Database Viewer (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare

RedMike -> Database Viewer (9/25/2008 6:28:54 AM)

I don't like the new Database Viewer. I think you should revert back to the old in-game viewer. The new one is nice and all, but it doesn't integrate well with the game when played fullscreen. It dumps you out to the desktop, doesn't load the picture, have to go back to game screen reselect unit, and then it dumps you out to desktop again with maybe a picture maybe not. Who needs all this malarkey. I want to click Database, unit, picture, and see a picture in-game.

out

rsharp@advancedgamin -> RE: Database Viewer (9/25/2008 6:33:17 AM)

Sure, I'll look at this tomorrow as it should be optional now.

rsharp@advancedgamin -> RE: Database Viewer (10/2/2008 6:57:47 PM)

To convert to the old database media viewer you will need to follow these three steps:

1. Use the windows command line to browse to your Harpoon 3 ANW folder. Type the following:
regsvr32 /u HMW.dll

This disables the media viewer. Repeat this step for each install if you have multiple ANW installs.

2. Grab the old pic files.
computerharpoon.com/public/OldHarpoon3PicResFiles.zip

3. Extract the *pic.res files into your Harpoon 3 ANW/Resource/DBPics/ folder.

To enable the new media viewer again, just type the following at the command prompt in your Harpoon 3 ANW folder:
regsvr32 HMW.dll

For directions on using a MS command prompt, use Google.

Thanks,

RedMike -> RE: Database Viewer (10/2/2008 9:40:31 PM)

Setting it up now. I'll let you know the results.

rapope -> RE: Database Viewer (10/27/2008 5:37:27 AM)

Hi,

Thanks for the details on how to switch to the old style viewer. It may not display the photos as large, but it certainly works fast, and doesn't disrupt things when playing in full screen mode.

Regards,

Rocky

incredibletwo -> RE: Database Viewer (2/15/2009 4:22:49 PM)

I have a question regarding the database viewer: is it possible to add photos to it?

Thanks
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

rsharp@advancedgamin -> RE: Database Viewer (2/15/2009 4:30:01 PM)

Yes,

Check out the Resource\DBPics directory. I believe the directory structure explains how to add media but if you need more details just ask. You'll need to know the unique ID of the platform and just drop in your the .png format image in there. Same thing with the supported 3d model formats.

Thanks,

incredibletwo -> RE: Database Viewer (2/15/2009 4:41:47 PM)

How about for platforms that don't yet have a folder in Resource\DBPics directory? If so, how?
Be gentle, I'm new at all this!
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

rsharp@advancedgamin -> RE: Database Viewer (2/15/2009 4:53:34 PM)

Create the directory. Pad the directory name on the left with 0s to make it 3 characters long. For example, LHD-1 with the ID 7 becomes directory

-or-

007 - LHD-1

The viewer will do the rest.

incredibletwo -> RE: Database Viewer (2/15/2009 5:03:26 PM)

Where do I find the ID number? [&:]
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

hermanhum -> Harpoon (2/15/2009 7:16:59 PM)

Every platform entry (Plane, ship, sub) has a datafield for Picture ID number.  You can see it when you use the In-Game database editor.

incredibletwo -> RE: Harpoon (2/16/2009 3:14:32 AM)

Thanks Herman and Russell. Time to add some pics [:)]
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

incredibletwo -> RE: Harpoon (2/16/2009 3:41:39 AM)

Hello...again....[:'(]
OK, so I got into the In-Game Editor, found the ID number and added a photo. The problem I found was there are many platforms using the same number. I started with planes, the first entry being the 1124N Sea Scan (in the PlayersDB). I then went to the next entry, Bison, and saw it had the same number. I went through a few more entries and saw they had the same number as well. I didn't want to go changing anything because then I would have had signature issues. Is there some to to change that ID number without causing any other issues?
Also, how do I frame and resize the images so they look the same as the ones already in the game?

Thanks
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

hermanhum -> Harpoon (2/16/2009 4:17:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: incredibletwo

OK, so I got into the In-Game Editor, found the ID number and added a photo. The problem I found was there are many platforms using the same number. I started with planes, the first entry being the 1124N Sea Scan (in the PlayersDB). I then went to the next entry, Bison, and saw it had the same number. I went through a few more entries and saw they had the same number as well. I didn't want to go changing anything because then I would have had signature issues. Is there some to to change that ID number without causing any other issues?

The planes have the same number for PicID because those planes have no attached image. #94 is a generic "No photo available".

