Honoring the Southern Paddler!

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

Honoring the Southern Paddler!

Post by John 3rd »

A few days ago, I got in a mood to watch one of the most accurate World War Two movies EVER made. Great actors, excellent story, and fantastic action awaited my youngest son and I as we watched--you guessed it--KELLY'S HEROES!

About an hour into this classic, spellbinding war movie, Chris looks over at me (it might have been when Oddball's three Shermans were rolling thru the train yard with "I've Been Working on the Railroad" playing on the loud speaker) and says "doesn't your friend in Georgia HATE this movie??" Immediately I corrected him to say that Dan LOVES this movie and watches it for historical accuracy at least once a year!! [:D]

A toast to my friend, long-time opponent and editor of the delightful Georgia Backroads MISTER Dan Roper. You know him better as Canoerebel. Miss seeing him here and know he is doing well.

CHEERS!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RangerJoe

RE: Honoring the Southern Paddler!

Post by RangerJoe »

Oh yes, I miss him as well - but not with a weapon.[;)]

He loves that movie and another one about some visitors to the Hawaiian Islands on 7 December 1941. I will admit, that I never did watch that movie even though it is historically very accurate. [;)]
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

btd64

Post by btd64 »

CR.

Who says Kelly's Heroes aren't historically correct. Everyone knows that Kelly's Heroes is accurate [:D][:D]....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Oh yes, I miss him as well - but not with a weapon.[;)]

He loves that movie and another one about some visitors to the Hawaiian Islands on 7 December 1941. I will admit, that I never did watch that movie even though it is historically very accurate. [;)]

Don't mention the movie that shall not be mentioned. That would be bad [:@][:'(]....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Here we go again....[:D]

Hey, maybe if was say Kelly's Hero's three times Dan will reappear.[:'(]

Now I gotta watch that movie again, happens every time someone brings it up. Let's see, where did I put that DVD.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Closing eyes...

"Kelly's Heroes"

"Kelly's Heroes"

"Kelly's Heroes"

...did that WORK???

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Can you get him out of WitP:AE retirement?
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

We've always talked about one, last monumentus match...

btd64

Post by btd64 »

Old AE players don't retire, they just fade away....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Kelly's Heroes....now...THAT is a movie. [8D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Ian R

Post by Ian R »

I like the way they often avoided shots of the running gear of the 'Tigers'. They even seem to put obstacles in the way sometimes, so you couldn't see the T34's Christie type road wheels.
"I am Alfred"
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Look, you miscreants, I've never left this forum, lurking almost daily. I am compiling dossiers on each of you, against the day that you might be nominated for a seat on the Supreme Court. I'm pretty sure I already have enough to stop Chickenboy's candidacy. Heck, he might not can even leave his house these days.

As for Kelly's Heroes, I've said my piece. That illegitimate movie's groovy vibe is anathema to reputable historians and lovers of the arts. If I'm in the mood for Clint Eastwood and accurate history, I'll turn to Where Eagles Dare, thank you.

On a personal note, a month ago I did a long, solo backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia. I did 100 miles in six days, which is traveling, given my age. On the second day, May 12, it snowed and sleeted all morning. That was unexpected. But I pushed too hard for too long, so that I was never more ready to get off the trial and return home. On the afternoon of the sixth day, as I made my way down from the Dragons Tooth near Catawba, Virginia, even the lovely songs of the scarlet tanager and ovenbird became detestable noise, physically and mentally oppressive. When spring birdsong becomes oppressive it's time to go home.

I hope you all are well.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Look, you miscreants, I've never left this forum, lurking almost daily. I am compiling dossiers on each of you, against the day that you might be nominated for a seat on the Supreme Court. I'm pretty sure I already have enough to stop Chickenboy's candidacy. Heck, he might not can even leave his house these days.

As for Kelly's Heroes, I've said my piece. That illegitimate movie's groovy vibe is anathema to reputable historians and lovers of the arts. If I'm in the mood for Clint Eastwood and accurate history, I'll turn to Where Eagles Dare, thank you.

On a personal note, a month ago I did a long, solo backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia. I did 100 miles in six days, which is traveling, given my age. On the second day, May 12, it snowed and sleeted all morning. That was unexpected. But I pushed too hard for too long, so that I was never more ready to get off the trial and return home. On the afternoon of the sixth day, as I made my way down from the Dragons Tooth near Catawba, Virginia, even the lovely songs of the scarlet tanager and ovenbird became detestable noise, physically and mentally oppressive. When spring birdsong becomes oppressive it's time to go home.

I hope you all are well.

I'm glad that you are feeling well enough to hike. [;)]. At your age [:D]....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I think that your problem on that little walk is that you got too tired and sore while the pretty little birdies were chirping merrily away. You should have stopped, pulled out a portable DVD player or something and watched not just Kelly's Heroes but also another movie which I will not name here. Then, your perspective would have changed. [;)] Plus you would have been really motivated . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I hope you all are well.

Now THAT is what I am talking about! Hello Sir. Miss you bunches.

Was getting a little worried and nearly picked up--GASP--the phone to check-up on you. Glad you are well.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Always above the fray - glad to hear you got through the endurance test with no medical harm! Was there anyone else on the trail? Most hikers are fair weather weenies ...[:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Most aspiring thru-hikers start at Springer Mountain in Georgia in late February or March. They then move up the trail as sort of a pulse, ebbing and flowing but loosely together. This is referred to by hikers as the "Bubble." When I started my trip in Crandall, Virginia, on May 11, I was in the midst of the Bubble. One young member of the Bubble reported that this year's Bubble had divided, there being a "Bad Bubble." The Bad Bubble was a few days behind me, so I missed them.

After 14 years of section hiking, I finally got a trail name this year. At lunch on day one, a lovely, cool spring afternoon, I was laying on a wooden footbridge, eating lunch and reading my map. A young backpacker walked up and asked, "What's your name?" I replied, "Dan, from Georgia." When he learned I didn't have a trail name, he said, "You're 'Paper Map.'" And so I am.

Thru hikers are pretty resolute about facing bad weather. Their saying is, "No rain, no pain, no Maine." It's section hikers like me who are the soft weenies.

Hello again to all you gents. I'll bow out and return to lurk mode, unless summoned.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I'll bow out and return to lurk mode, unless summoned.

OK, now that we know your 'Bat Lamp'.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Kelly's Heroes....now...THAT is a movie. [8D]

Good actors; dog-shit script.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Good to hear from you, CR. I miss your AARs with their tangents into forestology, ornithology, etymology, entomology and a bunch of other -ologies.

Cheers,
CB
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”