Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

BoredStiff -> Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 6:00:51 AM)

I can't for the life of me read any appreciable number of messages on that board, due to the insane way the messages are displayed. Someone needs to tell the guy running that site that signature lines are supposed to go at the bottom of posts, not at the top.
What makes it worse, is that they're in bold type. It is impossible to keep one's eyes from not reading them, or at least starting to read them, for virtually every post. It really detracts from the reading of the message bodies, not mention the headache-inducing eyestrain it causes.
It's crazy.
Here's a typical page. Note that it's very confusing as to what's part of a poster's sig line, at the top of the posts, and what's part of the message body, since in many cases they are in identical bold type.

I know they want to be different over there and not look the same as dozens of other forums - and of and by itself that's fine, but surely not at the expense of causing seizures to their readers.

06 Maestro -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 6:35:05 AM)

Agreed; it does have a cluttered look. The posts with quotes are a tad confusing/irritating.

Adam Parker -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 6:46:32 AM)

I modified my on-screen feel via preferences/personal settings. Have you given that a go?

Grell -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 6:48:41 AM)

It doesn't bother me for some reason.

Regards,

Grell

BoredStiff -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 7:08:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

I modified my on-screen feel via preferences/personal settings. Have you given that a go?

For paying members only, right?
Well, no then, as I'm not a member.

Adam Parker -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 7:22:50 AM)

You don't have to pay [:)]

Just click join!

BoredStiff -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 7:33:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

You don't have to pay [:)]

Just click join!

I'll look into it tomorrow - thanks.

SS Hauptsturmfuhrer -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 9:08:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BoredStiff

I can't for the life of me read any appreciable number of messages on that board, due to the insane way the messages are displayed. Someone needs to tell the guy running that site that signature lines are supposed to go at the bottom of posts, not at the top.
What makes it worse, is that they're in bold type. It is impossible to keep one's eyes from not reading them, or at least starting to read them, for virtually every post. It really detracts from the reading of the message bodies, not mention the headache-inducing eyestrain it causes.
It's crazy.
Here's a typical page. Note that it's very confusing as to what's part of a poster's sig line, at the top of the posts, and what's part of the message body, since in many cases they are in identical bold type.

I know they want to be different over there and not look the same as dozens of other forums - and of and by itself that's fine, but surely not at the expense of causing seizures to their readers.

A dog spanking a woman's semi-bare butt tends to distract from a reader's concentration in a similar way. [:)] Doubtful anyone minds too much though.

Krasny -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 11:15:28 AM)

Consimworld's forums are crazy, mainly because you only get one thread per game.

I prefer http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ for my boardgaming needs.

sterckxe -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 3:25:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer
A dog spanking a woman's semi-bare butt tends to distract from a reader's concentration in a similar way.

There was text in that post ???? [:D]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

BoredStiff -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 3:29:26 PM)

quote:

No

[image]http://i37.tinypic.com/r216dc.gif[/image]

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 3:31:01 PM)

It's not that bad so long as you know where you're going. Wargamers being what they are, I've always suspected that the serpentine structure of the forums is intentional. It keeps the riffraff out, and demonstrates a members ability to negotiate that which is otherwise arcane and/or hopelessly convoluted.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Yogi the Great -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 5:18:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

No

Ok, at least I understand the explanation for the second half of your name BoredStiff, I'm still working on the first half. [:-]

Anyway, good thing you are now into computer games, because if she ran into the table and knocked off your counters you might really be mad. [:@]

GJK -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/15/2008 5:49:40 PM)

I like CSW for its simplicity and lack of advertising, banners and javascript annoyances that cause a page to load in less than instant speed. I simply subscribe to a folder for any game that I'm interested in and then leave the "Message Center" open. It refreshes at an interval that I determined, so I know soon enough if someone has posted in a folder that I'm monitoring.

BGG is horrendous with the banners, ads and slow-down crap that it has running on it. I'll only go there to check out player reviews on a game that I might be interested in buying.

Wargamer.com is worse than BGG.com - that ASPPlayground.NET forum is non-functional with Opera so I'll only read the 10 or so posts that go up there a day and rarely (try to) respond.

I like war-historical on USENET for the same simplicity that CSW offers, however those discussions are usually only good for a dozen posts or so before it strays way off-topic.

As with opinions, YMMV. [;)]

BoredStiff -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/16/2008 2:35:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

BGG is horrendous with the banners, ads and slow-down crap that it has running on it.

[sarcasm]The horror.[/sarcasm]

Krasny -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/16/2008 11:13:45 AM)

quote:

BGG is horrendous with the banners, ads and slow-down crap that it has running on it. I'll only go there to check out player reviews on a game that I might be interested in buying.

But at least the geek has proper forums.

It also has photographs of games.

And the slow down is not that great.

sterckxe -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/16/2008 12:05:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK
I like war-historical on USENET for the same simplicity that CSW offers, however those discussions are usually only good for a dozen posts or so before it strays way off-topic.

A dozen ? Optimist ! [;)]

The real funny thing is that sometimes threads which start off-topic turn into a discussion on wargames [;)] I see UseNet more as a wargamer's general discussion forum about pretty much everything. The fact that it's uncensored and unmoderated is at the same time the beauty and the bane of it.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Why Consimworld Sucks (for me) (11/16/2008 6:09:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

quote:

quote:

No

Ok, at least I understand the explanation for the second half of your name BoredStiff, I'm still working on the first half. [:-]

Anyway, good thing you are now into computer games, because if she ran into the table and knocked off your counters you might really be mad. [:@]

LOL.....or leaned over in her case !

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.515625E-02