Entrenchment FOW glitch

Will952

Entrenchment FOW glitch

Post by Will952 »

Continuing from the previous SC game, entrenched troops 'block' line of sight of the adjacent enemy. So where a Corps has 2 spotting, if it is up against a solid line of enemy corps entrenched, they will only see those units and not anything behind them.

However when replaying the opponent's turn at the start of your own, the entrenchment graphic disappears, as does the blocked LOS effect. So any surprise artillery movements etc are lost. Appreciate this may be a tricky fix.
AshFall

RE: Entrenchment FOW glitch

Post by AshFall »

Oh damn, I hadnt realized that distinction. Good spot mate!
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Thanks for this report and I will take a closer look and make the necessary correction here.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi Willy952,

I've tried repeating this on my end but have been unable to do so. I tried the 1917 Fate of Nations in both a Hotseat and PBEM++ test and the frontlines on the Western front obscured units beyond the trench lines during the replays as you would expect.

Is this still happening for you?

Hubert
mdsmall

Post by mdsmall »

I'm glad that Will952 commented on this. I noticed the same thing in my recent PBEM game. You can see the same effect by looking at the replay of my moves on Old Crow Balthazor's You Tube channel. One effect is that opponents can see where enemy artillery is located behind the lines, making it easier to avoid defensive fire or to plan a sniping attack to break through and attack the artillery. It also makes it harder to bring new units up just behind the trench line for a surprise attack, as your opponent can see your units moving into place in the turn replay. I hope this glitch in the FOW can be fixed.
mdsmall

Post by mdsmall »

For example, if you look at the replay of my last turn on You Tube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Le17nzcLeM&t=4s

at the 3:50 point, the Italians can see an Austrian artillery unit moving into Verona and then around 4:15, the British sees a German cavalry unit moving up to the Persian border behind the Ottoman lines near Basra. In both cases, these units are behind an existing trench line which does not show up in the replay and thus does not block the Entente's line of sight.
Will952

Post by Will952 »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Hi Willy952,

I've tried repeating this on my end but have been unable to do so. I tried the 1917 Fate of Nations in both a Hotseat and PBEM++ test and the frontlines on the Western front obscured units beyond the trench lines during the replays as you would expect.

Is this still happening for you?

Hubert

I've just hotseated it myself and the problem does not appear. However it does, consistently, in PBEM.
Will952

Post by Will952 »

Hi Hubert, I've taken some screenshots to demonstrate the issue

This was taken during the replay (I am Entente) - note the Austrian artillery in the south. The infantry in front of it have been entrenched for about 3 turns prior to this. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6y39kh7n1gz8k ... y.png?dl=0

This was taken after the replay - shows the entrenched units and the artillery is now hidden. https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6yzi44kzaq6m ... y.png?dl=0
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Thank you for the follow ups, still trying to sort out why this is happening in PBEM++ replay. Will fix this and prep it for an update to correct the issue going forward.

Hubert
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi Will952,

I'm still having a real hard time repeating this on my end. Can you let me know if this is happening consistently on your end for every turn? Or is it only every once in a while?

The reason I ask is if it is consistent, then perhaps there is a chance I can view your next turn directly and through my development environment to see exactly why this might be happening as I unfortunately just can't repeat it on my end at the moment.

Hubert
Will952

Post by Will952 »

It is every (PBEM++) turn - the entrenchment graphic disappears during the replay and all FOW effects disappear with it.

ID 325457 and 236905 are two games I currently have going where it's happening. I'm not sure if I need to do anything else but you are of course welcome to check out those turns.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi Will952,

Thanks for this, and apologies for missing the message earlier. Could you send me an email to support@furysoftware.com?

I'd like to take this offline, if that is agreeable, to follow up on this a bit more in detail.

Hubert
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Finally found this and will correct for the next update

Return to “Tech Support”