Direct Draw Initialization Error

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
trep

Direct Draw Initialization Error

Post by trep »

Hi,
When I try to play Steel Panthers:WaW I have the message Direct draw initialization error #2005532552 pops up and I can not play the game. I had this problem when I had version 4.3 after I installed the VooDoo 5 5500. I contacted you and was told to install the new version. I just received the Mega campaign and installed the version 5.0 and still have the same problem. I know the problem is notcaused by the game, but any help that you can give me so I can play the game is greatly needed. I have been jonesing to play the game.
trep

Post by trep »

Fixed it, Put in the old video card, and it works great. trep7@aol.com
Supervisor

Post by Supervisor »

If you want to go back to your Voodoo 5 it sounds like all you need to do is update your DirectX drivers.
trep

Post by trep »

Would I put the updated direct x driver in the VooDoo 5 5500 file. trep7@aol.com
Supervisor

Post by Supervisor »

No, if your using IE use your windows update function and select product update. Look for DirectX 8.0a and after selecting it it will install itself automatically where it needs to go on your computer. Or you can check with the Voodoo website for updated DirectX drivers. You can go here http://www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads/default.asp and download it yourself and then install it yourself. Good luck
trep

Post by trep »

Well thanks for trying to help me out. Loaded the new DirectX version on my computer and put the VooDoo card back in and the same error message comes up. Ill just use the old video card when I play Steel Panther:WaW. Ill be playing it for quite awhile.Its been way to long since the last time I played it.Thanks again. trep7@aol.com
Coldfire

Post by Coldfire »

Greetings,
I tried to upgrade to 5.2 and 5.3. Once the computer rebooted I'm getting a Direct Draw error message (init error #2147467259).
I do not have another video card to put in so I'm going to have to work this problem out . I've got a 3dfx Voodoo 3 card, and I have updated all of the DirectX and video card driver as of this morning.
So whats next?
Coldfire
"Gamey, whiny, collegiate legal butt, fancypants, pompous ass, flaming asshole, son-of-a-bitch" Appellations by Lt. Dan, 'Delta 3-2'
Supervisor

Post by Supervisor »

Did you try reinstalling the upgrade after you updated the video card and DirectX drivers? Unfortunately nobody has found a sure fire fix for the Voodoo card problems that I know of. I've heard some people using this product helped cure some of their problems. PC accelerator 6000 it's free. http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10102-100-6207458.html?tag=st.dl.10001-1 03-1.lst-7-4.6207458

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]
john g

Post by john g »

Originally posted by Coldfire:
Greetings,
I tried to upgrade to 5.2 and 5.3. Once the computer rebooted I'm getting a Direct Draw error message (init error #2147467259).
I do not have another video card to put in so I'm going to have to work this problem out . I've got a 3dfx Voodoo 3 card, and I have updated all of the DirectX and video card driver as of this morning.
So whats next?
It probobly isn't a directx problem, it is more likely a video driver problem. Or depending on how old the monitor is, it might be a monitor problem.

I ran into a error when trying to run SPWAW on a monitor I picked up in a trade, it was built before plug and play detection was built into monitors so when the computer booted up it came up in 640x480x32k. I tried lauching from that (my normal p&p monitor boots in 1024x768x32k) and got an error, because the video driver thought the monitor couldn't support 800x600. To complete testing of the monitor I changed the desktop to 800x600 and was able to run the game.

The upshot of this is that I am running an updated voodoo3 3000 driver (downloaded off the web) that has given me great service, it runs far better than the drivers that came with the board.

So if you are having problems with video, don't suspect directx (both 7.0a and 8 have run SPWAW just fine on my machine), look towards the video driver, the monitor or the monitor settings for the desktop.
thanks, John.
Coldfire

Post by Coldfire »

Originally posted by john g:

look towards the video driver, the monitor or the monitor settings for the desktop.
thanks, John.
Video card driver updated this morning. Monitor, or setting for it and desktop, have not changed.

This only started after I installed the 5.02 and 5.03 patches. 5.01 was running fine.
Coldfire
"Gamey, whiny, collegiate legal butt, fancypants, pompous ass, flaming asshole, son-of-a-bitch" Appellations by Lt. Dan, 'Delta 3-2'
Coldfire

Post by Coldfire »

Originally posted by gmenfan:
Did you try reinstalling the upgrade after you updated the video card and DirectX drivers? Unfortunately nobody has found a sure fire fix for the Voodoo card problems that I know of. I've heard some people using this product helped cure some of their problems. PC accelerator 6000 it's free. http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10102-100-6207458.html?tag=st.dl.10001-1 03-1.lst-7-4.6207458

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: gmenfan ]

Just tried reinstalling the patches, same error. I'll head to the address you gave and try that. Can't hurt to try <grin>. Thanks
Coldfire
Custer6

Post by Custer6 »

I too, am suffering from a similar problem. I installed the Campaign program, but receive the following error message: DirectDraw Initialization Error #2005532552. I have installed on different display scales (800 x 600, etc...), attempted all the patches and updated all drivers. I can run the opening film, but no game. I have a HP Pavilion. Any ideas?
Voriax

Post by Voriax »

I'd think twice before installing directX 8...several of my friends got problems in some game immediately *after* installing DX8...

Just a warning.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
Supervisor

Post by Supervisor »

Custer do you also have a Voodoo 3Dfx card??? If so you can try HP's website for the most up to date drivers for your system. If you have a VooDoo 3DFX card check here for the most up to date drivers for your cards. http://www.3dfx.com/downloads.htm Yes DirectX 8.0 has had it's share of reported problems but DirectX 8.0a (which is the most current)cleared up about 99% of the problems encountered with previous version of 8.0 Those of you with problems using VooDoo chipset's I'm sorry but most of those problems have always been related to the video card drivers and or settings, so it would be in your best interest to make sure they are the most current and fiddle with settings to try and make it work. Good luck
Custer6

Post by Custer6 »

Gmenfan,
I do not have VooDoo but I have it up and running, just not sure what I did to make it work???? After finally getting this working, those digital Nazis should be a breeze.
tracer

Post by tracer »

I have a suggestion: find the README file from the last video driver you loaded and see which version of DirectX it supports. I know 3dfx says it will continue to support the VooDoo cards, but I can't help but wonder if Micro$oft is paying as much attention to them and their compatibility with newer versions of DirectX.

I have a Creative TNT2 Ultra, and the only driver released for it that claims 'First full DirectX 8 driver'is the 6/6/01 release from NVidia; Creative's most recent was in early March.
Jim NSB ImageImage
Supervisor

Post by Supervisor »

Glad to see you up and running Custer, and if you think those digital Nazi's (or Jap's etc) are going to be a breeze, your in for a rude awakening.
pops

Post by pops »

..try setting your desktop to the same resolution etc as the game before you enter...dunno if this will help...I have a Voodoo 5 5500 with no probs...I don't have to change my resolution but wonder if it will help you...

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”