Operating systems (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

jshan -> Operating systems (12/11/2007 4:21:25 AM)

Hi-

I am no computer systems expert, but will AE rrun under XP, Vista, Unix, or MAC with Intel chips?

Sorry if I missed this issue being dealt with elsewhere. but the avalanche of posts is amazing. I will support this awesome game without question. My thanks to Matrix, Gary and the crew.

Right now, I'd prefer a new WIR to WITP2. Not sure about WITM.

Terminus -> RE: Operating systems (12/11/2007 10:53:17 AM)

AE will run under the same OS's as regular WitP.

jshan -> RE: Operating systems (12/12/2007 4:17:16 AM)

Have people got it running under Vista?

Have people got it running under Unix?

Have people got it running on a MAC with Intel chips??

Gem35 -> RE: Operating systems (12/12/2007 4:19:28 AM)

I don't have Vista but I am sure it will run with that OS.
Having XP, there really is no reason to switch to Vista just yet.
As for Mac, I really doubt it will work with that OS as it is not supported under the OS listings.

wworld7 -> RE: Operating systems (12/12/2007 7:46:35 AM)

Vista for sure.

UNIX...lol

MACs...probably

Iridium -> RE: Operating systems (12/12/2007 8:17:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

MACs...probably

It's funny because the intel MACs are actually able to launch XP at the least so even if their Cheetah X10 or whatever they're calling the latest OS doesn't support it. You could always boot up under windows.

Nomad -> RE: Operating systems (12/12/2007 8:40:36 PM)

I haven't tried it, but Linux with wine would probably run it.

Terminus -> RE: Operating systems (12/12/2007 9:07:32 PM)

Think I heard somebody had been experimenting with it... Not sure if anything ever came of it.

Emilio -> RE: Operating systems (12/13/2007 1:29:21 AM)

Hello,

Actually I own a Mac and playing WITP (and many others Matrix Games).

There are 2 choices:

- Install Windows XP SP2 or Vista in a separate partition using for that the BootCamp application (it is a free application provided for Apple for MAC OS X 10.4 Tiger and already included in the newest 10.5 Leopard.
- Use a third party application for installing a Windows Virtual Machine. This is my preferred choice, since I don't need to switch between MAC OS X and Windows. Windows VM runs smoothly and even faster than installed in a partition. I use Parallel Desktop software for managing the VM.

Of course you need an Intel Mac. Mine is a MacBook, with 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo processor, 2 GB of RAM and 80 GB hard disk.

Now supported games for my configuration:
- Korsun Pocket (and Across the Dnepr expansion). Works fine.
- Battles in Italy. Works fine.
- Harpoon III ANW. Works fine.
- Flashpoint Germany. Works fine.
- Crown of Glory. Works fine.
- Highway to the Reich. Works fine.
- Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm. I cannot play since the video requirements are not matched for my MacBook (it only has 64 MB of shared memory). It works fine with an iMac or MacBook Pro.
- War in the Pacific. Works fine.

All those games are updated up to the latest version. Even for WITP I'm currently playing a PBEM game against Rybeck, using the CHS 2.08 modpack.

So, I it has answered your question, don't be afraid to play Matrix Games in a Mac.

Emilio.

Mangotree -> RE: Operating systems (12/13/2007 2:23:45 AM)

Yes will run perfectly under vista, and service pack rc .

IAm running with 2.4dc 2 gig ram 8800 vc 640 mb
24" widescreen runs perfect.

Also running xp with witp  never a problem

jshan -> RE: Operating systems (12/13/2007 3:54:12 AM)

Thanks everyone. I now know that I have options in my new computer search.

Fishbed -> RE: Operating systems (12/13/2007 4:35:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mangotree

Yes will run perfectly under vista, and service pack rc .

IAm running with 2.4dc 2 gig ram 8800 vc 640 mb
24" widescreen runs perfect.

Also running xp with witp never a problem

Wow MAN!
You tried out the SP's RC? You've got some guts...
How is it so far? Somewhat... unchanged?

Mangotree -> RE: Operating systems (12/13/2007 4:52:50 AM)

Hi fishbed

well I downloaded few days ago sp1 rc for vista..
I havent had any problems so far....
Although I must be lucky with vista ....it runs perfect
only when I built my system when I added a sata drive it wouldnt find it but that was solved. For me crysis, Silent hunter 4 etc.. and Witp run and look great

Fishbed -> RE: Operating systems (12/13/2007 4:57:53 AM)

Thanks!
Well do you have 2 or 4 Gigs of RAM? Just wondered if you found it to be somewhat faster.

Good news for your HDD issues - my vista seems to have issues with the RAID configurations - I hope they solved that too...

