All Ye Olde Grognards!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ilovestrategy

RE: All Ye Olde Grognards!

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: 33Vyper

AH War at Sea....god the hours spent trying to have Italy rule the waves

AH War in the Pacific....still have that one in the closet somewhere.

AH Lufftwaffe....hours and hours.....and yes...hours spent bombing trying to bomb the Reich into submission.
wow, AH War in the Pacific and War at Sea. I remember playing those looooong ago
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

ORIGINAL: RocketMan

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

Not necessarily. You are correct if you are playing with Vassal by email. However, the beauty of Vassal is you can play live online for free and play your game almost as if you had an opponent sitting across the table from you. What ever you do, your opponent sees it immediatly and can interupt you to respond. Very easy to do.

Thats why I said -
ORIGINAL: RocketMan

to play even a moderately complex board game on the computer will require multiple sessions where each player is available at the same time
[&:] Sorry, I guess I missed your point.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
degen

Post by degen »

The first real board wargame I played was Breitenfeld from Strategy and Tactics magazine. My favs during that period were Panzer Gruppe Guderian (a classic), Sniper, and the Melee/Wizard series. After many years off from wargaming, I picked up Steel Panthers 3 for $5 from a bargain bin at the CompUSA in Bakersfield. I started playing SPWAW after that along with some RTS games, like Warcraft 3. About two years ago, I got back into board wargmes and started collecting and playing them rather than computer games. The biggest difference to me is that while computer games handle the paperwork for you, board wargames afford you more control over the situation.
"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton
degen

Post by degen »

Dave Briggs, I just noticed you are also from Sacramento. If you get a chance, e-mail off line with your gaming interests and possibly we can get together to play.
"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

I started playing boardgames back when I was young, pretty much had all the AH games that I could fine, then then go nuts as I waiting for the ones they talked about doing

in 73 Joined the Marines

got away from it for a bit, then found some people who used to play, so we got started back up

we had a long training mission, and when we got back to base, we got a weekend pass, my friend had a car, and we drove up to NYC for Origins, I was able to buy one of the first copies of SL there, even better got to talk to the designer, while he was trying to show off the game

when he found out I was a Cpl Squadleader in the Marines, he pulled me aside just to talk and ask questions, things that he had tried to do in the game, and how would we do it in real life, my friends got tired and left to look around, while I stayed and talked to him for a few hours, it was a very good talk

later when my friend was getting out, they still wern't selling the game in the NC area, so he begged and traded with me, so I gave him my copy, later on was able to get a new verison

only later, did I find out what one of the games sold at Origins when it first came out, was worth !

but, it was very used, it played it all the time

LOL

my Friend and I, during our first game we ever played, had a lot of interest from the other Marines, he was new to our unit and pretty cocky, a battle of the buldge add on, when the game was over, I had crushed him as the GE

while I changed so we could get something to eat, the duty NCO asked him how good was I, he replied, that either I am a Genius, or I cheat, but he can't figure out how I was cheating !!!!

ahhh, the good old days

HARD_Sarge
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Wow, we played Dungeons and Dragons and Starfleet Battles when I was in the Marines back in the 80's [:D]. Nothing like a 2 day campaign on a board game with a bunch of single guys with brewskies and pizza. [;)]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Return to “General Discussion”