HQ Damage (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

John 3rd -> HQ Damage (4/8/2008 1:08:53 AM)

I have noticed an issue in holding Rangoon from my opponent Dan Roper regarding HQ Units. Since his seige began about 6 weeks ago (gametime), I have watched my HQ units lose strength almost everyday. I have two Army HQ, an Area Army HQ, and 3 Air HQ between Rangoon and Moulmein. As stated, regardless of whether Dan launches a Deliberate Attack or a Shock Attack, the strength of these units drops every day.

To counter this, I have taken to rotating these units between Rangoon (under seige) and Moulmein (free) over the last couple of weeks. The problem is that rebuilding any unit takes a lot of time.

There have been few--if any--air strikes hitting Rangoon since I control the air and no Naval Bombardments. The cities are well supplied and Forts are rising. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding why this is happening?

rtrapasso -> RE: HQ Damage (4/8/2008 1:12:16 AM)

The HQ units seem to take damage preferentially over combat units... this has the effect of preserving the AV of the whole hex, but the HQ takes it on the chin... this necessitates the (slow) rebuilding of the units (as you have noted).

engineer -> RE: HQ Damage (4/8/2008 3:06:59 AM)

I've seen the same thing and ditto rtrapasso's advice. Also it may be that the HQ's are soaking up some of the malaria damage for units outside of the Rangoon hex but within the command radius. 

tabpub -> RE: HQ Damage (4/8/2008 12:47:57 PM)

HQ's, being REMF's, suffer from bombardment effects and are ground to dust under perpetual artillery attack.

John 3rd -> RE: HQ Damage (4/9/2008 12:51:52 AM)

Since that is about all that has been happening in Rangoon, then that makes a lot of sense.  I normally don't bother to look at HQ units and am really glad that I did!

Feltan -> RE: HQ Damage (4/9/2008 5:12:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tabpub
HQ's, being REMF's, suffer from bombardment effects and are ground to dust under perpetual artillery attack.

HQ's, being REMF's, are deserting and setting up shop in Rangoon's cat houses!

Regards,
Feltan

Feinder -> RE: HQ Damage (4/9/2008 6:24:16 AM)

Well, also pay attention to the support squads in your combat units as well.  While your formal HQ units will absorb most of the support casualties, the support squads of LCUs will also become dimished (albeit at a slower rate).

What eventually happens is you end up with a support deficit.  While support - squad doesn't have to be exactly 1:1, if you're 20% short on support squads, you'll defend at about a 15% penalty.  So if you've got 100 squads and only 85 support (because they keep getting killed), you'll defend with about 88 or so base AV (plus the host of other modifiers).

-F-

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI