Computer Advice Needed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Valkyrie -> Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 9:52:28 PM)

I'm being lazy and thought I'd tap into the great expertise that I've seen displayed here.

Just finished a new computer build:

Mobo - MSI K9A2 PLATINUM 790FX AM2+ RTL
Graphics Card - SAPPHIRE 100242L HD4850 512M RT
CPU - AMD|PHENOM 9850
MEM CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
HD 750G|WD 7K 16M SATA2
HD 300G|WD 10K 16M SATA2 "Velociraptor"
DVD - PIONEER|DVR-215DBK SATA %
Monitor - ACER|LCD 22" 5MS DVI
CASE - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply - ZALMAN ZM750-HP Continuous 750W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 Modular LED Heatpipe-Cooled SLI Power Supply -

OK, here's my quick query: I turn the new rig on and NOTHING. No fans, no drive spinup, no POST, no error beeps. The only sign of life is an LED on the motherboard glowing amber. THe MSI documentation doesn't mention this at all, so I don't know if it's some kind of error warning or what.

Now I've built a dozen or so PC's in my lifetime, so I'm not a novice at this, but it's the first time I've ever had a totally dead system. If I was getting any kind of post error I could start ruling out memory problems, drive problems, bad graphics card etc, but with a totally dead unit all I can see is that (1) the Power Supply is bad and needs to be returned (but I don't understand that LED lit on the mobo) or (2) could this be a defective motherboard?

Any opinions? Any other suggestions? My last build was an AMD Athlon 2400+ with an ATI 9700 AIW, so I'm not as up to date as I might be on the current state of computer technology. I also really don't have any extra parts laying about that I cna swap out to troubleshoot. My current computer is the wrong socket, the ATI card won't fit the new mobo, and my old Powersupply MIGHT drive the system if I swap that out (it's an Austin 550 watt PS). Obviously, I don't want to tear both computers apart to move that Powersupply if we can narrow my problem down to Powersupply at the "get go".

What do you think guys?

Your advice would be appreciated! [:)]

madgamer2 -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 10:20:39 PM)

If the fans are not coming on its would seem to point to the PS. I assume you have rechecked every connection? If the Power LED lights up amber something is amiss. With most new computer stuff like my ViewSonic 2025wm monitor the three states are Off-no light,green power is on, and amber means no signal. It would seem to me that indicates that nothing is being powered up. You might try the customer support at your PS manf. and your MOBO Manf.
Its very strange that a PS would be totally dead out of the box, or for that matter a MOBO as well. The only other thing of note is your video card is 512MB. In a short time this will not be enough to play some of the new games. I have 2 7950 TKO eVGA cards in my SLI Asus and replacing them will have to happen within a couple of years. It is costly as I have a total water cooled Danger Den setup with jacket coolers for the memory & GPU on both cards. New cards=new jacket coolers (SIGH) good luck and if you don't solve the problem try one of the computer news groups. I used to and they have some good folks who will help.

Madgamer

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 10:22:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valkyrie

I'm being lazy and thought I'd tap into the great expertise that I've seen displayed here.

CPU - AMD|PHENOM 9850
MEM CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
HD 750G|WD 7K 16M SATA2
Power Supply - ZALMAN ZM750-HP Continuous 750W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 Modular LED Heatpipe-Cooled SLI Power Supply -

OK, here's my quick query: I turn the new rig on and NOTHING. No fans, no drive spinup, no POST, no error beeps. The only sign of life is an LED on the motherboard glowing amber. THe MSI documentation doesn't mention this at all, so I don't know if it's some kind of error warning or what.

Now I've built a dozen or so PC's in my lifetime, so I'm not a novice at this, but it's the first time I've ever had a totally dead system. If I was getting any kind of post error I could start ruling out memory problems, drive problems, bad graphics card etc, but with a totally dead unit all I can see is that (1) the Power Supply is bad and needs to be returned (but I don't understand that LED lit on the mobo) or (2) could this be a defective motherboard?

Any opinions? Any other suggestions? My last build was an AMD Athlon 2400+ with an ATI 9700 AIW, so I'm not as up to date as I might be on the current state of computer technology. I also really don't have any extra parts laying about that I cna swap out to troubleshoot. My current computer is the wrong socket, the ATI card won't fit the new mobo, and my old Powersupply MIGHT drive the system if I swap that out (it's an Austin 550 watt PS). Obviously, I don't want to tear both computers apart to move that Powersupply if we can narrow my problem down to Powersupply at the "get go".

What do you think guys?

Did you remove the motherboard from the case and try starting it up with just the PSU/memory/video/CPU installed?

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

JudgeDredd -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 10:27:18 PM)

Not to teach you to suck eggs...but Motherboards come with a 20 pin power connecter and an additional 4 pin (or is it 6) connector...both must be plugged into the motherboard

leastonh1 -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 10:29:25 PM)

The amber light could be a red herring. It's a standard feature as a power indicator on most new(ish) motherboards. Afaik, it's amber when the psu is plugged in but not switched on, then turns green when you power up the mobo.

