For Testing: Surface Ship Tutorials

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Rory Noonan

For Testing: Surface Ship Tutorials

Post by Rory Noonan »

Attached are the draft surface ship tutorials for inclusion with the standard game installation.

These tutorials are compatible with both Command: Modern Operations and Command: Modern Air Naval Operations.

Feedback is welcome, enjoy!
Attachments
SurfaceTutorials.zip
(116.5 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Rory Noonan

RE: For Testing: Surface Ship Tutorials

Post by Rory Noonan »

Basic Surface Operations 1 – Introduction to Surface Operations

Duration: 3 hours game time (average 5 mins play time with time compression)

This is the first in a series of tutorials designed to teach players the fundamentals of surface operations in Command. In this tutorial, the following topics will be covered:

Control the heading and speed of your ships
Operate surface search radar
Engage surface targets with guns and missiles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basic Surface Operations 2 – Embarked Units

Duration: 6 hours game time (average 15 mins play time with time compression)

This is the second in a series of tutorials designed to teach players the fundamentals of surface operations in Command. In this tutorial, the following topics will be covered:

Conduct embarked aircraft operations
Conduct embarked small boat operations
Operate visual, electro-optical and infra-red sensors

Basic Surface Operations 3 – Basic Anti-Air Warfare

Duration: 4 hours game time (average 15 mins play time with time compression)

This is the third in a series of tutorials designed to teach players the fundamentals of surface operations in Command. In this tutorial, the following topics will be covered:

Operate air search radar
Operate electronic support measures (ESM)
Engage targets with anti-air gunnery
Engage targets with surface-to-air missiles
Engage targets with close-in weapons systems
Deploy decoys and countermeasures

Basic Surface Operations 4 – Basic Anti-Submarine Warfare

Duration: 36 hours game time (average 30 mins play time with time compression)

This is the fourth in a series of tutorials designed to teach players the fundamentals of surface operations in Command. In this tutorial, the following topics will be covered:

Operate active and passive hull sonar
Engage targets with anti-submarine rockets (ASROC)
Engage targets with over-the-side torpedoes
Utilise Sprint and Drift movement
Perform combined ASW operations with embarked helicopters

Basic Surface Operations Exam - Opposed Transit

Duration: 36 hours game time (average 30 mins play time with time compression)

This is the fifth in a series of tutorials designed to teach players the fundamentals of surface operations in Command, and the first ‘Exam’ of the series. In this tutorial, the following topics will be covered:

Engage land targets with Naval Gunfire Support
Conduct underway replenishment (UNREP)
Setting group formations

The player will need to combine the above concepts with knowledge from previous tutorials in this series in order to successfully complete the mission, specifically:

Control the heading and speed of your ships
Operate surface search radar
Engage surface targets with guns and missiles
Conduct embarked aircraft operations
Conduct embarked small boat operations
Operate visual, electro-optical and infra-red sensors
Operate air search radar
Operate electronic support measures (ESM)
Engage targets with anti-air gunnery
Engage targets with surface-to-air missiles
Engage targets with close-in weapons systems
Deploy decoys and countermeasures
Operate active and passive hull sonar
Engage targets with anti-submarine rockets (ASROC)
Engage targets with over-the-side torpedoes
Utilise Sprint and Drift movement
Perform combined ASW operations with embarked helicopters
cmanouser1

Post by cmanouser1 »

Thanks, really interesting series of tutorials.

typo in one of the events "Now that our helicopter is in the air": reciever -> receiver

Side question: this scenario emphasizes the range of the RHIBs, is there anyway to get that range without doing a calculation involving speed, fuel consumption and quantity? If not, could be a nice upgrade to the database, an extra column in the "Performance Details" category

" and of the contact is held for long enough a good estimation of position can be made. "
typo -> if

"Open the speed and altitude dialog by pressing F2 and check the box titled 'Sprint and Drift', then move the speed slider to set your desired average speed at 12 knots. Your crew will then alternate between 'drifting' at creep speed to listen for contacts, and 'sprinting' at flank speed to cover ground. This is a trade-off that sacrifices continuous sensor coverage for speed over ground."
I find Sprint and Drift a bit confusing and this didn't clarify it fully. Can you explain more here? It's not fully clear how the 12kt relates to creep and flank. Does Sprint and Drift always operates at creep and flank, and the average speed merely specifies the ratio of time spent at each speed? The 12kt is averaged over how long / what's the cycle duration?

widespread "sonobouys" typo

reads "This is the fifth in a series of tutorials designed to teach players the fundamentals of surface operations in Command, and the first ‘Exam’ of the series"
I assume there will be more tutorials?

will play 5 later
Karejar

Post by Karejar »

I sincerely appreciate all the tutorials. Thank you very much.
cmanouser1

Post by cmanouser1 »

* RP Oscar should be selected by default so that the name is visible
* first task is to gun with HE-PD, however only the HE-CVT are loaded on mount, requiring to reload. Is that intentional?
* first task asks to allocate 1 salvo to each target, but WRA sets salvos as all weapons, so you can only fire 1 salvo (at 1 target)
* "selecting 'UNREP if possible' > 'Select Tanker Manually'" the option instead reads "Select Provide Automatically" -> is there any reason why it's called provider and not tanker? If not, rename the UI to Tanker
* it should be possible to open the Formation Editor when a unit within the group is selected! Currently it requires the group to be selected [:-]
* should provide more details on how Sprint and Drift interacts with the group speed and the station position
* the autodeploy dipping sonar emcon seems bugged, but that's not linked to that tutorial
* there's an onslaught of missile, I didn't successfully reach Oscar. Tried both the suggested formation and grouping the 3 ships, several times. I just don't have enough RIMs
edit: checking in the editor, it seems that the strategy is to leave the formation and go hunting the patrol crafts with one of the ships?
akd

Post by akd »

Basic Surface Operations 3 – Basic Anti-Air Warfare

-All 4x SM-2s fired on drones missed. I received no further messages until the remaining low altitude drones were acquired, targeted and 2x shot down by guns. The following message then appeared (first para):
Good work. Two drones have been destroyed. If you have been following instructions, they were the two high flying drones (>5,000ft).

Guns continued to engage following this message, but 2 very high drones remained untouchable. The mission then progressed without events for a long time as the drones just circled continuously over the ship. The two drones being lost due to lack of fuel finally triggered the final messages and scenario completion.

I think the issue here is that it needs to be made more clear to the player that only the two high drones first acquired should be F1 automatically targeted until both are destroyed, that way they will each receive a second missile if the first misses. The last paragraph implies this, but it is a bit vague. Alternatively, maybe walk the player through the process of manually targeting and allocating 2x missiles to each target.
-AKD
boogabooga

Post by boogabooga »

In the Surface Tutorial 1.2, every few seconds I get an annoying pause on Event "'Message5' was triggered but did NOT fire (at least one condition failed)."

Perhaps consider reducing the frequency of that check.
The boogabooga doctrine for CMO: Any intentional human intervention needs to be able to completely and reliably over-ride anything that the AI is doing at any time.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

#1. In the message describing how to bring up the sensors box and turn on radars, the instructions say turn on radar but do not mention unchecking the "Unit obeys EMCON" box. That needs to be added or the radars will turn off as soon as the game is unpaused.

#2 After launching the helicopter and turning on it's radar (same comment about the EMCON box), it says after the explanation of optics to plot a course to the contact. I have 5 contacts arrayed from about 9 - 2 in relation to ship's course. Which one? Pick one?

Dave
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
gregb41352

Post by gregb41352 »

Thanks Apache!
akd

Post by akd »

Mission #5
Select HMAS Stuart and use the manual attack order (Shift+F1) to assign one salvo of 127mm/54 HE-PD shells to each target in the NGS Target Field on Pelee, then start time by pressing Space or clicking 'Close & Resume'.

When you open up manual targeting, the player will see a button labeled "Allocate one salvo to selected target(s)" which would seem to be what the above is instructing the player to do. But if you do this, 300 rounds will be allocated to the first target and you will not be able to allocate any HE-PD to the remaining targets. I suspect what is intended here is for the player to use the "Allocate weapons to selected targets(s)" button in combination with some number of rounds (like 20x).

Also noticed that misses are making the water splash sound, which seems strange.
Select HMAS Stuart and order it to replenish from HMAS Sirius by using the right-click unit context menu and selecting 'UNREP if possible' > 'Select Tanker Manually' and then clicking on HMAS Sirius. Once you have ordered HMAS Stuart to UNREP, resume time by pressing Space or clicking 'Close & Resume'.

The UI actually says "Select Provider Manually."
-AKD
cmanouser1

Post by cmanouser1 »

The UI actually says "Select Provider Manually."

My suggestion for this one is to rename the UI to Tanker, instead of renaming the tutorial text to Provider, unless there's a reason why it's provider. This would make the refueling menu use only "Tanker" for consistency.
mikerohan

Post by mikerohan »

ORIGINAL: cmanouser1

[...]
* there's an onslaught of missile, I didn't successfully reach Oscar. Tried both the suggested formation and grouping the 3 ships, several times. I just don't have enough RIMs
edit: checking in the editor, it seems that the strategy is to leave the formation and go hunting the patrol crafts with one of the ships?

Probably, it would be better to defend from the first volley and then send the helo (not the ASW one...) with active radar to search for the patrol crafts (so with higher altitude you get better search radius)...
mikerohan

Post by mikerohan »

ORIGINAL: ultradave

[...]

#2 After launching the helicopter and turning on it's radar (same comment about the EMCON box), it says after the explanation of optics to plot a course to the contact. I have 5 contacts arrayed from about 9 - 2 in relation to ship's course. Which one? Pick one?

Dave

I think that is part of the idea. You have to identify all (most?) of them so you go from one to another until you find the bad guys.
But yes, by the time the message box pops up you have several contacts, so it could have a better wording to reflect the fact that you need to perform an "identification sortie" with the helo.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

ORIGINAL: mikerohan

ORIGINAL: cmanouser1

[...]

Probably, it would be better to defend from the first volley and then send the helo (not the ASW one...) with active radar to search for the patrol crafts (so with higher altitude you get better search radius)...

Ding ding ding.

Remember it's an exam, it's not supposed to be easy and you're drawing on skills and knowledge introduced in earlier tutorials. Like using your shipborne helos for situational awareness.

Oh, and one of them is equipped by default with hellfire missiles...
Tr0ll13n

Post by Tr0ll13n »

Many thanks for those tutorials.

As a brand new player of the game, I find them very informative, in the spirit of the stock submarine tutorials.

This kind of tutorial scenario really helps learning this monstruosity of a game little by little. [:)]

Cheers!
giantsquid

Post by giantsquid »

Thanks for your work. Even if I played about 200 scenarios I found them interesting, very well made and rewarding

FRancesco
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”