DW2 Graphics

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

reapercorfu

DW2 Graphics

Post by reapercorfu »

Hello, First of all to say i am very hyped about the game i cant wait to play it. My question is if the graphics of the game we all saw in the stream are the same graphics the game will have at release. To be honest iam not very excited about them. i have watched many times the stream but something is i do not like about the graphics of the game, the planets seem 'dead' and the background (nebulas , etc) a bit ''static'' , sorry for not expressing with the right worlds maybe. what do you guys think ? and please dont get me wrong as i said i am hyped about the game and is a must buy for me.
SirHoraceHarkness

RE: DW2 Graphics

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

This is still early beta and there is much polish left to apply to the game. The main goal of beta will be to make sure all the game mechanics are working and bug free then they can do the final stretch of making the game pretty.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Galaxy227

Post by Galaxy227 »

Go treat yourself to a few hours of DW1, then come back and tell me DW2 isn't a significant improvement.

Code Force does not have the time or money to make their game the next Cyberpunk in terms of graphical fidelity, otherwise we'd have exactly that. DW2 is already a looker in comparison to its predecessor, and I for one am extremely happy with the graphical improvements of the new title.

My body is ready for three-dimensional space battles.
Borogwain

Post by Borogwain »

DWU1 graphics is not all that bad I must confess. Maybe I am just old but there is some intriguing appeal in that. Also 2D is way easier to mod even for such non-graphic as myself ;) But most important of all DWU1 look fares very well in making the game world alive. That is - in visuals category - greatest achievement of DWU1. Game world seems very much alive. Idea of private sector and its representation in game world is just brilliant. And all I hope for in terms of visuals is that DWU2 at least will continue what DWU1 achieved.
Dd_01

Post by Dd_01 »

DW1 graphics is ok. I run it with a self-made mod though (assembled from half-dozen other mods); I replaced some elements of the UI, some ships (mostly from the old version shipsets) and planets, and it's alright for me.
DW2 graphics is ok as well, as I can tell.
Sild

Post by Sild »

I agree and have said as much on occasion. The graphics need some more bells and whistles. It dosen't have to be anything extravagant but as they are right now they're simply.. Bland. Wasted potential, imo.

And just to adress the conception that only AAA games can have good looking graphics, that's just wrong. There are a large number of 1,2 or 3 man teams working on projects that have modern graphics. Starsector springs to mind.

I feel that it's one of the things that can draw a sig ificant number of players just by itself. First impressions matter, and graphics do that.
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

There are many on the DW forums that don't care too much for visual immersion and would be content if DW2 had 1992-style fidelity.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

ORIGINAL: Sild

I agree and have said as much on occasion. The graphics need some more bells and whistles. It dosen't have to be anything extravagant but as they are right now they're simply.. Bland. Wasted potential, imo.

And just to adress the conception that only AAA games can have good looking graphics, that's just wrong. There are a large number of 1,2 or 3 man teams working on projects that have modern graphics. Starsector springs to mind.

I feel that it's one of the things that can draw a sig ificant number of players just by itself. First impressions matter, and graphics do that.
Starsector has the same advantage that DW1 had - pure 2D.

If you only have to deal with 2 dimensions, a number of things are easier. Orbiging planets for example are no problem in 2D. Just asme the ship and spaceports are flying over the planet, rather then into it.

Back in the old days when 3D was still new, a lot of games became poorer for having made the 2D/3D switch. And 2D platformers and fighting games are now making a comeback.
Sild

Post by Sild »

2D is simpler than 3D, clearly. However by improving the graphics i'm not saying increase the polygon count or other improvements that require real time calculations like your orbits example. All they have to do is higher res textures on planets and stars and improved lighting (this is feel is very important), better static galaxy background (higher res, nicer lighting) and effects (weapons, engines etc). This is the bare minimum that would vastly improve initial impression of the game. There are other improvements that could be made, but those would require significantly more work.

The game is 3d, there's no sense in arguing over whether 3d is better or more popular than 2d or vice versa. Visually, however I feel it is lacking in that wow factor I belive is especially important in Sci fi space games. These are my suggestions for improving the game and drawing more potential players that would be tempted to skip on these gems simply because it does not inspire confidence through the outdated visuals.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

The streams and YouTube heavily compress what we see, so things like the backdrop are hard to distinguish.

It does look better.

But more patience is required as further information is released over the year. Keep the faith (and hype). [:)]
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Pymous

Post by Pymous »

Hello,
Personally I am a little sad with the move to 3D because I won't be able to mod the game graphics/units :'(
(especially because the 3D doesn't seems to add anything really new to the gameplay? And because it will be harder to mod?)

But hopefully we have a new generation of 3D modellers-modders!

Can't wait to play the game :)
[Mod]Shadow Stratagems Artpack for Shadow Empire game.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: Pymous

Hello,
Personally I am a little sad with the move to 3D because I won't be able to mod the game graphics/units :'(
(especially because the 3D doesn't seems to add anything really new to the gameplay? And because it will be harder to mod?)

But hopefully we have a new generation of 3D modellers-modders!

Can't wait to play the game :)

I've never used Blender before, installed it yesterday and made a 'ship' in minutes. It's really easy!

In fact, it was quite fun. I'm not a modder but look forward to creating some stuff for DW2.

If I can do it, you can too. 👍
Hyperion1

Post by Hyperion1 »

I tried Blender, but getting to the texture part, it becomes suddenly over complex.
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: Hyperion1

I tried Blender, but getting to the texture part, it becomes suddenly over complex.

Ha! I'll be honest, I've not tried texturing yet. [:D]
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Heh was going to mention that making a ship mesh is pretty easy. Texturing it takes some art skills and aligning it correctly on the ship mesh is an another skill all on its own especially how you have to carve up the textures into sections to properly apply them. 2D art on the other hand is much simpler as its more or less like a painting.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
balto

Post by balto »

I hope there is some smoking hot female leaders in this version. Who cares if there face is like.., an alligator, give them smoking hot bods. And I guess throw in some well built men for the few ladies that are playing.
LordMM

Post by LordMM »

Graphics will eventually improve with time. Either with updates or because of mods. If the game sells well and has a decent customer base, then it will have a good base for modders. Right now I want it to run well If I run a 2000 star galaxy.
It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly, than to live somebody else's life with perfection.
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

Game performance and mechanics over graphics anyday of the week. Graphics is only icing on the cake. As long as the graphics don't infringe on the first two parts that I don't mind better more flashy graphics.

From what I have seen the graphic seem quite appropriate for the type of game that it is. I don't want the game to turn out like something as Stellaris that is mostly pretty but not well done mechanically and with poor late game performance issues.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”