OT: look at the vista (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Conquest of the Aegean

CriticalMass -> OT: look at the vista (3/22/2007 3:43:43 PM)

Hi

thought I would share this with you.

I just noticed in vista that the toolbar has a LIVE popup of the game in progress. How cool is that?!

Bosses and wives (samething I guess [;)]) beware.

[image]local://upfiles/8884/4539AEC1C3674635ABB2156BD169EFD1.jpg[/image]

Fred98 -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/23/2007 1:05:13 AM)

I presume you had minimised the game first ?

-

RedDevil -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/23/2007 1:44:04 AM)

I haven't got Vista and don't plan to make the investment until it will become absolutely necessary to play a game I like, but the more screenies I see the more it looks like my 1+ year old Ubuntu + Beryl 3D acceleration linux box [:)]

Cheers,

RedDevil

BTW... being prepared to accept a substantial degradation of performaces I was told it is possible to run COTA in windowed mode under Linux... one day I will give it a try!

CriticalMass -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/23/2007 12:54:39 PM)

@Joe 98

yes, the game is minimized. As I rolled-over the taskbar, I was plesently surprised to see that mini screen popup was showing the units moving.

@RedDevil
To date, I've been very happy with Vista I've had no appreciable slow down in applications (other than UAC [>:]- but if I wanted to be at higher risk from viruses etc. I could turn it off). Oh, and that screenshot has been blurred in Photoshop - I must remember to give Ubuntu a wide berth, if my screenshot reminds you of it [:D]

RedDevil -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/23/2007 7:11:17 PM)

[:)]
What I mean is that the live "thumbnail" as well as the 3D desktop that seem so revolutionary (to the few people I know who use Vista) have been around for quite a bit of time in Linux.
I am quite sure that Vista is a fine OS, but I will only get if it comes pre-installed in my new computer (as it was the case for WInXP), i.e. I do not have the intention (read: the money) to buy it.

Cheers,

RedDevil

RedMike -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/29/2007 4:36:00 AM)

Hey Randy,

How do you like Beryl ? I use Gentoo/fluxbox meself. Haven't tried Beryl.

RedMike...out

HansBolter -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/29/2007 2:05:04 PM)

Looks like a fine way to waste memory on glitz to me.

Marc von Martial -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/29/2007 2:40:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedDevil

I haven't got Vista and don't plan to make the investment until it will become absolutely necessary to play a game I like, but the more screenies I see the more it looks like my 1+ year old Ubuntu + Beryl 3D acceleration linux box [:)

Yeah, the Linux loonies copied it all from Mac OS [:'(]

Marc von Martial -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/29/2007 2:41:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

You can turn it of if you do not want it [;)]

RedDevil -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/29/2007 3:38:06 PM)

It is indeed a waste of resources, however I use it on my laptop to show people there is more to linux than a command line full of cryptic symbols and that it could look as good (or better) than other operating systems.

As for copying from the Mac OS... well who hasn't? [:D]

CriticalMass -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/29/2007 4:24:03 PM)

quote:

Actually, there are some fine productivity improvements, especially around Explorer. I must say I'm enjoying it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Yeah, the Linux loonies copied it all from Mac OS [:'(]

Oh, isn't it all stolen from Mac OS [8|]

I prefer to think it's all stolen from the Amiga [:D] (Now there was [is] an operating system [sm=happy0065.gif]).

HansBolter -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/29/2007 4:58:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CriticalMass

quote:

Actually, there are some fine productivity improvements, especially around Explorer. I must say I'm enjoying it.

[I prefer to think it's all stolen from the Amiga [:D] (Now there was [is] an operating system [sm=happy0065.gif]).

I'm sure there are. It was just a little cheap shot in good fun. Personally, I probably won't move to it until after SP1 comes out for it and they fix a few of the glitches that are bound to be there.

MarkShot -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/29/2007 5:10:40 PM)

Well, my new system arrives today with XP Pro SP2. Maybe I will explore Vista in a year or two. At the moment, I don't see anything compelling (except possibly better load balancing support in multi-CPU systems).

CriticalMass -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/30/2007 4:49:21 PM)

HansBolter,

only ever taken in good fun. I have to have a serious dollop of humour to post anything remotely positive about Vista. From what I've seen it's like trying to sell COTA et al to some quarters of the gaming "fraternity".

"Come in, the waters fine"

I would probably not have installed Vista either until SP1 or a year, which ever came last ;), but where I work we are a Microsoft Gold Partner (something like that) so I have access to an MSDN subscription (which makes me a Vista tester, I think).

I tried all, well most, of the Betas and RTM, so I fear no shocks...[sm=comp16.gif]

TANX
Andrew

06 Maestro -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/30/2007 6:46:15 PM)

My kids have a couple of HP deskTops with "free" Vista up-grade. I have not condsidered upgrading yet as I'm used to the routine; hype, sell, patch, pach, service pak, and then all is well. So, until i hear from real people that it's good, I'm not touching it-even for free.

CriticalMass -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/30/2007 7:53:20 PM)

[sm=00000946.gif]...I'm pretty "real" for a robot

06 Maestro -> RE: OT: look at the vista (3/30/2007 8:42:15 PM)

Two robots will convince me.[;)]

RedDevil -> RE: OT: look at the vista (4/5/2007 12:40:19 AM)

Cota on Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 and wine...
Shame for the minimap which doesn't work :(
Still have to test it but it looks as fast as under WinXP...

Note the live tile :)

Cheers,

RedDevil

[image]local://upfiles/13965/B6328E3651B846BD90874666A62CF514.jpg[/image]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.399658E-02