Should cluster munitions work on Radar sites?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

maverick3320

Should cluster munitions work on Radar sites?

Post by maverick3320 »

Currently playing Pacific Fury #2. I order Su-24D Fencers with RBK-250 PTAB cluster munitions to strike a J/FPS-2 radar site. The site is a soft building with 1 hp; the message log says "weapon impacted" for all the clusters, but the radar isn't destroyed.

I'm probably missing something obvious here - appreciate the assistance. Save attached.
Attachments
PacificFu..mbissue.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
KnightHawk75

RE: Should cluster munitions work on Radar sites?

Post by KnightHawk75 »

Are you talking about this one?
(click thumbnail)

If so it's actually been largely destroyed. It's been 11minutes since the radar was detected (tell tail sign it's no longer operating if you were previously getting emissions from it), and if you switch over you can see it's sensor is destroyed, the building is on fire and overall has 65% damage. If you send some recon over\near it that has ir or lltv (it's night time in game), or maybe do a very low pass over it with something with optical or eyeballs your side (and the icon) will likely 'update' the BDA status to damaged and on-fire. If you hit it with a couple more PTAB's it'll be destroyed completely (tested that dropped 8 more on it). Fog of war is at play till you bda on it (when something is not outright destroyed).

Seem everything is working fine, I don't know how many munitions you dropped on it originally though but it's clear whatever you did you mission killed it.

maverick3320

Post by maverick3320 »

ORIGINAL: KnightHawk75

Are you talking about this one?
(click thumbnail)

If so it's actually been largely destroyed. It's been 11minutes since the radar was detected (tell tail sign it's no longer operating if you were previously getting emissions from it), and if you switch over you can see it's sensor is destroyed, the building is on fire and overall has 65% damage. If you send some recon over\near it that has ir or lltv (it's night time in game), or maybe do a very low pass over it with something with optical or eyeballs your side (and the icon) will likely 'update' the BDA status to damaged and on-fire. If you hit it with a couple more PTAB's it'll be destroyed completely (tested that dropped 8 more on it). Fog of war is at play till you bda on it (when something is not outright destroyed).

Seem everything is working fine, I don't know how many munitions you dropped on it originally though but it's clear whatever you did you mission killed it.

Yes, apologies for not clarifying! Good to hear it's a mission kill; I guess I just assumed that anything with 1 HP would be completely destroyed if it was hit by even a portion of the cluster munition.
KnightHawk75

Post by KnightHawk75 »

Yeah about that... 1hp doesn't always mean exactly 1 hp if there are components attached. In some\many cases 1hp is really just a marker-value for use a generic 100% and then some damage % is applied against it taking out components along the way. That's why you could have a hit of something that deals like 65dp on a supposed 1hp target not necessarily always destroy it outright.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

KnightHawk makes a good point, ground units are often deceptive that way. Take a look at a Norwegian coastal fort, it looks easy to take out until you have to kill each of the steal and cement casements within the unit wrapper.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”