011 9:24:49 PM)

It could be as simple as the replacements missing one file. I should backup by copy the originals, not by moving them. Tomorrow (or later) anyways, the gaming computer is shut down.

The bigger issue is getting a new game to stick. I am world champion at restarting.

Data -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (3/28/2011 9:33:51 PM)

quote:

The bigger issue is getting a new game to stick. I am world champion at restarting.

Don't be so sure, I think there's some tough competition on this. I claim the "crown".

Igard -> RE: New Planet Textures - Open Thread (Warning - Image Heavy) (3/28/2011 9:36:54 PM)

Ah, I think I see. This doesn't include replacements for every single planet texture, only about half of them.

So if you move the original files and place these ones, it will be missing half the files.

Instead, copy the originals and paste them somewhere as backup. Then overwrite the originals in the game directory.

Could that be what's causing this?

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.515625E-02