Can't reinforce?

Moderator: Hubert Cater

Christolos

Can't reinforce?

Post by Christolos »

I can't reinforce a Russian corps that is at supply level 7, has full action points (4), and Russia still has 406 MPPs.

Any idea what's going on? Am I missing something?

C
Attachments
Cantreinforce.jpg
Cantreinforce.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 492 times
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
EarlyDoors

RE: Can't reinforce?

Post by EarlyDoors »

I've seen it before, notably when the Sevastopol corps is beseiged. I think it may be to do with a resource being cut-off from its capital. Is that the case here?
21-21 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
http://scwaw-rankings.com/
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

I believe in this case it is because you are in Chinese controlled territory with your Soviet unit, and because the USSR is not a cooperative ally to the Chinese, you are not able to reinforce while there.
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

ORIGINAL: EarlyDoors

I've seen it before, notably when the Sevastopol corps is beseiged. I think it may be to do with a resource being cut-off from its capital. Is that the case here?
Hi EarlyDoors,
Thanks for the suggestion, but that is not it.

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

I believe in this case it is because you are in Chinese controlled territory with your Soviet unit, and because the USSR is not a cooperative ally to the Chinese, you are not able to reinforce while there.

Thanks Hubert but I'm not so sure that could be it either because I have been able to reinforce my other Russian units North and North East of the position in Question. You can't see them in the picture I uploaded because they are covered by the right click menu...

I just noticed another situation, however, in this same area, which I'm guessing does apply to the fact that the USSR is not a cooperative ally to the Chinese, and that is that the Chinese light tank unit, in the picture below, does not appear to be drawing any supplies from the Russian HQ that could otherwise provide up to supply level 7 to the hex containing the Chinese light tank unit. As it is, this unit is only at supply level 3.

C
Attachments
Whyundersupplied1.jpg
Whyundersupplied1.jpg (180.67 KiB) Viewed 492 times

-Aristotle-
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

For those Soviet units you were able to reinforce, are they in Soviet 'controlled' territory? e.g. is it red underneath them, or the pale blueish/grey colour underneath indicating it is Chinese controlled territory? For example, the one unit in your first post looks to be sitting on Chinese controlled territory in Manchuria etc.

For uncooperative majors the maximum supply a unit can draw from the uncooperative major would be 3. At one time it was I believe 0, but that was felt to be too punitive so we changed it to 3 to provide some supply but not much etc.
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

Hi Hubert,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by red underneath them, or the pale blueish/grey colour underneath...
I have a hard time seeing some of the colors used for shading hexes (like the transfer points in the US to go from East to West and vice versa) due to my partial color blindness.

What I can say, is that the unit in the first pic that could not reinforce, was able to reinforce when I moved it one hex to where it now appears (at strength 9) in the second picture I uploaded. I suppose this was because I moved out of Chinese controlled territory, even though I only moved one hex to the North East of where it was when it couldn't be reinforced, but isn't the whole area around Tsitsihar also in Manchuria? Where is the line then that would delineate where in Manchuria this would happen and where it would not?

Thanks,

C

-Aristotle-
EarlyDoors

Post by EarlyDoors »

here is the Sevastopol situation

The fortress and both ports are at 12 yet the corps cannot be reinforced

Attachments
sevastopol-resupply.jpg
sevastopol-resupply.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 492 times
21-21 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

A unit that is surrounded on all land hexes can only reinforce to a maximum strength of 5.

In this circumstance it may be best to have an alternative unit (if available) that can be transported in at full strength and upgraded to replace the defenders.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

ORIGINAL: Christolos

Hi Hubert,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by red underneath them, or the pale blueish/grey colour underneath...
I have a hard time seeing some of the colors used for shading hexes (like the transfer points in the US to go from East to West and vice versa) due to my partial color blindness.

What I can say, is that the unit in the first pic that could not reinforce, was able to reinforce when I moved it one hex to where it now appears (at strength 9) in the second picture I uploaded. I suppose this was because I moved out of Chinese controlled territory, even though I only moved one hex to the North East of where it was when it couldn't be reinforced, but isn't the whole area around Tsitsihar also in Manchuria? Where is the line then that would delineate where in Manchuria this would happen and where it would not?

Thanks,

C

Hi Christolos,

There is no specific line as you begin to liberate territory in Manchuria, there could just be a mix of territory that is held by the Chinese and some that is held by the Soviets. It all depends on how you've moved units into the territory.

We show this via the control colours that differ between nations and in your case I now understand it is not immediately apparent and therefore very difficult or near impossible to see this differentiation.

From my end all I see is that in your first screenshot the Soviet unit was actually sitting on Chinese controlled territory within Manchuria which is why it could not reinforce. In your second screenshot it was sitting in Soviet controlled territory within Manchuria which is why it could then reinforce.

It's just a general rule related to cooperative status for both situations.

Hubert

EarlyDoors

Post by EarlyDoors »

Ah ok, i didn't know that

Presumably that applies often on those tiny pacific islands!
21-21 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

ORIGINAL: BillRunacre

A unit that is surrounded on all land hexes can only reinforce to a maximum strength of 5.

In this circumstance it may be best to have an alternative unit (if available) that can be transported in at full strength and upgraded to replace the defenders.
Hi Bill

I can't reinforce my SNFL unit with a supply of five further than five but the US marines were able to reinforce up to eight.
Are special forces exempt from the upper rule?

Attachments
Reinforcements.jpg
Reinforcements.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 492 times
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

I believe this is correct, as the siege rule applies only to units located in cities/towns etc., and the Japanese cannot reinforce further than 5 as they are considered surrounded by the US marines there.

But the US marines were likely able to reinforce as they have a bonus inherent supply from their recent landing and they are not in a city or town.

It's a bit of a quirk for sure, as up until now units could not reinforce when surrounded unless they were literally sitting on a supply source such as a city or town.

But that being said I'd be hesitant to include Special Forces or HQs into the siege rule as the whole reason they have this extra little bit of supply, and a diminishing supply at that once they land amphibiously, was to provide them with bonus supply due to the likelihood of them landing in these exact zero supply type situations.
The Land

Post by The Land »

This does strike me as odd, when there is a functional port next to the unit. If a fresh unit can be transported in, then why can't replacements for the unit that's already there?
1985 Red Storm mod - Beta testing!

Always wanted to play a "Cold War goes hot" scenario? Come and join in!
EarlyDoors

Post by EarlyDoors »

Sweden joined the Allies after diplomacy from UK/USA and made amphibious landing to capture German controlled Liepaja (which I think starts the game as Latvian until annexed by USSR)

After a few turns it has a level 5 port and has shipped their HQ into the town

The HQ is only getting a supply of 3 and distributing supply of 6

I suddenly realize that Liepaja flips back to USSR control and is therefore classed as non-cooperative

Its infuriating that I've got a strength 2 swedish army that I cannot reinforce even though its receiving supply 4

Firstly, is that right?

Secondly, seems wrong that Sweden can't get enough supply to resources that are so close to its shoreline

..took me ages to set-up that assault
21-21 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Its infuriating that I've got a strength 2 swedish army that I cannot reinforce even though its receiving supply 4

Can you post a screenshot?

I take it that Sweden's Allied parent has sufficient MPPs too?
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
EarlyDoors

Post by EarlyDoors »

Can you post a screenshot?

I take it that Sweden's Allied parent has sufficient MPPs too?

Sadly I can't get a screenshot as USSR surrendered the next turn

The Town has now flipped to UK control

Allowing reinforcements

..Yes there were enough Mpps
21-21 PBEM++
-----------
Honours the game
-----------

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”