I'd be thinking power supply as the primary culprit here, with mobo as a possible second choice. If it were ram, then you'd get to post in BIOS and at least fans on, with a BIOS error on screen. Same with gfx, nic, sound etc. Maybe it's one of the 12volt rails that's failed on the psu, especially as its modular? That would account for the light on the mobo, but nothing else coming on.

The only way to tell for sure is to swap the psu out for another to test it.

Jim

GaryChildress -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 10:39:58 PM)

Hi Valkyrie, I just built my first home built system a few weeks ago. I had a lot of help from people on these forums. They seem to know a lot as well. You might give it a try posing your question here also.

http://forum.pcmech.com/

You'll have to join I think to post but membership is free.

Valkyrie -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 11:33:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Not to teach you to suck eggs...but Motherboards come with a 20 pin power connecter and an additional 4 pin (or is it 6) connector...both must be plugged into the motherboard

Wish it was that simple... but no, 24 pins into the motherboard PLUS the 4 pin CPU. Power supply has two dedicated cables to power the Graphics Card. MSI's troubleshooting guide says to pull the mobo out and try to power it up outside the case on a "non-conductive surface" to rule out short circuits. I guess I'll try that next, but what a pain to tear everything apart [:(]

I have usually built with a full size tower with plenty of room, but this case is a mid-size and with four drives, four fans, the graphics card, plus the two separate mobo power cables and all the front panel connections, it is really tough to get into things. Oh yea, and the Corsair memory has this cooling fan rigged on to of the DIMMS so that is sticking up as high as the CPU cooler! The MSI board is laid out really tight too with a cooler on the graphics chip plus heat pipes and radiators.

Actually, I think the whole cooling thing is getting out of hand... time to eliminate all the fans and just have a tiny refrigerator externally that is pumping 40 degree cold air into the case. [:D] Just think, it would not only cool your computer but would house an assortment of cold drinks for easy access! [:D]

Valkyrie -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 11:36:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Hi Valkyrie, I just built my first home built system a few weeks ago. I had a lot of help from people on these forums. They seem to know a lot as well. You might give it a try posing your question here also.

I'm afraid that will be the next step, along with pulling the motherboard out and trying to run it outside the case with only the Mobo, CPU, and graphic card powered up.

MSI had a couple of other possible solutions involving the CMOS, but that wasn't it.

Argh!

Valkyrie -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 11:38:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valkyrie

CPU - AMD|PHENOM 9850
HD 750G|WD 7K 16M SATA2

What do you think guys?

Did you remove the motherboard from the case and try starting it up with just the PSU/memory/video/CPU installed?

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Going to try that next!

Valkyrie -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/9/2008 11:55:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

They reinforce the suggestion to pull everything out of the case and try to start with the mobo, memory, and graphics card enabled. Also a new suggeston to short out the SW switch connector.

I'll let you all know what happens! Thanks for the support! [&o]

Gem35 -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/10/2008 12:00:25 AM)

Have you cleared your CMOS and removed the battery for several minutes?
If not that then I would say your PSU is dead, I have had amber light on and used a second PSU and all was well.
You could try using your 550w and only install a cpu one stick of ram and see if you get any signs of life.
Use a large piece of cardboard layed flat on a table to do your troubleshooting so you don't risk a short or worse.
Good Luck.

Valkyrie -> RE: Computer Advice Needed (7/10/2008 12:05:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Have you cleared your CMOS and removed the battery for several minutes?
If not that then I would say your PSU is dead, I have had amber light on and used a second PSU and all was well.
You could try using your 550w and only install a cpu one stick of ram and see if you get any signs of life.
Use a large piece of cardboard layed flat on a table to do your troubleshooting so you don't risk a short or worse.
Good Luck.

That's good feedback about your amber LED.

Well, I'm off to tear stuff apart! [;)]

Valkyrie -> Yahoo! (7/10/2008 5:08:50 AM)

OK, I pulled everything apart, got it assembled on the table and cleared the CMOS with the jumper... BINGO... it fired up like a charm!

Now to get it all packed back into the case again!

Thanks for the support everybody... I was really feeling depressed over this!

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

Valkyrie -> Windows XP64 Professional Installed (7/10/2008 12:01:48 PM)

All done and up and running, though dealing with minor problems with the XP 64 O/S, not the least of which is no XP 64 utilities on my MSI mobo CD! But, their website does have XP 64 drivers and I'm downloading them now on my old computer since I haven't gotten the wireless network connection sorted out yet (it says I'm connected, but Explorer won't access any sites). Hopefully, the new drivers and utilities will remedy that.

On the BIG PLUS side... the first game I installed was the original (unpatched) Battle of Britain II and it runs beautifully at the highest settings when it was a total dog on my old system. I hope I am as fortunate with future installs since I feared the worse after all the negatives on XP64.

If anyone is interested I'll post a report on what runs and what doesn't.

Gem35 -> RE: Windows XP64 Professional Installed (7/11/2008 12:04:40 AM)

Great news, glad you had good results.[:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.929688E-02