[Logged] TACVIEW Aircraft Stuttering Bug

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

HypOps

[Logged] TACVIEW Aircraft Stuttering Bug

Post by HypOps »

I've been running into this issue whenever I have air units in close proximity to each other. This issue has came up on both desktop computers that I run CMO on so I don't think its a hardware issue.

Whenever I have several aircraft in proximity to each other and I try to film them up close. They 'stutter' and hop around. I've been trying to film TACVIEW scenes and this really takes away from the cinematic effect.

This bug isn't dependent on the aircraft model as I've run into the same issues with F35s and Chinese J11s

I've attached both the original save file and an Imgur gif which quickly demonstrates the issue.

I suspect the TACVIEW 3D simulation doesn't like it when units are clustered in close proximity.
Has any come across this and found either a solution or a workaround? Thanks!

Attachments
VideoofStutterBug.gif
VideoofStutterBug.gif (1.12 MiB) Viewed 216 times
HypOps

RE: TACVIEW Aircraft Stuttering Bug

Post by HypOps »

Here is the zipped .scen file (I can only submit one file at a time)
Make sure you switch over to the American side to see the units.
Attachments
TACVIEWBug.zip
(15.53 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Logged for investigation.

HypOps

Post by HypOps »

Thanks! Hope to hear back soon!
As an extra bit of info, the aircraft aren't truly refueling, TACVIEW doesn't display the units when they are tanking/refueling, I just manipulated the units in the air to fly super close together to give the cinematic appearance of tanking. Hope this helps you in getting to the bottom of it.
boogabooga

Post by boogabooga »

I think that the thing to keep in mind here is that CMO is not exactly a flight sim, so it is not keeping the continuous sub-meter level of precision in 3D space that you would get from say, DCS.

One thing that I see a lot in Tacview with CMO is a LGB or something looking like it is on target, only for it to detonate several hundred feet away. I guess that's just how CMO's endgame calculation works.
The boogabooga doctrine for CMO: Any intentional human intervention needs to be able to completely and reliably over-ride anything that the AI is doing at any time.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: boogabooga
I think that the thing to keep in mind here is that CMO is not exactly a flight sim, so it is not keeping the continuous sub-meter level of precision in 3D space that you would get from say, DCS.
Actually it is doing that [:)]. What I suspect is happening (without having access to Tacview's source) is that Tacview's renderer doesn't like shapes being exactly on the same spot (because they won't stand out from each other), so it artificially pushes one of them out of the way when they converge below a certain threshold.
One thing that I see a lot in Tacview with CMO is a LGB or something looking like it is on target, only for it to detonate several hundred feet away. I guess that's just how CMO's endgame calculation works.
This is an abstraction of the way CEP-based attacks are resolved; the weapon flies directly to the intended target, and the actual miss offset (distance & bearing) is calculated at the moment of impact/detonation. We are working on a more realistic system where the actual impact/detonation point is determined at weapon launch, but it will take a lot of testing before release as it affects quite a few things.
boogabooga

Post by boogabooga »

My question is, if aircraft position were to glitch randomly by a few meters like that in Tacview, and since normally your view is in the aircraft's frame of reference, how would you know? When other aircraft were nearby, you would be able to tell by looking at changes in relative position, right? But that does not necessarily mean that having nearby aircraft caused the issue.

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

This is an abstraction of the way CEP-based attacks are resolved; the weapon flies directly to the intended target, and the actual miss offset (distance & bearing) is calculated at the moment of impact/detonation. We are working on a more realistic system where the actual impact/detonation point is determined at weapon launch, but it will take a lot of testing before release as it affects quite a few things.

I think that what you are doing now works very well.
The boogabooga doctrine for CMO: Any intentional human intervention needs to be able to completely and reliably over-ride anything that the AI is doing at any time.
HypOps

Post by HypOps »

Is there anything Matrix Games could suggest for my situation? Even a temporary workaround would be most welcome.
Vyrtuoz

Post by Vyrtuoz »

Hi HypOps,

There is no collision management in Tacview and it is accurate enough to display aircraft formation without jittering.

Therefore, I believe this might be a timing issue between the update of the different objects visible your video. Such as coordinates being updated “too late” for some compared to others.

I am going to do some experiments with your data and contact you directly by email for more information.

Return to “Tech Support”