Epic book series (any genre)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: Epic book series (any genre)

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

I believe you. Amazon states that The Battle for Norway is the second book in a series of two. Which one is the first one please?

Thanks
warspite1

Correct. The German Invasion of Norway is the first book and details the build up to the campaign, the opening moves by each side and ultimately the landings at each of the MG targets, together with the British/Norwegian response.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Thanks [:)]
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Ever tried a supposed good series, you couldn't finish because of some element of the novels?

Tried real hard to read Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever 2 series of three. But the main character, he was so unlikeable. Always whining, complaining. Sucked any fun out of the experience. I made it to the 3rd book and quit.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
Ever tried a supposed good series, you couldn't finish because of some element of the novels?
The Mission Earth series by L Ron Hubbard. The first several books were actually pretty good. Then it got weird. Very, very weird.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Tried real hard to read Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever 2 series of three. But the main character, he was so unlikeable. Always whining, complaining. Sucked any fun out of the experience. I made it to the 3rd book and quit.
I read and liked the first two trilogies: The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever and The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I didn't know that Stephen Donaldson had written a third trilogy, The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant so never got round to reading it. The title character is a complicated man. Broken and embittered by leprosy and shunned by everyone in the society in which he lived.

It's easy to see him as unlikeable but he was trapped either in the real world or elsewhere. Leprosy was the one truth he had to accept in order to survive the real world and everything other than that was a lie to etch away at the core of belief. The first two trilogies were his journey into understanding. And he railed against it every step of the way.

Anyway, not easy to read.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

I finished the Thomas Covenant books, but I didn't enjoy them.

Then there was Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series of books. Three (or four?) wonderful trilogies set in a medieval world of ritual magic, high religious rites, and dynastic civil war, followed by a depressing trilogy of prequels about a time when the good guys were being persecuted and killed off one by one, with the only silver lining of each book being that the deposed royal family left an heir to be the subject of the next depressing story.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

David Glantz 4 book Stalingrad series.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Eambar

Post by Eambar »

Had this one in my hands last weekend in another attempt to give it a go. Read it a while but just couldn't get into it. Have put it down again for now.

One of the other science fiction/fantasy series I have tried to read in the past, and may give another go soon is Julian May's Saga of the Exiles.

This may be heresy now, but I picked up the first three books of A Song of Ice and Fire in 2000, thought they were OK but have never continued the series.

Two other series I like not in the fantasy realm are George G Gilman's western series Edge and Adam Steele and Sven Hassel's Legion of the Damned .

Cheers
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

Terry Pratchett - Discworld series
Massattack

Post by Massattack »

Loved the whole "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, couldn't put them down from start to finish. But RR Martin
created a monster with all the threads so no idea how he will be able to pull them all together for the last
two books in the series to come.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Can't believe I almost forget Maurice Druon's series The Iron King and following books. Historical fiction about 14th century France. Reviewers call it "the original Game of Thrones"--intrigue, war, love, etc. Very good, at least the first five books. The last, sixth, book is totally different and unconnected to the first five, and sucks.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Has anyone else read the Brotherhood of War series by WEB Griffin? Really fun read series.
Yes, I read it. But I found it a bit repetitive after a while. Fun read though.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Re-reading the Sharpe series now. First time I read it in chronological order. And a couple of newer volumes that I previously missed.

xxxx

01 Sharpe's Tiger Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Seringapatam, 1799 1997
02 Sharpe's Triumph Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Assaye, September 1803 1998
03 Sharpe's Fortress Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Gawilghur, December 1803 1999
04 Sharpe's Trafalgar Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Trafalgar, October 1805 2000
05 Sharpe's Prey Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Copenhagen, 1807 2001
06 Sharpe's Rifles Richard Sharpe and the French Invasion of Galicia, January 1809 1988
07 Sharpe's Havoc Richard Sharpe and the Campaign in Northern Portugal, Spring 1809 2003
08 Sharpe's Eagle Richard Sharpe and the Talavera Campaign, July 1809 1981
09 Sharpe's Gold Richard Sharpe and the Destruction of Almeida, August 1810 1981
10 Sharpe's Escape Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Bussaco, September 1810 2004
11 Sharpe's Fury Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Barrosa March 1811, Winter 1811 2007
12 Sharpe's Battle Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro, May 1811 1995
13 Sharpe's Company Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Badajoz, January to April 1812 1982
14 Sharpe's Sword Richard Sharpe and the Salamanca Campaign, June and July 1812 1983
15 Sharpe's Skirmish Richard Sharpe and the Defence of the Tormes, August 1812 (short story) 1999 revised extended edition published 2002
16 Sharpe's Enemy Richard Sharpe and the Defence of Portugal, Christmas 1812 1984
17 Sharpe's Honour Richard Sharpe and the Vitoria Campaign, February to June 1813 1985
18 Sharpe's Regiment Richard Sharpe and the Invasion of France, June to November 1813 1986
19 Sharpe's Christmas December 1813, Franco-Spanish border (short story) 1994 revised edition published 2003
20 Sharpe's Siege Richard Sharpe and the Winter Campaign, 1814 1987
21 Sharpe's Revenge Richard Sharpe and the Peace of 1814 1989
22 Sharpe's Waterloo Richard Sharpe and the Waterloo Campaign, 15 June to 18 June 1815 1990
23 Sharpe's Ransom December 1816, Normandy (short story) 1994 revised edition published 2003
24 Sharpe's Devil Richard Sharpe, Thomas Cochrane and the Emperor, 1820–21 1992
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
RFalvo69

Post by RFalvo69 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Not sure if they can be counted as a book series - but I'll count them anyway.

