Game becomes unresponsive when switching from the NA scenario to the 39 scenario and back with PBEM

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Christolos

Game becomes unresponsive when switching from the NA scenario to the 39 scenario and back with PBEM

Post by Christolos »

I have gotten the issue (twice now! ) of the game failing when going from one PBEM game to the next without restarting it or restarting my computer between games, which I shouldn't have to do. Pop up screens from the top bar menu items like Build, Convoys, Advancements, War Panel, Reports, etc., initially appear blank/empty, then the top menu bar becomes completely unresponsive, but I sort of still can scroll the map and sometimes select units, and eventually (as I click frantically hoping the game will come back) I can't do anything including quitting the game using the X, so I have to force quit using the Task Manager. I am playing two PBEM 39 scenario campaign games and several PBEM NA scenario games and have noticed that the issue seems to happens when I go from an NA scenario game to a campaign game and then back again to an NA scenario game.

The first time this happened, I restarted my computer (using restart and not a hard restart with a shutdown first) to refresh it and got the Dell Blue screen of death (I have a Dell computer) as per the pic below:

I was able to restart the computer with no apparent issue, but I understand this (the blue screen report) has something to do with a Windows issue of not being able to handle something...something perhaps caused by the game when it became unresponsive.

When I played the next day, I started with a PBEM NA scenario, then played a PBEM 39 scenario (without restarting anything), and everything seemed fine. I then decided to quit the game and restart my computer, which I did because I wanted to see if refreshing the game and my computer would get rid of the issue if I were to switch back to an NA game again, but when I tried to restart the computer (as before) to do so, I again got the Dell Blue screen of death!

I'm sure I have no hardware issues and my computer is more than capable of handling the game, which leads me to think that the issue may be with the NA scenario, as kennonlightfoot has also noticed. I did play multiple NA PBEM scenarios (only) going back and forth between then without restarting the game, before starting the 39 scenario PBEM games, and had no issues until I started going back and forth between the NA scenario games and the 39 scenario games. This leads to the possibility that if there is a problem with the NA scenario, it may only manifest itself when switching to and from a campaign scenario. I have no idea if this is even remotely possible...

Thoughts anyone?

Alvaro?

Thanks,

C
Attachments
Dellblue..ofdeath.jpg
Dellblue..ofdeath.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 309 times
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Edorf

RE: Game becomes unresponsive when switching from the NA scenario to the 39 scenario and back with PBEM

Post by Edorf »

Re. «Kernel Data Inpage Error”

Usually this error is related to RAM or hard drive failure

This may shed some light on the problem you have

https://www.lifewire.com/fix-kernel-dat ... or-4689916

https://thegeekpage.com/kernel-data-inpage-error/

AlvaroSousa

RE: Game becomes unresponsive when switching from the NA scenario to the 39 scenario and back with PBEM

Post by AlvaroSousa »

That's what I said to him.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Edorf

Post by Edorf »

ORIGINAL: AlvaroSousa

That's what I said to him.

Ok. I see:)
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

ORIGINAL: Edorf

Re. «Kernel Data Inpage Error”

Usually this error is related to RAM or hard drive failure

This may shed some light on the problem you have

https://www.lifewire.com/fix-kernel-dat ... or-4689916

https://thegeekpage.com/kernel-data-inpage-error/
Many thanks Edorf for your input.

I ran a full hardware diagnostic analysis with Dell Support Assistant (the full 40 minute one) and everything checked out, plus my computer is only about two years old. I know that age may not mean anything, but I was hoping the diagnostic tests would.[:(]

I am not that tech savvy but do have a basic knowledge of computers. When I look at my virtual memory, I see that the total paging file size for all drives is 2432 MB, but when I select "change", I see first of all, that the paging file size is set to be automatically managed but the currently allocated amount is a bit lower than the recommended amount. Secondly, I see that there is no paging file (none in terms of size) set for my D: Drive, where I have the game installed (there are still of course some components present on my C: drive; in C:\Users\Username\AppData\LocalLow\Kraken Studios), but should I have a paging file size set for my D: drive? I'm not sure I need one since I did get memory dumps each time I got the BSOD on restarting.
I suppose it can't hurt if I set a paging file size (auto managed) for the D: drive, so that is what I did.

I did play one turn yesterday of my PBEM NA game, quit the game, and restarted the computer, and this time did not see the BSOD on restarting, so the last time I got that under the same circumstances, was just by coincidence.

I will follow the links you provided and see about running more tests, particularly RAM tests, but I thought that was already tested when I ran the full Dell diagnostic tests...

Thanks again and thank you too Alvaro.

I'll post back with what I find.

Cheers,

C

What I did was
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

Ok, I just got the BSOD upon restarting after setting a paging file size (auto managed) on my D:\ Drive, so it definitely has nothing to do with the game. sorry about that Alvaro.[:(]

I ran an extensive memory test and every checks out fine, so I will follow-up with Dell support.

Also, the screen BSOD capture I put up above was not the exact one I experienced and apparently keep experiencing, because it flashes up and disappears so fast, that I just used a random image from the internet, so my error code is not necessarily the Kernel Data Inpage Error. It could be something else. I need to be ready with my phone to snap a pic the next time it happens, so I can discuss it with Dell support.

Cheers,

C

-Aristotle-
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

No apology needed. I know how tough PCs can be. I don't know how average people do it. Every 3 years I have to update myself and I used to work in the industry. The operating systems are so complex that it amazes me people get anything done with it without some week long course in windows.

So generally for a BSOD the order of things that break most frequently in hardware is the following
hard drive
graphics card
motherboard
memory
CPU (unbelievably rare)

They should check the event viewer to see what error specifically caused the crash.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

I need to take a picture to capture the error message the next time it happens.

Thanks,

C

-Aristotle-

Return to “War Plan: Tech Support”