Repeatable Strategy to Conquer Warsaw on turn 1

LuciusSulla

Repeatable Strategy to Conquer Warsaw on turn 1

Post by LuciusSulla »

For why this is important, see tm.asp?m=4593377

The idea is to storm Warsaw with 4 tank, 1 corps and 1 tac-bomber attacks to kill that garrison. This strategy heavily employs the rule that units with less than 5 strength do not radiate ZOCs.

Red arrows indicates attacks; blue arrows indicates movements; yellow arrows indicates bombards.

1: attack bordering Polish units to reduce their strength to less than 5

2: use the fighter recon to trigger interception; advancing units

3: destroy the southern cavalry (the attack is usually enough, if not, use the tac-bomber); bombard Poznan prior to an assault to reduce its strength

4: assualt Poznan. This army attacking is usually enough. However, in my case it did not inflict damage.

5: bringing in another army to attack poznan (as red circle shows). Now there is nothing stopping our two tanks from reaching Warsaw

6: reduce the Polish Corps' strength so that the army could reach Warsaw. Assualt Warsaw. The tac-bomber should be used after 2-4 land attacks so that it could inflict more strength dmg as the entrenchment is lower. 5 land attacks an a tac-bomber attack is almost certain enough to destroy that garrison.

7: the army has 1 action point left. Warsaw is yours
Tidavis

RE: Repeatable Strategy to Conquer Warsaw on turn 1

Post by Tidavis »

What difficulty level did you do this experiment at? So far I have done Everything except easy and novice.

No luck repeating this result.
Yogol

Post by Yogol »

ORIGINAL: Tidavis

What difficulty level did you do this experiment at? So far I have done Everything except easy and novice.

No luck repeating this result.

This is on a lower difficulty level. On Intermediate or Expert, this fails.

But I did enjoy it: it teaches the use of zones of control, something that I didn't know very well.
LuciusSulla

Post by LuciusSulla »

Coming back to this game after one year. I tried this again after the patch strengthening Poznan Army. It seems that a one-turn Polish conquer still has really high success rate.

For testing, I tried 5 times in a row and 4 out of 5 times I succeeded.

Here is the video recording of I trying it:
part 1: https://youtu.be/GnwiWS6aE4c
part 2: https://youtu.be/bRmOhMRiPBI

Please note that out of the 4 successful runs, each time is a little bit different as the initial dice rolls differs, and I had to correspondingly rearrange the following orders. So perhaps the strategy is no longer "repeatable" with rigidly following each step, but conquer Warsaw on turn 1 is nevertheless still very doable and most of this strategy still applies.
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

Tradeoff is that you lose some experience gains from killing everything you see.
Jackmck

Post by Jackmck »

Other factors to consider is to minimize Axis causalities, especially armor, and positioning them for quick relocation to fight in the west- a few undamaged units ending the turn on railroads would be ideal.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

Do you think there should at least be a corps on Warsaw or army? Historically the Germans were stopped there and had to bring up artillery to soften up Warsaw before securing it.
In other games, it is very difficult to clear. I know it might give the allies a bit too much of an advantage if Germany is delayed too much, but I think it would be more historical to beef it up a bit.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

The bulk of the forces that defended Warsaw weren't in the city at the start, but instead moved there during the campaign. Even some of the Poznan Army managed to reach the city after launching their attacks into the German flank along the Bzura river.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
amandkm

Post by amandkm »

Maybe there could be a script encouraging Polish units to retreat towards Warsaw if beaten in a field combat? That would create a 'speed bump' slowing the German advance some.
GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance »

ORIGINAL: amandkm

Maybe there could be a script encouraging Polish units to retreat towards Warsaw if beaten in a field combat? That would create a 'speed bump' slowing the German advance some.

When will they retreat? This is a one turn exploit. Even winning on turn 2 made me feel like I swindled Poland out of a fair fight when I defeated Poland or maybe it is the right time frame. I think one turn is about 2 or 3 weeks or something so I guess a 2 turn win is normal. I read about another game on this website called 'Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris' which actually makes Poland too hard for people to defeat until they play it 3 or 4 times. I guess that is going a bit overboard on beefing up Poland but that game only has 2 battles in it so Poland must be more meaty to give people a challenge.
amandkm

Post by amandkm »

They'd retreat towards Warsaw on T1 if they lose a field combat, but are not destroyed. That would slow German units who would have to finish them off in order to get at the Capital.

Return to “AAR”