RE: New Stuff (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (3/23/2008 1:00:08 AM)

FN,

I appreciate your thoughts on mech/mot infantry. We have given consideration to something very similar. Either way an event has to be created to handle this and moreover AI has to be developed to determine when, where and why units should marry up and then divorce. This is a BIG job and one we'll most likely have to leave till after BFTB. But is high on our wish list.

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (3/25/2008 12:35:19 PM)

I completed the first stage of enhancing the Order of Battle ( OB ) display by adding in the ability to display reinforcements and destroyed units as well as those on-map for the "organic" force structure. I have also aprovided controls to filter the display according to force status ( either on-map, reinforcement or destroyed ).

Tomorrow I hope to tackle the more difficult task of adding the ability to display the player "plan" and "current" force structures. So stay tuned.

[image]local://upfiles/8882/87311D76A56646AEB4022A130DBFB76A.jpg[/image]

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (3/25/2008 12:47:49 PM)

And here's a shot with on-map and reinforcement units filtered out - ie only showing destroyed units.

[image]local://upfiles/8882/D50F726471864BC494B4662FF21C962A.jpg[/image]

Howard7x -> RE: New Stuff (3/25/2008 1:08:25 PM)

Another nice little addition to the engine, should make things easier to see from this view!

BigDuke66 -> RE: New Stuff (3/27/2008 12:15:33 AM)

I was just thinking about massive artillery fire.

Could artillery fire or heavy fighting change the ground?
Artillery fire could provide holes in the open or transform a city into rubble.

Could that be implemented?

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (3/27/2008 1:53:45 AM)

Yes it could but such a change will have to wait till we have overhauled the map classes. At the moment we are maxed out due to the data size originally used. We would like to change this in the future but it is a HUGE job. So not for BFTB, I'm afraid.

BigDuke66 -> RE: New Stuff (3/27/2008 5:16:27 AM)

Good to hear it's on the list for the next title.

Deathtreader -> RE: New Stuff (3/28/2008 4:25:11 AM)

Hi all,

"Displaying the player plan"........... would that be something along the lines of "select all" for purposes of plotted movement/destination etc. for all player forces?? Would it include stuff like on demand estimates for how long a unit or force might take to get to the proposed destination?? I know today the system will give you an est. completion for the task but that's only after you issue the order and the various staffs have had a chance to mull things over. Even a ballpark est. would be useful when considering orders options whilst planning your next moves.

Rob. [:)]

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (3/28/2008 5:01:47 AM)

No the options to show the Player PLan force structure, simply update the OB display with the force structure the player has given orders to. As to estimates of time. The best we could do would be to provide an estimate with the pathing tool. I'm not sure how difficult that will be. I'll look into it.

TT3520 - UI - Pathing Tools - Add Time Estimate and Path length

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (4/4/2008 2:54:14 AM)

OK I looked into it and here's how the new estimated route duration feature looks.

[image]local://upfiles/8882/0A5C56F0CDDE47E383913C24F3C43FD2.jpg[/image]

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (4/4/2008 2:54:46 AM)

TT3520 - UI - Pathing Tools - Add Time Estimate and Path length

Ready for Test

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (4/4/2008 2:56:04 AM)

Note that this estimated duration is for movement along the route only. It doesn't factor in orders delay or actions along the route when enemy are encoundered. In other words it is an estimate only.

FredSanford3 -> RE: New Stuff (4/4/2008 4:34:43 AM)

Looks good. I bet it gives some crazy durations if you hit the "SF" button on a long march.

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (4/4/2008 7:07:01 AM)

Well let's just say they can be big. [:)]

Deathtreader -> RE: New Stuff (4/4/2008 3:39:44 PM)

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!! I think that is the 1st suggestion of mine that's actually made the cut.... [sm=00000436.gif]

Rob.

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (4/5/2008 2:29:36 AM)

Rob,

Keep making good ones then. [;)]

Count Sessine -> RE: New Stuff (4/5/2008 2:28:48 PM)

This last feature was right at the top of my wishlist too! This is shaping up to be a damn fine game, again!

Howard Mitchell -> RE: New Stuff (4/6/2008 12:08:08 PM)

I tend to lurk here rather than post, but this game is starting to look very good (I'm a sucker for screenshots). Fine work Arjuna & co!

Deathtreader -> RE: New Stuff (4/11/2008 12:56:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

Rob,

Keep making good ones then. [;)]

So......... did the one below make it??

"Good one, especially for BFTB once the skies clear.

TT2958 - AI - UI - Airstrikes - Factor in fires from nearby flak units -> impact point and abort probability "

Rob. [:)]

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (4/11/2008 3:24:22 AM)

No and not likely at this stage. I'm desperately trying to close off the books, development wise. We need to do so to make an Origins release.

However, that would be a good inclusion for the subsequent title. More on that later.

FredSanford3 -> RE: New Stuff (4/11/2008 5:48:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

No and not likely at this stage. I'm desperately trying to close off the books, development wise. We need to do so to make an Origins release.

However, that would be a good inclusion for the subsequent title. More on that later.

Is this to say BftB's release is targeted for prior to the June 25th, 2008 start of said Origins convention? [X(][:D][;)]

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (4/11/2008 11:32:28 AM)

It's not June 25th is it? I thought it was always on the July 4 long weekend.

James Sterrett -> RE: New Stuff (4/11/2008 3:26:54 PM)

It is June 25 - June 29 this year!

James Sterrett -> RE: New Stuff (4/11/2008 9:13:14 PM)

Assuming some Panther-related spamming is in order:

If you'll be at Origins, consider coming to any of the following War College events (Panther stuff listed first...)

Battles From The Bulge: (Starts Saturday at 1500, War College Room 3, runs for 4 hours)

A short introduction on the use of computer simulations for training at the U.S. Army Command & General Staff College will be followed by an extended hands-on demonstration exercise using Matrix Games' _Battles From The Bulge_. Seminar participants will take key command and staff roles, planning and executing brigade and division operations. Come experience the teamwork real military units need to achieve victory!

Conquest of the Aegean: (Starts Friday at 1400, War College Room 3, runs for 4 hours)

A short introduction on the use of computer simulations for training at the U.S. Army Command & General Staff College will be followed by an extended hands-on demonstration exercise using Matrix Games' _Conquest of the Aegean_. Seminar participants will take key command and staff roles, planning and executing brigade and division operations. Come experience the teamwork real military units need to achieve victory!

Also...

Flashpoint: Germany (Starts Friday at 0900, War College Room 3, runs for 4 hours)

A short introduction on the use of computer simulations for training at the U.S. Army Command & General Staff College will be followed by an extended hands-on demonstration exercise using Matrix Games' _Flashpoint: Germany_. Seminar participants will take key command and staff roles, planning and executing battalion and brigade operations. Come experience the teamwork real military units need to achieve victory!

Close Combat: Modern Tactics (Starts Saturday at 0900 and 1100, War College Room 3, runs for 2 hours each time)

A short introduction on the use of computer simulations for training at the U.S. Army Command & General Staff College will be followed by an extended hands-on demonstration exercise using Matrix Games' _Close Combat: Modern Tactics_. Seminar participants will take on key command and staff roles, planning and executing company and platoon operations. Come experience the teamwork real military units need to achieve victory!

And if that isn't enough....

Thu 1100 Weuve - Wargaming at the Naval War College

Chris Weuve is an Assistant Professor of Wargaming at the Naval War College.

Thu 1200 Guillory - Civilians on the Hexagonal Battlefield

Brant's got a definite interest in including the softer factors in his boardgame designs.

Thu 1300 Sterrett - COTS for Training at CGSC

James Sterrett, a simulations instructor at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, will speak about how CGSC uses commercial games for training, and what it looks for when evaluating products for potential use. Last year's talk focused on ease of use; this year's talk will focus on multiplayer and collaboration.

Thu 1400 Panel (Weuve/Guillory/Sterrett/Caffrey) Training with Games
Thu 1500 Panel - Training with Games continued

Games in Military Education and Training: This roundtable discussion provides viewpoints on games and the military from multiple services and backgrounds, on topics ranging from reasons and methods for using games in education and training to specific case examples and areas games perform well or badly.
Audience participation is highly encouraged.

Panelists: Mr. Matthew Caffrey (Col., USAF, Ret), Air Force Research Laboratory - Wargaming; Dr. James Sterrett, Simulations Instructor, U.S. Army Command & General Staff College (Northrop Grumman); Mr. Christopher Weuve, Assistant Professor of Wargaming, U. S. Naval War College. Moderator: Mr. Brant Guillory, (Dr.-cand. OSU), BayonetGames.

James Sterrett -> RE: New Stuff (4/11/2008 9:14:27 PM)

Note that the above blurb, for BFTB, claims it's a sneak peek:  this is a CYA to ensure the Origins program doesn't claim it will be released and then it isn't.  I know Dave's aiming for a Origins release...  the text lets that be a happy surprise.  [:)]

Renato -> RE: New Stuff (4/12/2008 1:49:29 PM)

I see there are many new features that I greatly appreciate.

I wonder whether there will be even the new continuous column move order (as opposed to the standard alternate tactical one already present) which was talked about some time ago.

I think it would be a welcome improvement.

Arjuna -> RE: New Stuff (4/13/2008 4:48:50 AM)

Renato,

Yes I did want to include that one - in fact I was just thinking about this feature yesterday. Alas, we've run out of time for BFTB - no time for any more new features. Let's see if we can address it in the next title after BFTB.

Deathtreader -> RE: New Stuff (4/21/2008 1:39:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Renato

I see there are many new features that I greatly appreciate.

I wonder whether there will be even the new continuous column move order (as opposed to the standard alternate tactical one already present) which was talked about some time ago.

I think it would be a welcome improvement.

Doesn't today's move in column order @ minimum aggression cover this?? [&:]

Rob.

Renato -> RE: New Stuff (4/21/2008 2:12:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

Doesn't today's move in column order @ minimum aggression cover this?? [&:]

I often use the move order with column formation, at the fastest speed, the quickest route, the minimum aggression; however, when there are one or more enemy units in the proximity (even if they are not very close), the movement goes on in alternate mode, where some units deploy (changing the formation) to protect the others while they advance.

This is, of course, a sound tactical procedure, but results in a slowed down movement.

While I'm generally a cautious player, sometimes I would like to speed the movement up. Or maybe I am merely too pampered. [:)]

hank -> RE: New Stuff (4/21/2008 7:40:33 PM)

I appears BftB is nearing completion.  I've looked at many but not all the sceen shots.  I haven't seen a shot of the E&S tab (aka equipment) to show what the images look like and I would also like to see what the estab images look like also.  I'm been patiently awaiting this for many many moons.

Can we get a couple of screen shots of these?  [&o]

begging

Hank

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI