B5 Reboot is on!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

OldSarge

B5 Reboot is on!

Post by OldSarge »

A reboot of Babylon 5 has been rumored for years, but it now looks like it may finally be approaching reality. The best part is that JMS is driving the reboot and has promised a 'from-the-ground-up' reboot. Just in time for DW2. [8D]
To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is in active development as a series for the CW. We have some serious fans over at the network, and they’re eager to see this show happen. I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup.
4:44 PM · Sep 27, 2021·Twitter Web App

if I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then?
4:44 PM · Sep 27, 2021·Twitter Web App
JMS on Twitter
A new version of the Emmy-winning space opera television series Babylon 5 is in the works. The CW has put in development Babylon 5, described as a “from-the-ground-up reboot” of the critically acclaimed 1990s series, from original series creator J. Michael Straczynski and Warner Bros. Television

Babylon 5 Reboot
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
RangerJoe

RE: B5 Reboot is on!

Post by RangerJoe »

That sounds GREAT!
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I would have preferred a sequel, or prequel (Babylon 4 anyone?), or spin off instead. Let us hope they don't frak it up as has happened with some other reboots and sequels of late (He-Man).
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

With JMS running it, no way it gets frakked up.
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

As with any reboot, there will always be something, different or missing, that might disappoint. When the BSG reboot was first announced and it was disclosed the Starbuck would be played by Katee Sackhoff it set off a firestorm, but they pulled it off with some seriously good writing and story arcs.

Having read some of JMS' thoughts on the reboot and his obvious passion for the B5 Universe, I have high hopes this reboot nails it. Though the roles of G'kar and Delenn are going to be tough to fill, as the original actors set such a high bar.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I was a thorough fan of the show, but doesn't Hollywood/Bollywood/Film Industry have any innovative ideas to explore rather than recycling old ones? Heck I see CSI is getting a reboot too, but I doubt I'll watch it. Too many other shows to explore.
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

There have been a number of fresh SF series that have come along, Continuum, Falling Skies, and The Expanse.. The Expanse is set to release its 6th and final season later this year. New SF series have been few and far between though.

SyFy screwed the pooch and let The Expanse go. Fortunately, Amazon picked it up. I don't have Amazon Prime, so I have to catch up when they release the season's DVD, I just picked up S4 and will probably get S5 by November.
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Don't know what Bablyon 5 is but I'd love a sequel or prequel to Battlestar Galactica...[&o]

Of course I mean the 2004-2009 TV series.
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

Babylon 5 is an epic space opera that begins in the year 2257. Humanity is nearly wiped out by a race known as the Minbari after a botched first contact, humans decided to build a diplomatic station in a neutral part of space, a kind of UN in space.

It was the first SF series to be written as a novel for television, each episode is a kind of chapter of a larger story. There are long character arcs, in some cases these arcs lasted the entire season. There are also movies and books that are part of the B5 canon and help fill in the pieces of the story not covered in the series.

Oh yes, I'm also a fan of the BSG series! I also picked up the BSG Deadlock game and its DLCs, still slogging through the story lines. [:D]
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

To add on Babylon 5, physics are more realistic than in general. Right up there with Firefly series. Newton rules!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Use to love watching those series, sadly that ol garibaldi (Jerry Doyle) passed away not long ago. I think he was my favorite character in those series and i still have the complete dvd set of B5.

Looking forward to the remake, hopefully they dont ruin it.

Return to “General Discussion”