Timing of Scripted Events

Strategic Command is back, and this time it is bringing you the Great War!

Moderator: MOD_Strategic_Command_3

mdsmall

Timing of Scripted Events

Post by mdsmall »

Why do some events in the game determined by scripts - such as Decision Events or mobilization of new units - occur at the beginning of a player's turn, while others occur at the end of the turn? Surely it makes more sense to have all scripted events occur at the beginning of a player's turn, so you can adjust your forces based on the decision you made, or move newly mobilized units into or out of harm's way. Is this difference in timing a deliberate design feature for certain kinds of events? If so, why?
Taxman66

RE: Timing of Scripted Events

Post by Taxman66 »

It's because of the date of the events (or in some cases the random chances). Most of these events don't fall on the exact turn date so sometimes the event will occur at the beginning of your turn (if the event occurs in the time elapse window between the end of your opponent's turn and the start of yours); and sometimes at the end of your turn (if the event occurs after your turn date but before the start of your opponents).
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
mdsmall

Post by mdsmall »

I thought something like that was probably the reason. Thanks for explaining exactly how the historic dates map against the respective player turns. But from a game-play point of view, why have it this way? The dates for each script could be easily adjusted by a few days so that these events always fall at the beginning of the moving player's turn.

Why, for example, should the DE for Serbian General General Jankovic appear at the end of the second Entente turn - so he mobilizes after their move ends and thus is more easily attacked by the enemy - when he could show up at the beginning of the second turn, or the beginning of the third turn? Ditto for about half of the Russian units that mobilize in Poland in August 1914.

There may be specific events which make sense falling at the end of the moving player's turn, but it seems to me the default setting should be at the beginning.
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

ORIGINAL: mdsmall

I thought something like that was probably the reason. Thanks for explaining exactly how the historic dates map against the respective player turns. But from a game-play point of view, why have it this way? The dates for each script could be easily adjusted by a few days so that these events always fall at the beginning of the moving player's turn.

Why, for example, should the DE for Serbian General General Jankovic appear at the end of the second Entente turn - so he mobilizes after their move ends and thus is more easily attacked by the enemy - when he could show up at the beginning of the second turn, or the beginning of the third turn? Ditto for about half of the Russian units that mobilize in Poland in August 1914.

There may be specific events which make sense falling at the end of the moving player's turn, but it seems to me the default setting should be at the beginning.

+1
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods

Return to “Strategic Command: World War I”