To New Forum Members: Check in Here

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

elcidce

RE: To New Forum Members: Check in Here

Post by elcidce »

The game itself is a free download. The $70 is for a copy of the games and the megacampaigns on a disk. The savings is in the fact that the megacampaigns are $25 each. I think there are 5 on the disk. Its a great deal. These campaigns are tweaked and balanced more than the original ones were and they are really long. The oobs are updated as well as the graphics. Good Luck and I recommend the cd purchase.
The Citadel
G Company
Class of 1991
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Try the game itself, which is free as pointed out. If you enjoy it, get the Mega Campaigns. The General's Edition comes with 4 MC's, or you can buy them individually. If you go that route, get MC Screaming Eagles!

Goblin
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Panzer67

hello all. new to the forum and i am looking forward to playing steel panthers, but i have a few questions about the game and some of the lingo i have seen here.

first off i have a feeling these are not your normal 3d type games. are these games more like the old board games i used to play?
second, are these games for online play only? can i play against the AI in the game or do i have to have human opponents?
third, what does IGOUGO and PBEM mean?

i am 38 and served in the US Navy for 12 years, last 4 on the USS George Washington CVN-73. i was an aviation electronics technician and made it to E-5. my father-in-law was also in the Navy during Vietnam and i had 3 uncles that all served at various times. one of which was in the Marines in the Pacific during WWII

i guess i have one more question, are there demo's of these games? just want to make sure its what i want before i drop 70 bucks on a download. that would not please the wife :o)

looking forward to being a part of this game and contributing what ever i may learn
I'll try to tackle these
1. The game is a hexed base game similar to a board game I reckon, someon correct me if Im wrong...
2. you can play against the AI or Human opponents
3. igougo is just what it says meaning I play my turn, then you play yours
4. PBEM=play by email......a feature ALOT of players use. human Vs. human

steelpanther

Post by steelpanther »

I am new to this forum. Have played the steelpanthers series since its inception and love it great job you guys. Playability is above all other games in its category.

I was born and raised in South Dakota (that is a state in the USA, contrary to what some of my current friends think). Joined the Air Force in 1980 and shortly after that got into computer games. Had been playing a lot of AH games and a few other board games that have some off the wall manufacturer. (favorite was Tobruk)

In 1985 got into microarmor and have played a few different rules. When I started playing SP and SPWAW lost interest in microarmor. Had to buy a new computer when I heard that there was a new version out. LOL

Am new to PBEM but am liking it so far.

Do not die for your country, let the other suckers die for thiers!
Panzer67

Post by Panzer67 »

thanks everyone, found the free version 8.2 at worthplaying.com. is it not available on matrixgames.com?

thanks for clearing somethings up, alby. igougo...thats pretty good [:)] wouldnt have figured that on out on my own.

steel panthers is pretty in depth, will have to read through all the docs. are they included with the game? started to play the first scenario but still not sure what i need to do or how to do it.
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
- - - Groucho Marx
Alby

Post by Alby »

thanks everyone, found the free version 8.2 at worthplaying.com. is it not available on matrixgames.com?

thanks for clearing somethings up, alby. igougo...thats pretty good [:)] wouldnt have figured that on out on my own.

steel panthers is pretty in depth, will have to read through all the docs. are they included with the game? started to play the first scenario but still not sure what i need to do or how to do it.

don't forget to get the patch that takes you to version 8.3[:)]

Panzer67

Post by Panzer67 »

got the patch, thanks. where can i find documentation on how to play the game? found the manual options link on the store page, but it only lists three games, not steelpanthers
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
- - - Groucho Marx
chief

Post by chief »

Look for a "Manual.pdf" file for manual in the Main SPwaw folder. Its for ver 5.0 but thats all there is, all glorious 139 pages. HTH

PS Welcome aboard.
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: steelpanther

I am new to this forum. Have played the steelpanthers series since its inception and love it great job you guys. Playability is above all other games in its category.

I was born and raised in South Dakota (that is a state in the USA, contrary to what some of my current friends think). Joined the Air Force in 1980 and shortly after that got into computer games. Had been playing a lot of AH games and a few other board games that have some off the wall manufacturer. (favorite was Tobruk)

In 1985 got into microarmor and have played a few different rules. When I started playing SP and SPWAW lost interest in microarmor. Had to buy a new computer when I heard that there was a new version out. LOL

Am new to PBEM but am liking it so far.