PicID #130 for ships and PicID #54 for subs serve the same default message.

There is no way to change something in the Database without messing up synchronization with the accompanying Signature.bin file. I *think* that the Signature file is created as an amalgam of data from reading the 17 *.dat files. Therefore, if you change something in the *.dat files, the Signature file that was previously generated will not match the current files. That's my hypothesis, anyway. [:)]

incredibletwo -> RE: Harpoon (2/16/2009 12:54:35 PM)

Thanks for that. I guess I'll wait until this signature thing is sorted out i.e. removed. [:)]
I've already started hunting down images for platforms that currently don't have one.
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

incredibletwo -> RE: Harpoon (2/24/2009 5:30:42 PM)

Hi again,
Any word on the database, or the ability to edit entries without synchronisation issues, for 3.10? I'm a detail junkie and itching to get to it... [:)]
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

TonyE -> RE: Harpoon (2/24/2009 6:00:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: incredibletwo

Thanks for that. I guess I'll wait until this signature thing is sorted out i.e. removed. [:)]
I've already started hunting down images for platforms that currently don't have one.
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

How about feeding images to Herman for the real PDB releases instead of making your own offshoot? Then all the signature issues are taken care of in the normal PDB releases.

incredibletwo -> RE: Harpoon (2/25/2009 2:43:47 AM)

[sm=Evil-210.gif]Hi Tony,
Good idea, but "maybe" some of the images are copyrighted. Personal use is ok. Is it OK to give them to Herman?

TonyE -> RE: Harpoon (2/25/2009 3:19:39 AM)

imho distribution of PDB outstrips personal distribution but you can probably go a long ways using copyright free or credited images. just my 2 cents, I'm no copyright lawyer but I tend towards the conservative side, towards not taking chances with copyright.

incredibletwo -> RE: Harpoon (2/25/2009 12:58:25 PM)

Would you class the PDB as commercial?
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

FransKoenz -> RE: Harpoon (2/25/2009 1:15:06 PM)

It has nothing to do with the database.

Harpoon ANW is a commercial product. [sm=00000117.gif]

Groetjes,
Taitennek [sm=happy0005.gif]

incredibletwo -> RE: Harpoon (2/25/2009 3:25:49 PM)

Ah, yeah. Well, if anyone wants some images for their personal use, let me know. I'm only up to "B" in the planes list so far [:)]
[sm=Evil-210.gif]

hermanhum -> Harpoon3 PlayersDB Project (2/26/2009 12:07:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

imho distribution of PDB outstrips personal distribution but you can probably go a long ways using copyright free or credited images. just my 2 cents, I'm no copyright lawyer but I tend towards the conservative side, towards not taking chances with copyright.

There are a few practical considerations regarding the addition of images to the PlayersDB.

Since the PlayersDB is generously hosted on a TonyE's personal server, any copyright concerns by the server owner would have to satisfied.

The PlayersDB uses the same data for its H3 version as it does for ANW. So, I would be hesitant to add new numbers to the PicID scheme as this would require me to maintain a different set of data for the different Databases.

The size of the images is problematic. While most folks enjoy high speed connections, there are still those who have dial-up/modem connections. Downloading and installing 10mB every time the PlayersDB is updated every couple of weeks can take awhile. Having a PlayersDB Library file that is 200mB may be too demanding for some users.

If the signature synchronization requirement is ever repealed, I think it would go far to advancing the use of this feature. Until then, it seems unlikely that your personal set of images will be widely distributed. If you like, I could try to help you set up an Installation system for your set of images so that folks who are interested can install them with one click (the same way the PlayersDB is currently done). It would be separate to the PlayersDB Library installer file, but would be pretty much parallel in operation.

rsharp@advancedgamin -> RE: Harpoon3 PlayersDB Project (2/26/2009 2:01:06 AM)

Currently the media viewer will look for a folder by the Pic ID of the annex entry. If there are png or model files there, it will try to display them. If there are no files there, it will display the NoMedia image.

What I'm considering is the following:
  • Change the in-game image viewer to use the behavior described above. This would be entirely transparent to the user and not affect legacy database setups.
  • Database editors could assign appropriate Pic IDs to every platform whether they have pictures for them or not. Not a small task. Not a large task.
  • Add a feature to dump the Pic ID of annex entries. Something simple like logging the requests (annex type and Pic ID) that found no media in the AALog.
  • Add a NoMedia pcx file to be used by the in-game viewer. This is only required so we are not using an arbitrary PiC ID for the NoMedia image.

