Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read)

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Erik Rutins

Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read)

Post by Erik Rutins »

If you are still having problems with sound in WitP, please try the patch at the following location. Please post in this thread with your results. We are hoping this will resolve all remaining issues, but we can't be sure without your feedback since this is a problem that does not affect any of our internal development or testing machines. Thanks again to all who have helped out in this process and a special thanks to Mr. Frag, who put in overtime work getting this ready for you all.

IMPORTANT: Please patch up to version 1.21 before applying this patch, to make sure that we are all on common ground as far as any other possible issues.

Right click on one of the links below, choose Save Target As and put it wherever you like, then run it from the location you saved it in. It should update your sound files. Then please play and report your results. The 44khz version has better sound quality and I'd recommend it as a first choice. If problems persist, try the 22khz version.

LINK: Interim Sound Patch for WitP 22khz (10,692 KB)

LINK: Interim Sound Patch for WitP 44khz (58,894 KB)

Regards,

- Erik

[Edit]: Added the 44khz download link
[Edit]: Corrected the 44khz download link. The file name is WarInThePacificSoundPatch44.exe, but was previously set to the 22khz patch (which is the same name, just without the "44").
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Snydeman55

RE: Interim SOUND PATCH (Please Read)

Post by Snydeman55 »

Happy to report Erik that my sound issues appear to be resolved! No more sound distortions on air-to-ground bombing runs! Yay!
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

COOL!!!!

Made my night, been here sweating bullets waiting for bad news [8D]
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

Does this patch mean that bombs dropping no longer sound like screaming undead teenage girls on a rollercoaster?
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Does this patch mean that bombs dropping no longer sound like screaming undead teenage girls on a rollercoaster?

Actually, I think that was Joel in the rollercoaster [:D]

Seriously, No, none of the sounds have been changed, they have been remixed to *hopefully* work on everyones machine no matter what sound card or drivers or 3rd party stuff they have installed.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

As a check I downloaded the patch and applied it. I have had no problem with CTD or any kind of freeze or lockup but there were a few stutters and odd pauses in the sound. The new patch clears up much of the stutters and pauses but there are still a few odd sounds but I think they are intentional( like the bombs falling and the Flak that sounds like pebbles hitting a tin roof). So, seems much better on the whole and I hope it helps others even more. At least it didn't break mine. [:D]
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

So should we patch, even if we have not experienced any problems?
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
guke

Post by guke »

Seems to fix my CTDs and Sound distortions [&o]
Reenabled AC3 Filter, verified Problem still existed, applied patch, problem gone [:)]

May I enquire what the cause of the problem was?

regards,
Gunnar
Buchon

Post by Buchon »

Sorry, It doesn't work on my PC. Still CTD.
Maybe it isn't a sound problem, maybe it's a too old sound card, maybe it's a quite clumsy user.
EasyGreen

Post by EasyGreen »

This patch has fixed my sound problem. I tried all the other fixes and none worked, except changing the sound directory name. Now I've played through several turns and had no CTDs. The game plays much better with sound!
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

May I enquire what the cause of the problem was?

All the sounds have been resampled and reduced to 22 kHz, Stereo in Windows Media Audio format instead of relying of the million and one different mp3 codex's out there. On a side none, this should also help speed up things for borderline computers as it is much easier to handle a 22 kHz tack vs a 192 kHz track.

If you are *still* having problems after this, I suggest you go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... efault.asp

And download the correct latest version for your operating systems. (top two links)

This should *also* fix up people who are having problems with the Intel Codex missing.

If you are *still* having sound problems after that, then run DXDIAG and on the sound tab, slide the acceleration to the far left, restart your system and test again.

If *that* fails too, I am really out of ideas. [:(]
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

So it is safe to assume that if we don't have any problems, as of 1.20/1.21, we should not apply this patch? It appears to me, after reading your post Mr. Frag, that they just switched the sound files to a "bite size" version.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

So it is safe to assume that if we don't have any problems, as of 1.20/1.21, we should not apply this patch? It appears to me, after reading your post Mr. Frag, that they just switched the sound files to a "bite size" version.

It would actually be helpful if you do install them. Perhaps they'll break some of you who are working now and we don't get in a situation where we fix some folks and break others with the next official patch.

Don't need everyone to do it, but if some of you go ahead and test it too, there will be a better comfort factor.
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

It would actually be helpful if you do install them. Perhaps they'll break some of you who are working now and we don't get in a situation where we fix some folks and break others with the next official patch.

Don't need everyone to do it, but if some of you go ahead and test it too, there will be a better comfort factor.
Aaagh! So it will be part of the next official patch eh? I agree, it would be wise to find any bumps in the road now. Maybe i should wait until i get my backup CD[:D][:'(]
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

Bombur

Post by Bombur »

It didn´t work to me. Computer still freezing when sound is enable. I will attempt Mr. Frag´s suggestions (sigh...)
donkuchi19

Post by donkuchi19 »

It fixed my problems. I played the first 5 days of April with combat anims, sound, and everything. I had no funny sounds or CTD. I had sound problems from 1.00 til 1.21.

Thanks
Kyloth

Post by Kyloth »

Works just fine now!
Thanks
ragtopcars_slith

Post by ragtopcars_slith »

Thanks!

Now getting all sounds and have had no CTD due to sound!
However, the sounds are rather tinny... so, I was wondering, when the official patch is released, are you guys going to bump up the bit rate?[8|]

Thanks for all the support

derek[&o]
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I just upgraded to 1.21 but have not yet downloaded this interim patch. 1.21 did fix my sound CTDs, so I'm a bit reluctant to tempt fate by trying this interim patch, but I'll do so if you guys think it would be helpful. For what it's worth, I've noticed the following issues under 1.21:

1. Air-to-ground bombing, and some air-to-naval bombing, sounds like squealing girls on a roller coaster, or screeching aliens from a horror movie.

2. My Beauforts' torpedoes make no sound when they splash or when they hit the target. No explosion, no nothing. I do seem to hear some other torpedo sounds in the game, and some other explosions (e.g., Dauntlesses hitting ships).

3. I get no sound when the enemy unloads troops over a beach. I used to get a little gunfire.

4. I no longer hear the "Radio - we've spotted enemy carriers" and "Radio - send main body" chatter during spotting. I don't miss the radio, but I do miss the underlying Catalina sound, in which the plane would sound like it was flying from one speaker to another. UV had a similar sound.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Grotius,

Please try the interim patch. Everyone with any kind of sound problem in WitP 1.21 should try this and let us know how it works for them. If you still have a crash with this interim patch, it's hard to believe the problem is in the sound and I would revisit overall system maintenance.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Tech Support”