Welcome Steel!!
You must be the one kicking my butt in our email game!! [:D]

Alby

Post by Alby »

Welcome sir!!
forgot to say that in my previous post[:D]

Panzer67

Post by Panzer67 »

ORIGINAL: chief

Look for a "Manual.pdf" file for manual in the Main SPwaw folder. Its for ver 5.0 but thats all there is, all glorious 139 pages. HTH

PS Welcome aboard.

thanks chief...wow havent said that in quite awhile [:)] i am assuming you were or are in the navy? yeah i found that doc, it is pretty long. will have to print it out so i can have it in my "reading room", if my wife will let me use that much ink!

thanks again!
- - - Groucho Marx
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

I think chief was in the Navy when they slugged it out with muzzleloaders![:D]

Goblin- A Goblin loves chief[;)]
chief

Post by chief »

I was in the Navy when John Paul Jones was a Midshipman in the Scottish Navy.

Panzer 67 My years of service were from 49 to 68.

No goblin, not 1848 to 1868 either......I know what you were thinking...the chief always KNOWs.
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

[:)]
Panzer67

Post by Panzer67 »

ORIGINAL: chief

I was in the Navy when John Paul Jones was a Midshipman in the Scottish Navy.

Panzer 67 My years of service were from 49 to 68.

No goblin, not 1848 to 1868 either......I know what you were thinking...the chief always KNOWs.

thats awesome chief, glad to be aboard. i served from 85-97.

i found the manual and actually printed it out (ahh the joys of xerox machines at work) so i will be reading through that as i learn the game.

thanks again everyone. hope to be playing some of you soon [;)]
- - - Groucho Marx
karl_max

Post by karl_max »

Hi all, I am Carlo from Tuscany, Italy. I am 33, never been soldier and don't care, but I always appreciated strategic games. Being born in 70's in a little province of Italy, I never known about wargames or hex grids or even rpg's till I was 16. All I liked to do was play chess and then use my little plastic soldiers to simulate fights with my friends, everyone armed with a meter and our Monopoli's dice! The grid was the tiles on the floor. A rudimentary wargame [:D]
My wargaming experience is nearly nothing:
board games: Risk, Junta (!)
pc: Jagged Alliance 2, Shogun Total War, Medieval TW, Close Combat 5, SPWaw

I don't like so much real time strategy, cos I see wargame as a very developed chess game, where the pleasure consists in thinking about it.

See you in the forum, cos I got some questions to post...

Bye
ahmedvonmuneeb

Post by ahmedvonmuneeb »

Hello, there. My name is Muneeb Ahmed and I'm from Islamabad, Pakistan (didn't see many from Pakistan here). I don't have as long a history of wargaming as some of the fuys here. I started playing when I was 9, starting with Warcraft I and Civ, I was quickly won over to Close Combat III when it came out and have played it countles times. Been playing SP for close to five years now; never found anyone around who played the same games as I did so I've decided to join up here. Incidentally, my favorite is Talonsoft's The Operational Art of War.
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

Hi!

I'm Terho Viitasaari from Finland. I'm not so new with the SPWAW, but pretty new in these fields. Have been reading the forums about half a year now and decided to join. Sorry about my not-so-bad-but-not-so-good english ;) I'm quite young (25) and looking upwards to you old timers I've seen here.

I started to write dar/aar when playing email-game with my friend(, naturally in Finnish :) Now I've started a Long Campaign with German forces and planning to post some reports in English ...if I ever get somewhere from eastern Prussia.

My interest have been WWII since I remember my days back. My grandfather was a rifleman/engineer/squad leader in Winter War (39-40) and in Continuation War (41-44). This interest is part of my life, but certainly not my whole life. Bigger part is my beautiful wife and my first child who should be born in november this year.[8D]
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

Reporting for duty, Sir.

My name is Puukkoo. I'm from Northern Europe country Finland and I'm quite new with the SPWAW. I have played Steel Panthers I-III almost to that point that I have become a pacifist, but not yet.

I have liked many scenarios I had with SPWAW v. 8.0 and I don't have particular favourite nations to play, except when Finns and Russians fight I never play Russian. I have found it very fun to play with USMC at the Pacific, because fighting in difficult terrain makes combat very hard.

Btw, I use the same ID, Puukkoo, at the Internet Movie Database Boards. I just hope we don't speak here politics as much as in there.
Don't be shocked, I AM funny.
spmlawyer

Post by spmlawyer »

Name's Steve. I'm an attorney in NYC. I have been playing wargames since 1984. Some early floppy games included Tom Clancy's Red Storn Rising and a companion sub game. Extraordinary realism at a time when screen graphics consisted of primitive hieroglphics. Then there was also Aegis and Task Force 1942, two excellent surface naval games. Got interested in land battles via Panzer General I - III and SP I-III, not to mention countless other games. Along the way, I wen through all the Battleground series including The American Civil War and Napoleonic Battles. Rising Sun and Great Naval Battles, whew. All that time playing games when I could have been earning money.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to be here, trying to recall some of the basics of SP gameplay and looking forward to sharing my thoughts and questions.

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”