Mangotree -> RE: Operating systems (12/13/2007 5:05:02 AM)

I have 2 gigs of g neil ram.
I was thinking of going 4 but vista 32 bit does not use all of the 4gigs can be anywhere from 2.5 to 3.8 gigs according to other sites I have read.
I ll wait till I really need it
I play everygame out there and never had a slowdown due to 2 gigs of memory.
But the video card i have 640mb I would recommend higher if your into crysis or flight sims  ...

jcjordan -> RE: Operating systems (12/14/2007 6:07:39 AM)

My laptop is a 1.73ghz with 1gb memory max of 2gb, how well will AE run? I've played WITP on my desktop occasionally w/ W98 & 512mb memory & was fine but a little slow in the AI parts of the turn processing.

Grotius -> RE: Operating systems (12/14/2007 11:07:30 PM)

WITP runs fine under Vista 64 for me.

Reg -> RE: Operating systems (12/15/2007 12:31:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Have a look at this thread

WiTP on Linux

WITP can be run on a Unix/Linux box under a variety of freeware and commercial Virtual Machines (VM) with varying amounts of success but you still need a copy of Windows to do it. It just saves you having to have a dedicated Windows partition (and gives you a use for that obsolete Win98 disk you still have lying around...)

WINE would definitely be the way to go as you don't need a copy of Windows.

However, as usual DirectX is the fly in the ointment. I tried it a couple of years ago but at that time WINE just couldn't handle DirectX. (Heck, not a few people as well as myself had enough trouble getting UV to run properly on a Windows box due to DirectX/video driver issues...)

Maybe now WINE has improved enough to handle WITP but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Any volunteers???

Andrew Brown -> RE: Operating systems (12/15/2007 12:41:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

Have a look at this thread

WiTP on Linux

WINE would definitely be the way to go as without it you still need a copy of Windows.

However, as usual DirectX is the fly in the ointment. I tried it a couple of years ago but at that time WINE just couldn't handle DirectX. (Heck, not a few people as well as myself had enough trouble getting UV to run properly on a Windows box due to DirectX/video driver issues...)

Maybe now WINE has improved enough to handle WITP but I haven't heard of anyone doing it. Any volunteers???

Hi Reg,

The last time I tried to run WitP using Wine it didn't work. That was a while ago but I doubt that it is any better now. I now run WitP using VMware (on Linux) which works fine.

Andrew

Captain Cruft -> RE: Operating systems (12/15/2007 2:30:10 AM)

I agree, if possible O/S virtualisation software is the way to go for Linux fans rather than any form of emulation. That way ALL games and whatever other essential Windows software can be run regardless. It probably helps to have a hefty PC though.

Reg -> RE: Operating systems (12/15/2007 5:32:21 AM)

Wine works just great for non-DirectX games (see Steel Panthers in a window on a Linux desktop below).

[image]local://upfiles/446/946DE847B1CA44079478A07FE0600906.gif[/image]

Reg -> RE: Operating systems (12/15/2007 5:41:37 AM)

If you want a lean mean Operating System inside your VM you might be interested in XPlite and 2000lite or 98lite from LitePC Technologies

This is what they promise;

quote:

98lite!

98lite is our unique system utility to customize and tweak Windows9x for performance and embedded computers. Free demo available!

Use 98lite to surgically add and remove Windows features, speed up your desktop and boot times and totally remove technology you dont want or need.

98lite is great for running Windows under emulation on linux or macs. The penguin has never run windows so fast.

Emilio -> RE: Operating systems (12/15/2007 4:03:54 PM)

For MAC OS X the only one solution that I found is Virtual Machines (see above).

I also tried CrossOver for Mac (the WINE for Mac commercial version) and I couldn't run ANY Matrix games. The version was 6.10 (now they released 6.20).

However CrossOver works fine for another games as Russo-German War 41-44 or Anglo-German War 39-45.

I have both solutions installed, depending of the game to be played.

herwin -> RE: Operating systems (1/1/2008 11:55:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jshan

Have people got it running under Vista?

Have people got it running under Unix?

Have people got it running on a MAC with Intel chips??

MacBook Pro running XP using Bootcamp.

treespider -> RE: Operating systems (1/1/2008 4:11:36 PM)

MAC OS X on iMac using BootCamp with Windows Vista.

The Gnome -> RE: Operating systems (1/14/2008 4:52:54 PM)

I'm leaning towards VMware on OSX Leopard, I'll post here with my findings with vanilla WiTP when I run it in like a week or so.

ypsylon -> RE: Operating systems (1/14/2008 6:48:54 PM)

With Vista no problems but you need to "install" DirectX9c earlier or error will pop up when trying to run.

When you reinstalled system and games are on different partition you need to reinstall games as well (IIRC Error 200 or something like that).After that no problems.

And as Reg proved under Linux & Wine also no problems. Mainly because WITP and many other Matrix games do not require DX15 and 6*SLI to run them. [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
4.492188E-02