Four books by the wonderful Geirr H Haarr that centre on the naval campaigns of 1939-40 in and around the North Sea

No Room For Mistakes
The Gathering Storm
The German Invasion of Norway
The Battle of Norway

Stonkingly good reads

I have them all. Very detailed, even if a bit dry. Sometimes the author starts to describe technical specs in painful detail. Not an easy reading like "Castles of Steel", but a must but for all naval aficionados.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

ORIGINAL: mikkey

Terry Pratchett - Discworld series

This. The best 30 or so books ever.
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Re-reading the Sharpe series now. First time I read it in chronological order. And a couple of newer volumes that I previously missed.

xxxx

01 Sharpe's Tiger Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Seringapatam, 1799 1997
02 Sharpe's Triumph Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Assaye, September 1803 1998
03 Sharpe's Fortress Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Gawilghur, December 1803 1999
04 Sharpe's Trafalgar Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Trafalgar, October 1805 2000
05 Sharpe's Prey Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Copenhagen, 1807 2001
06 Sharpe's Rifles Richard Sharpe and the French Invasion of Galicia, January 1809 1988
07 Sharpe's Havoc Richard Sharpe and the Campaign in Northern Portugal, Spring 1809 2003
08 Sharpe's Eagle Richard Sharpe and the Talavera Campaign, July 1809 1981
09 Sharpe's Gold Richard Sharpe and the Destruction of Almeida, August 1810 1981
10 Sharpe's Escape Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Bussaco, September 1810 2004
11 Sharpe's Fury Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Barrosa March 1811, Winter 1811 2007
12 Sharpe's Battle Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Fuentes de Oñoro, May 1811 1995
13 Sharpe's Company Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Badajoz, January to April 1812 1982
14 Sharpe's Sword Richard Sharpe and the Salamanca Campaign, June and July 1812 1983
15 Sharpe's Skirmish Richard Sharpe and the Defence of the Tormes, August 1812 (short story) 1999 revised extended edition published 2002
16 Sharpe's Enemy Richard Sharpe and the Defence of Portugal, Christmas 1812 1984
17 Sharpe's Honour Richard Sharpe and the Vitoria Campaign, February to June 1813 1985
18 Sharpe's Regiment Richard Sharpe and the Invasion of France, June to November 1813 1986
19 Sharpe's Christmas December 1813, Franco-Spanish border (short story) 1994 revised edition published 2003
20 Sharpe's Siege Richard Sharpe and the Winter Campaign, 1814 1987
21 Sharpe's Revenge Richard Sharpe and the Peace of 1814 1989
22 Sharpe's Waterloo Richard Sharpe and the Waterloo Campaign, 15 June to 18 June 1815 1990
23 Sharpe's Ransom December 1816, Normandy (short story) 1994 revised edition published 2003
24 Sharpe's Devil Richard Sharpe, Thomas Cochrane and the Emperor, 1820–21 1992

[&o]

How could I forget this series? Excellent!

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Series guys, series :)

But I like seeing mention of occasional great works.

Has anyone else read the Brotherhood of War series by WEB Griffin? Really fun read series.
That and the series called There Will Be War edited by Pournelle Basically a series of short fictions divided into types.

You might want to check out the series The Corps, by the same author, WEB Griffin. I didn't think it was quite as enjoyable as The Brotherhood, but sill fun read.

Another series, in SciFy - war is David Webbers Honor Harrington series.

Rick
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

The Corps has some glaring errors in it.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

DeepBlack

Post by DeepBlack »

I seldom read fiction so the best "series" would be
something non-fictional like the Time-Life Series on WWII,
The Old West, Ancient Empires etc.

I enjoy the genre of books that focus on one
subject and follow it throughout history. Kurlansky
has done this with each of his Salt, Paper and Cod books.
Ennos recently released "The Age of Wood - Our Most Useful
Material and the Construction of Civilization".

Such books reveal fascinating tidbits. For example,
some of England's woodland extant today was originally
planted as a means to sustain their (extinct) wooden shipbuilding
industry. The first modern steam powered machine tool
was made for the purpose of automating production
of wooden block and tack gear for Royal Navy ships during
the Napoleonic era. This machinery remained in service
until the 1960's!
Portsmouth Block Mills
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »