your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

morvwilson -> your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/9/2008 10:55:21 PM)

I have replaced the hard drive on my HP Pavilion desk top, and it still keeps crashing.
I think it may be time for a replacement.
Suggestions?

ravinhood -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/10/2008 3:05:34 AM)

Did you replace your IDE cables as well?

Veldor -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/10/2008 3:40:06 AM)

Could be overheating or something like that. You'd need to provide a few more details. What type of error do you actually get and when? A lot of systems need the dust blown out of the heatsink/fan over the CPU and things like that or they will burn up. Sometimes in a way that cant be fixed (Similarly most video cards with the little built in fans will eventually have the fan fail and the card will burn up).

ravinhood -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/10/2008 4:16:58 AM)

Yeah Pony video cards are like that. I'll never buy another Pony product again. Damn fans burn out too quickly. I clean my CPU heatsink about every 6 months and put some more of that gray goop on the processor to keep the heat down. Too bad I don't get the mileage out of computer products like I do my CARS ;)

lancerunolfsson -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/10/2008 4:17:09 AM)

I had a string of weird hard drive problems. That were fixed by replacing the power supply! OTH I tend to stick a lot of Hard drives in computers so can wind up under powered.

morvwilson -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/10/2008 7:18:15 AM)

What's been happening is I keep getting stop errors and windows then shuts down.
After starting again it says that the stop error was generated by one of my device drivers but does not say which ones.
I run a stock machine here, no bells or whistles added. So, I have a hard time believing it is a device driver issue.

Veldor -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/10/2008 7:24:01 AM)

There should be an error code with the stop error that will tell the cause...

JudgeDredd -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/10/2008 10:45:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvwilson

I have replaced the hard drive on my HP Pavilion desk top, and it still keeps crashing.
I think it may be time for a replacement.
Suggestions?

So I presume by this you mean it was crashing before?
Was it the same error as you are getting now?
Do you get to the Windows desktop?
Can you just leave it and it crashes?
How long is it running before it crashes?
Does it only crash when you are specifically doing something? Working with a specific application or game?

As for suggestions....don't get an HP. If you have the noggin, build your own. If you don't, find someone who does and get them to help buy the parts (good parts) and build it.

If you can't do any of that, unlucky....you're stuck with prebuilt, which I detest. there are good ones, but I've stayed away from the prebuilt market for so long, I wouldn't have a clue which ones to buy now.

freeboy -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/10/2008 1:51:01 PM)

perhaps take the ? to www.techpowerup.com

morvwilson -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/10/2008 10:37:24 PM)

What is happening is an stop error code 0xc0000005. Microsoft does not have a fix for it that works. I am thinking it is an intermittent hardware problem.

The first hard drive became unreadible, so I am sure replacing that was needed.

Veldor -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/11/2008 2:23:47 AM)

Post the full code, thats only part of it (The first section im assuming).

In any case update your motherboards bios (They can have trouble with newer drives without bios updates). Also since bad memory can cause that take out as much of the memory as you can. If the problem repeats take out the rest and put back in what you took out. If problem repeats its not the memory.

diddlygrl -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/11/2008 8:21:10 AM)

All the above is good advice, but one of the most basic steps to try is updating the drivers for the sound and video card. Also, did you add anything new to the system after you replaced the hard drive? Many times a conflict can arise and cause these sort of problems.

morvwilson -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/12/2008 10:03:28 AM)

Thanks for the advise guys, I learned a lot and it was a BIG help!
Turned out to be a bad ram card.
Thanks again!
[sm=00000028.gif]

JudgeDredd -> RE: your advise if you please, gentlepeoples! (1/12/2008 10:26:21 AM)

Nice one

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI