Infuriating Super Poland

Moderator: Hubert Cater

Gorgyn769

Infuriating Super Poland

Post by Gorgyn769 »

Playing '39 Naval with friend PBEM as axis. Took Warsaw on turn 2. Poland didn't roll over till turn 5 when I spent precious time reducing them down to one army and 2 cities. What's going on?! Most games they surrender after Warsaw. I took Luxembourg early. Is this the game 'balancing' and making sure I keep on more historic rails or get punished?
Platoonist

RE: Infuriating Super Poland

Post by Platoonist »

It probably has nothing to do with grabbing Luxembourg early. I think there is variability built into the Polish surrender conditions to keep the game from getting predictable and stale. Sometimes the Poles quit when just Warsaw falls. Sometimes Warsaw and Modlin. Sometimes you have to take Poznan as well as those two.

France is the same way. Usually they quit when Paris falls. But be mentally prepared to chase them all the way down to Bordeaux just in case.
Gorgyn769

Post by Gorgyn769 »

Ok, thanks. I am fairly new to game. On that note, is there a guide as to what triggers the events in teh game? I am not talking about the scripted decision events, I mean things like, " Landing Allied unit in France and/or Italy improves USSR morale'. My friend and I are stumbling across these events and it would be nice to know they are coming and be able to prepare and/or play to them.
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

ORIGINAL: Gorgyn769

Ok, thanks. I am fairly new to game. On that note, is there a guide as to what triggers the events in teh game? I am not talking about the scripted decision events, I mean things like, " Landing Allied unit in France and/or Italy improves USSR morale'. My friend and I are stumbling across these events and it would be nice to know they are coming and be able to prepare and/or play to them.

There is a lot that can be gleaned from the strategy guide that ships with the game in the manuals folder, especially regarding the decision events. You may also want to wade through the patch notes as well.

To be truthful some things you just have to learn the awkward way by playing the game through at least once. Because no matter how comprehensively you read all the supplemental material, some detail has always been omitted or adjusted or overlooked.

Or you can ask here. [:D]
DrZom

Post by DrZom »

ORIGINAL: Gorgyn769

it would be nice to know they are coming and be able to prepare and/or play to them.

Didn't Churchill say that once?

Seriously, would you remove all outside, unknown variables? Isn't dealing with the unanticipated fun?
ThunderLizard11

Post by ThunderLizard11 »

Never seen Poland goes past three turns and nearly always 2 even if Warsaw goes down turn 1. What units did they have after turn 2 or 3? Did you move all your panzers west too fast?
havoc1371

Post by havoc1371 »

You have to destroy sufficient amount of Polish units when you take Warsaw, or they fight on. Never had it go past 3 turns. With France, I've learned to beat my way to Paris, but try to swing around and take the alt capital at Bordeaux first, to prevent it setting up a new capital on the coast. Had France shift the capital to Bordeaux in a game where it refused to surrender until I took the new capital, even with only two combat units left.
Illiniwek80

Post by Illiniwek80 »

Had France shift the capital to Bordeaux in a game where it refused to surrender until I took the new capital, even with only two combat units left.

France almost never surrenders right after Paris in my games. I always maneuver toward Bordeux as fast as possible. Then there's Russia, which always fights on for multiple turns after the three capitals are taken.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

There was a bit of a bug where France was shifting its capital to Bordeaux much more often than they should have, the latest hotfix just posted this past Friday should fix this.
Mwhit299

Post by Mwhit299 »

As the Axis, wouldn't it be better to let the Germans mop up all the easy units to gain experience rather than let them surrender on turn 2? I always thought it gave my commmanders, tanks, armies a little more experience against weak units. Unless i'm missing something.
ThunderLizard11

Post by ThunderLizard11 »

Never seen this and have played MANY PBEM matches. Just restart that match. Poland should drop in 2 turns if you take Warsaw and NEVER seen it take more than 3. And leave Luxembourg be until after Poland drops.
havoc1371

Post by havoc1371 »

I've had games where I had to conquer almost all of France and destroyed every French unit in France before they surrendered. Same with Poland. Then I switch sides with my opponent for another game and they immediately surrender when you take the capital. I can imagine this could really frustrate some players in a tournament game.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

When a nation loses its capital, there is a check performed (e.g. a low percentage chance), against the number of surviving units still on the map that may allow it to continue to fight. It would be extremely rare that you would be forced to destroy all surviving units, but theoretically possible.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”