TACOPS 4 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

JudgeDredd -> TACOPS 4 (2/1/2006 5:04:38 PM)

I was looking at this game (just killing time until Matrix get there finger out and release a new game! [;)])...anyone have it and like it? What's it like to play?

I've read the blurb at Battlefront, I just want to see what ppl think of the gameplay

sterckxe -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/1/2006 7:07:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I was looking at this game (just killing time until Matrix get there finger out and release a new game! [;)])...anyone have it and like it? What's it like to play?

I've read the blurb at Battlefront, I just want to see what ppl think of the gameplay

Well, there's a demo for it so you could try it out before jumping in.

At the risk of upsetting Major H I must say that I find the game too abstract for my taste. I want my 2nd Panzer battalion to take the crossroads leading into Bastogne, not a generic red btl beating the crap out of a blue one. In other words : I like the historical tie-in, which TacOps doesn't have. But a version of TacOps has been on sale for like a decade and there's plenty of folk who like it a lot so try the demo and find out :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

JudgeDredd -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/2/2006 12:28:05 AM)

Just downloaded the demo and looks reasonable. It's the right scale for me...squads and platoons...however, the interface isn't all that and the counters are a bit...well, the interface just isn't that good.

I may...depends on whether I pluck up the courage to get SB:V - this one's a download, you see....so easier to "conceal".

Modern man, eh! [8|]

wodin -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/2/2006 2:05:14 AM)

Judgedredd,

When you get SB V go here and join the SB forum and club. Great bunch of lads and always up for a game PBEM. This game comes into its own PBEM.....

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/list.php?f=14

And here to get some great scenarios and mods.......

http://www.wargamer.com/hosted/squadbattles/id108.htm

sterckxe -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/2/2006 9:17:20 AM)

quote:

Just downloaded the demo and looks reasonable. It's the right scale for me...squads and platoons

hm, Squads and platoons - and I know you like operational games from your HTTR and COTA posts :) so I think you might want to check out the demo for The Star and The Crescent from Shrapnel.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Hertston -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/2/2006 9:25:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

hm, Squads and platoons - and I know you like operational games from your HTTR and COTA posts :) so I think you might want to check out the demo for The Star and The Crescent from Shrapnel.

And the other games in the series (Armored Task Force, Falklands War, Raging Tiger) depending on scenario preference.. although TSatC is probably the best, just for the maps.

At that level, they are far more entertaining (I wouldn't presume to comment on "realism") tha TacOps IMHO, particularly if you like HttR - they use much the same continuous-time approach, and you'll feel right at home.

Not downloads, though [;)]

JudgeDredd -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/2/2006 9:37:45 AM)

I'm less of an operational fan, Eddy...thing is with HTTR and COTA, I love the engine. The AI is damned good and the free flow of it turns me on...the unit size is not normally my thing...but I forgive those two games because of gameplay.

wodin -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/2/2006 1:02:14 PM)

I can still imagine in my head a company of soldiers which helps with immersion. Anything bigger and Im not to keen myself. HTTR and PzC is prob the highest I will go. Its more operational/tactical which is fine. I do prefer squad size though and 1 tank = 1 tank.

CapnDarwin -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/2/2006 4:26:50 PM)

You could always check out Matrix's Flashpoint Germany. (shameless plug! [:D])

pzgndr -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/2/2006 7:58:18 PM)

TacOps is very realistic, which makes it a great sim if you know and understand modern warfare tactics but also makes it a terrible "game" if you don't. I have an Army background and commanded a mech company in Germany, so I really appreciated a game where the AI faithfully recreates Soviet/OPFOR doctrine. How one fights and wins in TacOps is pretty much how you would do it in real life. It is a serious wargame, and I've had various versions of TacOps on my harddrive since at least 1997. If it appeals to you, then check out the demo at Battlefront and study the game. If not, there are lots of other pretty games out there. [;)]

JudgeDredd -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/3/2006 9:51:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Capn Darwin

I was on the testing team one time for Robert Crandalls excellent Flashpoint Germany - up until the initial release and just beyond. Fantastic game and played to death.

And, I can't find my copy anymore! Great game though...I do pop in the forums to see how it's progressing.

Unfortunately it's major strength was also it's biggest weakness...the maps. They are truly a work of art...but people have been calling for a while now for an editor to keep going with it...but because the maps were so beautifully handcrafted, they were also limited to one or two people to create - and time consuming.

I hope Robert listens to the crowd and makes the game a bit more "replayable" in version 2. As I said, I played ti to death and then there was nowhere to go...so I moved on.

Great game though.

JudgeDredd -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/3/2006 9:56:42 AM)

quote:

I'm less of an operational fan...the unit size is not normally my thing...but I forgive those two games because of gameplay.

And yet I have Hearts of Iron 2!

I keep picking this game up for 20 minutes and then putting it down and leaving it for ages....and last night I played for a full 5 hours! Wife was lying in bed, 1 o'clock saying "Are you going to come to bed?" Fantastic. Took Poland in 5 hours!! Beat that Germany!

IronManBeta -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/3/2006 11:19:31 PM)

Its at the top of my list, old buddy, top of my list...

Cheers, Rob.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

Capn Darwin

I was on the testing team one time for Robert Crandalls excellent Flashpoint Germany - up until the initial release and just beyond. Fantastic game and played to death.

And, I can't find my copy anymore! Great game though...I do pop in the forums to see how it's progressing.

Unfortunately it's major strength was also it's biggest weakness...the maps. They are truly a work of art...but people have been calling for a while now for an editor to keep going with it...but because the maps were so beautifully handcrafted, they were also limited to one or two people to create - and time consuming.

I hope Robert listens to the crowd and makes the game a bit more "replayable" in version 2. As I said, I played ti to death and then there was nowhere to go...so I moved on.

Great game though.

JudgeDredd -> RE: TACOPS 4 (2/3/2006 11:53:24 PM)

Great to hear it, Rob. As I say, I keep popping in to see how things are progressing with it...seems the scenario creation is the thing most requested.

Glad to see your still about and going hard at it.

Have you started on 2 yet? Where are you at? Design Stage? Preliminary code? Surely not final testing? [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.392578E-02