The advantage this has is that the user will not have to touch the database at all. They can just drop in media to the appropriate folder and it will come up with the next request. A secondary advantage this would have is that database editors could release media packages separate from their core database release. The only reason these advantages can't be had now is because we are still supporting the in-game viewer by request.

Thanks,

FransKoenz -> RE: Harpoon3 PlayersDB Project (2/26/2009 2:06:32 AM)

Herman,

I think you mix up things.

Incredibletwo question was about the copyright issue.

Harpoon is a commercial game and has to deal with copy-right issues.
The PDB is a part of a commercial product. It might be set up for the players and by the players and even on a non-profit base, but it is still part of a commercial product.

You even may not put in pictures of the US Navy without their permission in the PDB's photo-db. Their images are public domain as long they are not used for a commercial product

Par example: If I would take a picture of the Hr Ms Zeven ProvinciŽn with my own camera, you wouldn't get permission to put this picture in the PDB. Not because I would not allow you to use my photograph for the PDB , no, because I would not allow AGSI to use the picture for their commercial product.[:-] [:D]

Greetz,
Taitennek

hermanhum -> Harpoon3 PlayersDB Project (2/26/2009 3:59:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

What I'm considering is the following:
  • Change the in-game image viewer to use the behavior described above. This would be entirely transparent to the user and not affect legacy database setups.
  • Database editors could assign appropriate Pic IDs to every platform whether they have pictures for them or not. Not a small task. Not a large task.
  • Add a feature to dump the Pic ID of annex entries. Something simple like logging the requests (annex type and Pic ID) that found no media in the AALog.
  • Add a NoMedia pcx file to be used by the in-game viewer. This is only required so we are not using an arbitrary PiC ID for the NoMedia image.

I think that this discussion falls squarely under the title of, "Problems that do not require a programming solution."

All the tools necessary to implement user-images are already on hand and only a little coordination between the image collector and database editor is needed in this case. Once (if) the Reimer editor is ever released, every game owner can do his own export/database viewing to find/assign PicID numbers.

kipallen -> RE: Harpoon3 PlayersDB Project (2/27/2009 4:41:20 AM)

Guys, I'm not a lawyer, but did work in media for more than 35 years and dealt a lot with copyright matters. Rule of thumb--if it's copyrighted, you can't use it without permission, whether for commercial purposes or not.

noxious -> RE: Harpoon3 PlayersDB Project (3/2/2009 4:30:56 PM)

Please don't spread falsehoods : media is in the public domain or it's not, the word has precise legal meaning, it's very black and white : public domain means no copyright (or copyleft), no restrictions on usage. Period.
That's the definition and why the term was created, to qualify an authored work whose copyrights have lapsed into the public domain.
Any picture (or anything else) that is in the public domain, has no restrictions on its usage, and can't have any by definition.

All US government agencies photos which are labelled as public domain, are completely free of any such restrictions as you mention : if it says public domain, you're fine to use it in commercial products.
If you can't, it's not public domain (by definition)

It cannot be in the public domain under certain conditions, like commercial products and not in others.
A song is either public domain, or not. Otherwise, it's called something else.
Now, different laws or copyright status (which public domain is in fact a lack of, no protection) in different countries might mean than an image in the public domain in the US, might be copyrighted in Europe.
For Harpoon ANW, this does not matter, since the commercial product is US based.

As such, any public domain military photo is usable in ANW. Period.

If it has restrictions attached to it, it's NOT public domain.

Now, in all cases, wherever the image is from : keep a record of where you found it, and a copy of the licensing terms, and keep it alongside the picture.
If someone was to litigate (and that can always happen), you could prove the source, terms, and thus your good faith.

If one is not ready to do this, one should not involve oneself with building collections of media, or software, or any other product for public distribution and consumption.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taitennek

Herman,

I think you mix up things.

Incredibletwo question was about the copyright issue.

Harpoon is a commercial game and has to deal with copy-right issues.
The PDB is a part of a commercial product. It might be set up for the players and by the players and even on a non-profit base, but it is still part of a commercial product.

You even may not put in pictures of the US Navy without their permission in the PDB's photo-db. Their images are public domain as long they are not used for a commercial product

Par example: If I would take a picture of the Hr Ms Zeven ProvinciŽn with my own camera, you wouldn't get permission to put this picture in the PDB. Not because I would not allow you to use my photograph for the PDB , no, because I would not allow AGSI to use the picture for their commercial product.[:-] [:D]

Greetz,
Taitennek

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI