Plans for Sixth Gen?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

HalfLifeExpert

Plans for Sixth Gen?

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

With increasing buzz about Sixth Generation combat aircraft, including the US announcement of a flying prototype, are there plans to try and add a few DB entries of a projected 6th Generation fighter? Would the Engine as a whole need an upgrade for it?

Just wondering.
kevinkins

RE: Plans for Sixth Gen?

Post by kevinkins »

I heard that the A/C will have better stealth, increased range, and built from the start to be piloted or unmanned. And you are right, there appears to be a prototype. However, there is not much known about it technically.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Fritz1776

Post by Fritz1776 »

Not likely. We're looking at better stealth, range, maneuverability, payload, etc. What capabilities would this hypothetical 6th gen aircraft posses which aren't already depicted in the current engine? Supermanuverability, AAF, Heads mounted display, fly by wire, etc are all in. The only thing I can think of is lasers, which are still technically present, though their depiction leaves much to be desired. If the concept art is anything to go by we'd essentially be looking at a tailless version of the J-20 built to American technical and manufacturing standards. We'd have to make a lot of assumptions obviously, but unless something truly out there is announced as being among its capabilities, the NGAD should be rather straightforward to slot into the current unit roster.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Maneuverability, yes. That might me why there will be an unmanned capability so as not to put pilots under extreme G forces. But again, just a guess.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Eboreg

Post by Eboreg »

I've seen some speculation over the USN and USAF 6th-gen fighters.

The Navy side of things seems to be focused on shifting priorities to fuel conservation over performance which definitely can be modeled.

The Air Force one looks like the nerds at DARPA have been playing too much Ace Combat 7 and ended up thinking they could make the Arsenal Bird themselves.
Fritz1776

Post by Fritz1776 »

Well not just maneuverability, but supermanuverability. That's something present on the F-22 and numerous aircraft using the more recent Russian derived engines, such as the J-20 or SU-57, but is conspicuously absent on the F-35. Fully unmanned fighters isn't something I see as likely. The technology is getting there, but I can't see the military going all in on such a tech when we are talking something as expensive, fragile, and deadly as a cutting edge fighter craft. If nothing else the risks of IFF failure even within visual range would necessitate human judgment.

Edit: if it isn't clear supermanuverability is a specific attribute certain aircraft posess, and is already present in the game. It has to do with thrust vectoring or similar to allow for impossible purely aerodynamic maneuvers.
Zanthra

Post by Zanthra »

To be fair, the F-35 is a lot smaller and only has one engine when compared to the F-22, J-20 or Su-57.

As far as manned vs unmanned, the military uses plenty of deadly, fragile, highly maneuverable unmanned flying vehicles, they call them missiles, and usually don’t recover them. And they are subject to the same IFF risks an unmanned fighter would be.

PS: Not long ago there was an AI competition for dogfighting in virtual F-16s run by DARPA, so there is definitely research moving in the direction of not just unmanned, but fully autonomous BFM capabilities.

https://youtu.be/NzdhIA2S35w
p1t1o

Post by p1t1o »

I absolutely would not be surprised if "supermanouverability" started to be de-prioritised, it already was in the F35.
The F22 is absolutely a product of the cold war. The last-ditch defence of Western Europe against hordes of Su-35s isnt the prime raison d'etre for NATO air forces any more and cant be again mostly. Air forces paradigms have shifted away and are now much more information-oriented. The best fighter is the one with the best sensors, the longest range missiles, and the darkest skin to counter the other guys sensors. Not necessarily the one that can do the Frolov Chakra with 6 sidewinders.
Its not impossible to design an aircraft that can do both, but they are slightly exclusive.
Absolutely off the top of my head, personal opinion, just saying I wouldnt be surprised.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”