Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read)

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Mr.Frag

RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read)

Post by Mr.Frag »

However, the sounds are rather tinny... so, I was wondering, when the official patch is released, are you guys going to bump up the bit rate?

I could double the bit rate but it would probably halve the number of people fixed. [:(]

Let me start working on a 44 kHz version [:D]

252 sound bits on the wall ... [>:]
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Air-to-ground bombing, and some air-to-naval bombing, sounds like squealing girls on a roller coaster ...

Grotius, you're suckin' my flava here.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Hehe, I almost wrote "as someone said." My apologies. Your description was spot-on. [:)]
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Hehe, I almost wrote "as someone said." My apologies. Your description was spot-on. [:)]

No apology necessary, it's all in fun. My all-time fave has to be victorious Chinese troops with Australian accents yelling "hip hooray" as though they've just discovered a mountain of beer, vegemite, and poon tang in approximately equal amounts (though not necessarily in that order).
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

OK, I applied the interim patch. (FYI, I already had Windows Media Player 9.00.00.3075 installed; is there any newer version than that? I downloaded it from Windows update a couple months ago. I can reinstall if you like.) So far I've had no CTDs, but unfortunately I still have a few issues:

1. I still get the high-pitched squeal when bombs drop (in either air-to-ground or air-to-naval attacks). They sound a bit like the "whistle" noise that one hears when bombs fall, except they're way too loud and intense.

2. On the other hand, the "R2/D2" squeak that someone mentioned, which used to play as bombs exploded, is now gone. In general, bomb explosions sound good now.

3. I now do hear some noise when enemy TFs "unload over the beach" unopposed, but it sounds like undifferentiated white noise -- or maybe like a truck driving down a highway. I don't really hear any combat sounds here.

4. The recon camera noise sounds better, I think, but maybe a little tinny. It's still an improvement; in 1.00 and 1.21, I could hardly hear it at all. I think I still prefer the UV camera-click.

5. I no longer hear the "Radio - send main body" or "Radio - we've spotted enemy carriers" chatter that I used to hear in 1.00 (but not in 1.21). Maybe this sound has just been deleted? I don't miss the radio chatter -- it got annoying -- but I do miss the underlying Catalina sound, as it moved from one speaker to another. UV had a wonderful version of that flying Catalina.

6. My Beauforts' torpedoes splash and make explosion noises now! They seem to work fine after this interim patch. They didn't work under 1.21.

7. Ground combat, and air-to-air combat, sound basically fine. Almost all of the "trash cans rolling around sounds" from 1.00 are gone from ground combat, thankfully. Though once in a while I hear a clink that reminds me of the 1.00 trash cans.

8. Ground movement (when an LCU moves a hex) sounds good for infantry. Not sure I'm hearing armor sounds; I'll check again.

My sound drivers are up-to-date, as is my DirectX. (I run Doom3 quite happily on this PC.) I'm happy to send along another dxdiag file if need be. In the meantime, I hope this helps.
Marc_Mitscher

Post by Marc_Mitscher »

I tried the patch. I did not have any problems before, now the background music is slightly distorded. It's a step backward in my case.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I've played a few more turns, and I have these further observations about the interim patch, in addition to those posted above.

1. Sometimes I hear background noise behind the Morse code segments in the spotting phase. Maybe this is intentional. Usually, though, I hear just clean Morse code, nothing else; the "clean" Morse sounds like what's intended.

2. I hear the same sort of background noise when enemy TFs "unload over the beach" unopposed. I'm pretty sure this sound isn't supposed to sound like this.

3. Some Shock Attacks taper off with shearing sounds, kind of like sheets of metal scraping against each other at a fairly high speed, or like empty scissors snapping repeatedly. I hear a little of this shearing in ground bombardment, too. Maybe it's intended; not sure.

4. The biggest issue is still the "roller coaster scream" with the bombs.

5. I did have one CTD, but this was while clicking on a TF during the planning phase. I wouldn't mention it at all, except that I haven't had a CTD in WITP in a long while (not since I changed the names of files in the sound directory).
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

Works fine on my notebook (there was some CTDs before) , thanks
On my home PC I've no problems before, after installation I found more smooth resolution phase...thanks too
[:D]
Wilson ESQ

Post by Wilson ESQ »

After the last patch, I have had no real sound issues. Should I download the new patch?
"A foolish man is put in a flutter by every word."
Heraclitus
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

After the last patch, I have had no real sound issues. Should I download the new patch?

Nope, if you do not need don't bother with it at this point in time.
Oliver Heindorf

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

ORIGINAL: Marc_Mitscher

I tried the patch. I did not have any problems before, now the background music is slightly distorded. It's a step backward in my case.

I sencond that. going down from 192 to 22 is a way back into the 80's. I remember me doing 22khz sound files on an Amiga 500. ppl cant fix their installaton trobles with 1000's of installed filters, codecs etc and yelling for patches. Windows needs, after a year, a complete installation, no matter what !

get a good simple small install, and WitP runs like a rabbit.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Oliver, my PC can handle 192KHz sound files in other games just fine, and I installed Win XP clean just a few months ago. WITP is the only game I have for which it's an issue. My system (P4/3G, 2G RAM, ATI 9800 Pro 128) runs Doom 3 fine. That game is about as demanding as they come.

As the devs have said, the WITP sound issue is a quirky one, confined to certain configurations of PCs. My laptop, which has much less horsepower than my desktop, has never had a sound problem with WITP.
Brausepaul

Post by Brausepaul »

Please don't mix up 22 kHz and 192 kbps [:)]
Oliver Heindorf

ORIGINAL: Brausepaul

Please don't mix up 22 kHz and 192 kbps [:)]

makes me feel like & [:D]

makes me now
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

So far it has worked fine with the few turns I have played.
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

After two turns, it working pretty well for me, too. My only complaint so far is that the bomb-dropping sound is still too loud, even after setting all sound settings to 5. It's better, but still it stands out too much. Most other sounds sound noticeably better at the higher sampling rate. (My incomplete sound education is coming back to me: isn't the gold standard in sound 24 bits/96KHz or some such? We're at 44 KHz with this patch?)

I still haven't had a chance the issue that plagued me in 1.21, though: torpedo bombers' sounds. Why haven't I had the chance to test them? Because the AI has shut down my airfield at Port Moresby, THAT's WHY! Grr. Time to move some Beauforts to Lunga, I guess. You know, for testing purposes. :)
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

44.1 kHz is commonly known as 128k in your mp3 players. [;)]
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Ah. I don't do MP3 players, so that's news to me. As I dimly recall from my digital-audio-recording days, 44KHz is a perfectly respectable sample rate. I'm not sure my ear can tell much difference between 44 and 96. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, after a few more turns, your 44 patch still seems nice and stable for me. The bomb-droppings are still too loud on air-to-ground, but they're somewhat better with all the volume set at 5. Bomb-droppings in air-to-naval are better still.

The only other quibble I have is with the "TF unloading over beach sound." I hear five seconds of monotonous machine noise. Is it supposed to be an amphib vehicle riding on a beach? It starts and stops very abruptly; doesn't fade in or out like other sounds.

Also, I still haven't had a chance to test how torpedo bombers sound. I may just have to load an old savegame, since my torpedo bombers at Port Morseby appear to be out of business. [8|]
russkly

Post by russkly »

Erik,

Problem solved!

Very pleased - completed decisive victory in tutorial with sound. Much better and more atmospheric.

Thanks for all your hard work and for that of the Matrix Games team. Now on to a proper scenario.

R
Oliver Heindorf

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

44.1 kHz is commonly known as 128k in your mp3 players. [;)]

yupp, now I remeber...22 khz is 16 bit mono....80's [:'(]

anyway, thanks Ray ! [:)]

Return to “Tech Support”